NHL Entry Draft: Pckstpr31's Third Annual Mock

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Hey all,

Had a few days to digest the lottery now, and thought I'd go ahead and post my mock for this year. The last two years I've tried to predict how draft day would play out, and have done pretty terribly. So this year I've spent a bit more time coming up with a personal ranking, and that's what this mock reflects. I'd say it reflects the potential I believe these guys have. I've simply put it in mock format as it's a bit more interesting to look at. This is not a reflection of who I think teams will pick. Just want to make that noted.

I've spent the most time this past year actually trying to stay on top of things and keep watch on certain guys, and put some thought behind a list, than I have in the past. This has been an ever-evolving ranking since around January, but I've been following the players since the start of the year. That being said, there isn't a player on this list I've seen play live (televised) more than maybe 7 or 8 times. However, I'm not simply basing the list off of scattered YouTube highlights. So take it with the grain of salt that comes with some random list on the internet, but know I did put at least a modicum of thought behind it. I didn't provide a write-up on the players as I have in the past and it doesn't seem to change the amount of people that respond to it, so if you want to know why I have someone where I do please comment and get a discussion going! I really enjoy watching and reading about prospects and find these mocks are a great way to further the knowledge that comes with that. Cheers!

UPDATE Jun22 - Rankings as well as mock

1. Nico Hischier
2. Nolan Patrick
3. Elias Pettersson
4. Miro Heiskanen
5. Cale Makar
6. Casey Mittelstadt
7. Gabriel Vilardi
8. Cody Glass
9. Martin Necas
10. Owen Tippett
11. Timothy Liljegren
12. Nick Suzuki
13. Robert Thomas
14. Erik Brannstrom
15. Lias Andersson
16. Eeli Tolvanen
17. Juuso Valimaki
18. Cal Foote
19. Connor Timmins
20. Nic Hague
21. Kailer Yamamoto
22. Michael Rasmussen
23. Kristian Vesalainen
24. Klim Kostin
25. Ryan Poehling
26. Jason Robertson
27. Urho Vaakanainen
28. Josh Norris
29. Isaac Ratcliffe
30. Aleksi Heponiemi
31. Filip Chytil

:devils - Nico Hischier
:flyers - Nolan Patrick
:stars - Miro Heiskanen
:avs - Cale Makar
:nucks - Gabriel Vilardi
:vegas - Casey Mittelstadt
:rangers - Cody Glass
:sabres - Timothy Liljegren
:wings - Elias Pettersson
:panthers - Martin Necas
:kings2 - Owen Tippett
:canes - Michael Rasmussen
:vegas - Juuso Valimaki
:bolts - Nick Suzuki
:vegas - Klim Kostin
:flames - Lias Andersson
:leafs - Robert Thomas
:bruins - Ryan Poehling
:sharks - Kristian Vesalainen
:blues - Eeli Tolvanen
:rangers - Cal Foote
:edmonton - Kailer Yamamoto
:coyotes - Erik Brannstrom
:jets - Urho Vaakanainen
:habs - Josh Norris
:hawks - Nic Hague
:blues - Connor Timmins
:sens - Jason Robertson
:stars - Jake Oettinger
:nashville - Jaret Anderson-Dolan
:pens - Isaac Ratcliffe

Last edited:

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
If you could expand on why you rank Valimaki/Hague/Foote/Timmins the way you do I would appreciate it.

Those 4 seem to be a big toss-up in a lot of mocks and it's usually not that easy to get the right read on the 2nd tier d-men I find. Personally I like Hague out of those 4 but I always like new information.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
If you could expand on why you rank Valimaki/Hague/Foote/Timmins the way you do I would appreciate it.

Those 4 seem to be a big toss-up in a lot of mocks and it's usually not that easy to get the right read on the 2nd tier d-men I find. Personally I like Hague out of those 4 but I always like new information.

Good question, it's something I struggled with and I think it's definitely a bit of a toss-up for sure. I think Valimaki is the clear top guy between them for me. He led Major Junior draft eligible d-men in points, he's got NHL size at 6'-2" 200, he's good defensively. Hague is not far behind though. He moves really well for a guy his size, and it's encouraging. With a lot of 6'6" and taller defenseman you always hear how "if he could get comfortable skating with his size he'd be a force" or something like that, but with Hague I think he's already at a good point. Him and Foote are pretty interchangeable for me, I think Foote is better defensively, but I question his offensive game a bit. I think Timmins is the clear #4 amongst them, but I do really like how steady he is. Doesn't seem to make too many dumb mistakes, and is decent offensively.

All that being said, with how things actually play out in the draft, I could see any one of Valimaki, Foote, or Hague being the top picked guy among the three, and even going before Brannstrom or maybe even Liljegren (not condoning it but just guessing). I actually see them all going before Brannstrom, but that's less to do with them being better and more to do with my lack of confidence in scouts taking an early risk on Brannstrom :laugh: .

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
as a leaf fan I'd be pretty happy with Valimaki, especially if the leafs had their pick of him, foote and hague .

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Why would the Canes, the team with the best D spec pool in the NHL, and a top-5 blueline whose key players are all under-25 take Liljegren when their problems are a lack of F depth in their prospect pool and a lack of a top-end F in the NHL?

It's a pick that makes no sense.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Why would the Canes, the team with the best D spec pool in the NHL, and a top-5 blueline whose key players are all under-25 take Liljegren when their problems are a lack of F depth in their prospect pool and a lack of a top-end F in the NHL?

This is what irritates me when a defenseman goes to Ana in a mock....

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

He said in his intro that he didn't consider team needs at all. Only his player rankings.

That being said, to the OP if you had a C or D going to Detroit who do you think it would be? Similar to the post above I don't like our pick (Tippett) from a team need perspective (we have way too wingers).

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Small LW for Calgary? Just don't see it. Especially with how good Mangiapane has looked.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Pettersson wouldn't be my first choice (any of the following three would be preferable).

1Boliever

Previously HH
Jan 10, 2014
Canada
Small LW for Calgary? Just don't see it. Especially with how good Mangiapane has looked.

Tolvanen I've seen listed as a RW on some places and a LW on others. I agree though in this scenario I think Kostin or Vesalainen are probably the choice.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
I love Timmins but Rasmussen is good too. Id take Rasmussen but this is definitely a good outcome for the Habs.

I'll admit that I have Rasmussen a fair bit lower than he'll actually go. I imagine he goes somewhere between 10-20, but I like others more than him in that range. I think Timmins would be a good selection around where Montreal currently sits.

A little reading goes a long way :nod: I'd be very surprised to see Carolina take a d-man. I have Liljegren ranked at where they happen to select, that's all. They could be a team that looks at Rasmussen early, or maybe someone like Tippett or Pettersson should they slide a bit. Necas maybe too.

He said in his intro that he didn't consider team needs at all. Only his player rankings.

That being said, to the OP if you had a C or D going to Detroit who do you think it would be? Similar to the post above I don't like our pick (Tippett) from a team need perspective (we have way too wingers).

I feel like Pettersson would be a solid pick for them. Could see them going for Necas, Glass, Makar, or Liljegren. I've seen a lot of mocks have them taking Rasmussen, which isn't out of the realm of possibility, but I prefer the other players I listed.

Pettersson wouldn't be my first choice (any of the following three would be preferable).

I'm a really big fan of Pettersson's potential, and because putting on size is something you can do relatively easily with hard work, I think he has a decent chance at reaching it. You're definitely right though in that I'd be really surprised to see Dallas pick someone other than Heiskanen Mittlestadt or Vilardi.

Again, this isn't about team need. Maybe it wasn't the best idea to list the teams and I should've just jotted down a ranking, I just figure it's interesting to see the names around where your team is slated to pick. As a Flames fan I'd love to have Thomas around for their pick, or maybe take a chance on Vesalainen a bit early.

Thanks for the responses guys, more than I was expecting.

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I think Detroit at #9 would take Timothy Liljegren or Cale Makar over Owen Tippett, We need Defense and Centers pretty bad here. If a D man or a Center to our liking wasn't available and Tippett was available at #9 then maybe we take him.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
i would hate it if detroit choose a winger(again)

they have NO value around the league and you cant win anything with 14 wingers, zero centres and zero top dmen

yuck

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago

Pump the brakes

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Quick update here. I've gone ahead and posted my final top 31. That's the order in which I prefer players. Because there was a little confusion with my picks the first time, I've also posted a separate mock. That's my best guess at how the draft will actually play out. It was pretty tough at points, but I definitely enjoyed it, and would love to discuss it with anyone that's curious. Cheers!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad