PC Building Guide and Discussion #14

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Keep in mind, LG is a bunch of dicks and basically they won't fix their Deep Sleep issue for DisplayPort. I have a 34" Ultrawide from LG and there are issues with other models as well where if you turn off the monitor, it'll act as if you disconnect it from your machine and push all icons to your other monitor.

Reactions: Daxi and Hammettf2b

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Keep in mind, LG is a bunch of dicks and basically they won't fix their Deep Sleep issue for DisplayPort. I have a 34" Ultrawide from LG and there are issues with other models as well where if you turn off the monitor, it'll act as if you disconnect it from your machine and push all icons to your other monitor.

From what I've researched that seems to be more a problem with the whole DisplayPort protocol vs any individual monitor manufacturer. I've seen a few monitor companies address it, but I believe the way they go about it is to keep a persistent DisplayPort connection active even during sleep mode. Which they shouldn't have to do.

It really should be Microsoft or Nvidia fixing this issue by giving you the option to maintain a static monitor config. The Nvidia Quadro cards have this option, but the regular RTX series doesn't.

I'm running dual DisplayPort monitors and have yet to find an ideal solution to stop Windows from occasionally temporarily switching the desktop configuration to 1 monitor on wake from Sleep before it recognizes the 2nd monitor. Happens roughly 1/3rd of the time on wake.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
From what I've researched that seems to be more a problem with the whole DisplayPort protocol vs any individual monitor manufacturer. I've seen a few monitor companies address it, but I believe the way they go about it is to keep a persistent DisplayPort connection active even during sleep mode. Which they shouldn't have to do.

It really should be Microsoft or Nvidia fixing this issue by giving you the option to maintain a static monitor config. The Nvidia Quadro cards have this option, but the regular RTX series doesn't.

I'm running dual DisplayPort monitors and have yet to find an ideal solution to stop Windows from occasionally temporarily switching the desktop configuration to 1 monitor on wake from Sleep before it recognizes the 2nd monitor. Happens roughly 1/3rd of the time on wake.

I think it's Display port. While my dual screen setup at work doesn't bounce around, I run things differently at home, and it just can't keep programs on the screen that I had them on when waking from sleep.

Once a DP monitor goes to sleep, it acts like it was powered off/removed. I run an AMD setup at home and work is integrated Intel on a garbage Dell SFF.

Where I fault Windows, is it's weak handling of high DPI/4k displays. Also comical to see a very tiny start menu at times.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Good news: This sounds like it may address what you guys are talking about.

Bad news: You may need to wait until October to get it.

Microsoft is finally fixing Windows 10 rearranging apps on multiple monitors

Good to hear Microsoft is finally fixing it.

I read through a bunch of MS support threads looking for a solution where the MS Tech would tell the poor user experiencing the problem to reinstall drivers and do all sorts of useless activities. When all the time the core problem lies within Windows and no driver update would fix it.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Trying to figure out if a Windows issue, or is my router dying...

Basically, when I wake either of my PCs from sleep, I get an 'invalid IP configuration' error with my Wi-Fi.
Essentially, when my desktop goes to sleep, it will stay connected, as long as I use it, but then my laptop won't connect when it wakes up.

Only way that I can reliably resolve it, is to power cycle my router, it's an either/or situation.

Most of me believes that it's a Windows 10 thing, as my iPhone/iPad don't have a connection issue, and I already have power saving turned on both PC's Wi-Fi adapters, and setting DHCP or static doesn't make a difference. Router is an Asus RT-AC68U that I've had since 2015.

I could buy a new router, but don't feel like spending the money, and really trying to hold out for 6e to drop to prices that aren't stupid.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Try resetting winsock, maybe try removing driver the reinstall. Last thing I would try is resetting your router to factory.

I had a similar issue with my ASUS XT8 mesh network. Had to factory reset the main router and reconfigure and haven’t had it since.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If what GreyWun doesn't help or you need to know how to reset WinSock, google the error. There are lots of other possible solutions available, such as disabling IPv6, cleaning up network cache files, checking that the DNS Client service is set to Automatic and so on.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
If what GreyWun doesn't help or you need to know how to reset WinSock, google the error. There are lots of other possible solutions available, such as disabling IPv6, cleaning up network cache files, checking that the DNS Client service is set to Automatic and so on.

...disabling Wake on Lan, don't configure auto negotiate on the Nic...

GoldenKnight

Jun 2, 2017
Las Vegas
Hey guys, I am back into the world of PC online gaming after an extended absence and looking for advice on where to buy a PC online. I was planning on building a top of the line machine, something with an i-9 and 3080Ti that can handle online games at 4k resolution, handle VR, some light video editing, and will be future proofed for a good 5 years.

I was told by a friend that there is a severe shortage of 3080 Ti cards and that it is hard to build a top of the line PC nowadays. Unfortunately I am still not tech savvy enough to build one on my own, even if I had all the components handed to me, so preferably would be looking for a new pre-built PC for purchase. Any recommendations on which company/store to turn to (online or in person) to turn to that could put this together for me in the USA?

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Hey guys, I am back into the world of PC online gaming after an extended absence and looking for advice on where to buy a PC online. I was planning on building a top of the line machine, something with an i-9 and 3080Ti that can handle online games at 4k resolution, handle VR, some light video editing, and will be future proofed for a good 5 years.

I was told by a friend that there is a severe shortage of 3080 Ti cards and that it is hard to build a top of the line PC nowadays. Unfortunately I am still not tech savvy enough to build one on my own, even if I had all the components handed to me, so preferably would be looking for a new pre-built PC for purchase. Any recommendations on which company/store to turn to (online or in person) to turn to that could put this together for me in the USA?

The 3080 Ti isn't on sale yet, it's expected to be released at the end of May

Your best bet to getting a pre-built with those specs would be ordering from Dell or maybe NZXT's pre builts

Reactions: GoldenKnight

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

A pre-built is practically the only way to get a new GPU at the moment. The shortage probably won't affect you much.

Reactions: GoldenKnight

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I was holding out for an hdmi 2.1 monitor but screw it, i'm just gonna get the cx 55. I hear great things about it

I have a BX55, so not quite the same but close....

I will say it's awesome for gaming, with the slight caveat that it can be a little aggressive on the dynamic brightness. It's better with the PS4 than PC for some reason in that regard, but it's noticeable on both.

Otherwise, killer display all around.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I have a BX55, so not quite the same but close....

I will say it's awesome for gaming, with the slight caveat that it can be a little aggressive on the dynamic brightness. It's better with the PS4 than PC for some reason in that regard, but it's noticeable on both.

Otherwise, killer display all around.
Ya, been using the Series X with it and boy does it look great. Have noticed a HUGE difference when watching Netflix as well. So far, loving this tv.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
By the way I dont know if its been discussed but several months ago AMD confirmed that an issue with USB ports constantly disconnecting was in fact a Ryzen issue and not a windows issue as they announced a "fix"

However, many accounts the issue has not been fixed. If you're building a pc and really need constant USB connection without dropout probably get Intel imo.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It was actually a chipset issue, not an issue with Ryzen processors, and was fixed by a BIOS update, but, yeah, it was AMD's fault, not Microsoft's. I read the AMD subreddit regularly and it seems like the BIOS update did fix USB dropout issues for the vast majority of people. Every now and then, a person reports still having dropouts, but I'm a little skeptical of them. USB issues can be because of many things and I'm sure that Intel users occasionally have them, too, so I wonder if those people are experiencing them for reasons other than the one that was AMD's fault. Who knows, but such issues seem rare enough now that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend AMD systems.

Last edited:

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I was having a look around Newegg's gpu section yesterday and noticed that the 5700XT I bought over a year ago has quadrupled in price. :laugh:
Sheer madness.

Reactions: John Price

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I was having a look around Newegg's gpu section yesterday and noticed that the 5700XT I bought over a year ago has quadrupled in price. :laugh:
Sheer madness.

It's why I can go on Slickdeals, and some Dell or HP desktop or laptop with a 3060/3070/3080 is considered 'slick' at near MSRP.

If I wasn't saving my pennies for the updated Macbook Pros, I'd consider it...just primarily for the video card (although the rest would be faster than either of my PCs too).

Commodities and the chip shortage is affecting other markets as well, I could probably sell my ~8 year old Civic for about $12-13k. Granted, it's low miles, and I would then need a car, but certain things are 'do not buy' if at all patient.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Intel discrete GPUs out on OEM PCs. They look roughly as powerful as GT1030. Which is not bad I guess but nobody was expecting much more.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Does anybody have windows randomly tell you dont have administrator access when trying to do something? Its literally happened to me for years Ive still yet to find a solution for this. This is the weirdest one yet though. The Microsoft and Xbox Gamepass are telling me I cant download games or apps because im not on an administrator account. Very weird.

Edit: Oh yeah and this should probably go without saying but theres always one guy: It is an administrator account.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad