PC Building Guide and Discussion #14

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Does anybody have windows randomly tell you dont have administrator access when trying to do something? Its literally happened to me for years Ive still yet to find a solution for this. This is the weirdest one yet though. The Microsoft and Xbox Gamepass are telling me I cant download games or apps because im not on an administrator account. Very weird.

Edit: Oh yeah and this should probably go without saying but theres always one guy: It is an administrator account.

I occasionally will get an error like that. It could be a problem with elevating privileges, since even administrator accounts run with lower privileges. You might try temporarily disabling UAC to see if that's the problem.

Also, I had something like that happen recently with an app that had a corrupted file. I re-downloaded it and that fixed it. You might try uninstalling and re-installing the Xbox app(s).

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Anyone looking for a graphics card, Memory Express has rtx 3060s in store only. Its kind of crazy that even the in-store, non-scalped price is almost double the launch MSRP. Im considering waiting, since its really not THAT much of an upgrade over the 1080 on one hand. On the other hand, I can sell my 1080 for an absolutely stupid amount of money compared to what its worth, so I feel like Id just be lazy not buying the 3060.
I occasionally will get an error like that. It could be a problem with elevating privileges, since even administrator accounts run with lower privileges. You might try temporarily disabling UAC to see if that's the problem.

Also, I had something like that happen recently with an app that had a corrupted file. I re-downloaded it and that fixed it. You might try uninstalling and re-installing the Xbox app(s).
Update: I did nothing, problem solved itself, lol. Windows is weird like that.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Anyone looking for a graphics card, Memory Express has rtx 3060s in store only. Its kind of crazy that even the in-store, non-scalped price is almost double the launch MSRP. Im considering waiting, since its really not THAT much of an upgrade over the 1080 on one hand. On the other hand, I can sell my 1080 for an absolutely stupid amount of money compared to what its worth, so I feel like Id just be lazy not buying the 3060.

That upgrade may not be worth it to you if you'd make it with the intention of turning on ray tracing, since doing so and even enabling DLSS would probably give you similar framerates to what you're getting now with ray tracing off. I, personally, wouldn't pay half a grand (after considering resale value of my existing card) just for ray tracing and no framerate increase. The 3070, on the other hand, is more appealing because it gives a sizable performance increase over the 3060 and even over the 3060 Ti.

Also, prices have been coming down for a couple of weeks now. We might be able to save a couple hundred by waiting a couple of months longer. Then again, as prices return to normal, the value of our current cards will return to normal, as well, so it's a catch-22.

Last edited:
Reactions: aleshemsky83

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I ended up nabbing a new Gigabyte M27Q monitor on sale.

Very impressed with it so far. Nice picture, 170Hz (although FreeSync I think tops out at 120Hz so that tends to be where I hang out), FreeSync Premium (that works well with G-Sync despite not being "Compatible"). The HDR is actually pretty decent (relatively, for a cheap monitor), although I still don't fully understand HDR at desk range. It feels like to get the benefits, you need it at eye searing brightness.

The really nice feature for me is the built in KVM Mode that lets me switch between my gaming PC and work lappy, since work at home is now a big part of life.

Now if I can get my hands on a decent GPU, I might be able to make better use of that 170Hz :laugh: In the meantime, my 1660 Super still does the job.

On the cons side of the equation, I will say it is not great in bright rooms (blackout curtains help during the midday) and it did come with a single stuck pixel (trying to work it out - very hard to notice unless you lean in close).

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Very impressed with it so far. Nice picture, 170Hz (although FreeSync I think tops out at 120Hz so that tends to be where I hang out), FreeSync Premium (that works well with G-Sync despite not being "Compatible"). The HDR is actually pretty decent (relatively, for a cheap monitor), although I still don't fully understand HDR at desk range. It feels like to get the benefits, you need it at eye searing brightness.

You may need to switch to DisplayPort (assuming that you're using HDMI). I believe that my 144Hz monitor is the same way: FreeSync up to 120Hz on HDMI and 144Hz on DP.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
You may need to switch to DisplayPort (assuming that you're using HDMI). I believe that my 144Hz monitor is the same way: FreeSync up to 120Hz on HDMI and 144Hz on DP.

I am using DisplayPort.

I checked the range specs do say it goes up to 170Hz, so I must have something configured incorrectly.

Not that it matters, really. My GPU is hard pressed to get to 1440p 120Hz, much less 170Hz :laugh:

EDIT: I'm a dummy. I think my 170Hz profile had FreeSync disabled for some reason. Nothing to see here. :laugh:

Last edited:

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Been really wanting to get an actual PC for a while, and was thinking about pulling the trigger soon. I know a very small amount about specs and what to look for, but not really much at the end of the day. Also been reading about a lot of part shortages, so was likely going to go pre-built (was probably going to anyway because it's easier but now even more so lol). Found this one today and I think it looks pretty good but was wondering if someone who knew more might be able to chime in too

Welcome - Canada Computers & Electronics

In the past I haven't really played too much, I guess high-demand games on my laptop like running Smite is no problem (on low settings). But I'd like to at least have the flexibility to branch out and play some of those games, like New World looks fantastic but I could likely never play it on my current set-up.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Been really wanting to get an actual PC for a while, and was thinking about pulling the trigger soon. I know a very small amount about specs and what to look for, but not really much at the end of the day. Also been reading about a lot of part shortages, so was likely going to go pre-built (was probably going to anyway because it's easier but now even more so lol). Found this one today and I think it looks pretty good but was wondering if someone who knew more might be able to chime in too

Welcome - Canada Computers & Electronics

In the past I haven't really played too much, I guess high-demand games on my laptop like running Smite is no problem (on low settings). But I'd like to at least have the flexibility to branch out and play some of those games, like New World looks fantastic but I could likely never play it on my current set-up.
It's hard to evaluate pre-builts. They don't really go into specifics about what motherboard you are getting, what PSU, other internals. They rhyme off the CPU, how much memory, a vague description of the video card and you go in blind on the rest. Offhand I'd prefer an AMD Ryzen 5600 cpu to the 3600 and you will still need to add some storage, 500 Gb isn't enough these days unless you plan on carrying more external hard drive or SSD storage space.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I finally stopped being cheap and bought a 1 TB NVME SSD. I got the Kingston A2000 which is apparently literally the worst (brand name) one on the market, but its still a gamechanger for load times.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I finally stopped being cheap and bought a 1 TB NVME SSD. I got the Kingston A2000 which is apparently literally the worst (brand name) one on the market, but its still a gamechanger for load times.

Did you upgrade from a mechanical hard drive? An upgrade from a SATA SSD to an NVMe SSD should yield almost no improvement in load times, at least according to every benchmark that I've seen.

I have a SATA SSD, but need to upgrade simply because 512GB isn't enough any more. I'm mostly debating between a Gen 4 1TB and a Gen 3 2TB. The latter is likely the wiser option, because it'll last longer and there's no speed difference in games between Gen 3 and 4, but having the newer gen is tempting just because.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Did you upgrade from a mechanical hard drive? An upgrade from a SATA SSD to an NVMe SSD should yield almost no improvement in load times, at least compared to every YouTube video that I've seen.

I have a SATA SSD, but need to upgrade simply because 512GB isn't enough any more. I'm mostly debating between a Gen 4 1TB and a Gen 3 2TB. The latter is likely the wiser option, because it'll last longer and there's no speed difference in games between Gen 3 and 4, but having the newer gen is tempting just because.
Believe it or not yes I did primarily game on hard drive. It actually wasnt that bad for a long time but Cyberpunk 2077 and DOOM Eternal were the breaking point. They actually took a long time just to launch let alone actually loading a save. I also had no more space for SATA drives on my PC (not on the motherboard I mean the actual PC Case) so I figured I'd spend an extra 10 bucks and get an nvme drive.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Can someone here help to point me in the right direction of finding a good laptop? I've waited till now because of back to school sales.
I am a casual computer user, and my wife is a teacher. She needs it more so for work.

If I was being real greedy, I would like something with a good voice typing program. I have multiple sclerosis, and have big time spasticity and tremors. This makes it almost impossible for me to type. I do all my HF posts on a tablet with voice text. This voice text is not a requirement, but would be a nice peace for myself.

If anyone knows of a good deal on a laptop currently, please share it with me. Also, if it makes a difference I am in Canada.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The LHR anti-mining stuff is actually working. Cards are back in stock, but prices at retail have skyrocketed.

3060 Ti $709.99

3070 $879.99 and $939.99

All Canadian dollars of course.

Reactions: Prominence Problem

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
My Roccat Kone left mouse button is failing, apparently this is common in "modern" gaming mice as they use shitty switches. Apparently it's fixable if I want to take the thing apart, but the feet never feel right after you do that.

Shame, my old Logitech G5 lasted like 13 years.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So this worked ( at least so far)

It's not super easy to do mind you, but worth an attempt on an spendy mouse.

EDIT: Everything you never wanted to know about how they don't make'em like they used to :laugh:

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Managed to grab a 6600 XT. Great deal? No. Great deal in this market? Probably, yeah. :laugh:
I found a similar card Saturday.

Was doing research all Friday and Saturday morning, saw 7 cards left but it was an hour and 10 minutes up north. Ended up getting dressed and driving up to Baltimore just to get one. Lucky I did go early too 20 minutes or so before the store opened, cause when it did the line was like 15 people long to get that card :laugh:

It's crazy right now, still. Something drops about 100 or 200 above MSRP and people will take it

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Managed to grab a 6600 XT. Great deal? No. Great deal in this market? Probably, yeah. :laugh:

Well things spiralled out of control, and instead of selling my old GPU to a buddy I ended up selling him my entire PC.

And thus, a new PC was built....

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A
PSU: Corsair RM750x
Board: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Elite AX V2
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
CPU Cooler: TBD (Wraith Stealth for now)
RAM: 32GB Team Group Nighthawk DDR4-3200MHz (Hand me down)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 6600 XT Pulse OC
SSD: 500GB Samsung 960 EVO (Hand me down)

Liking the new build. Made the choice to return to the world of mid towers, so we will see how effectively I manage to gate it off from the toddler...he was starting to grab the ole ITX off my desk.

I sort of regret my purchase of the Gigabyte board. It's solid so far and my last Gigabyte board was solid as well, but with their recent issues (exploding PSUs, RMA system in shambles) well....time will tell.

Reactions: Puck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad