PC Building Guide and Discussion #12

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I just bought a monitor (Acer SA270) and the speakers say theyre connected and working but no sound comes out. I have a pair of speakers that I'll user before the built in speakers so I probably wont return it anyways, BUT...any ideas what the problem would be, something I'm not thinking of maybe? Its connected through HDMI by the way.

What is the HDMI coming out of? Video card, onboard, laptop/desktop?
A lot of times you need a driver that supports sending sound over HDMI.

Also if you are currently using speakers, your current output settings might be on analog.
upload_2018-9-6_17-49-42.png

This is what it looks like (on win 7 anyway)
You can see in the list I have speakers ( my analog 3 plug speakers), and the LG HDMI built into the monitor listed as well. So you may need to select that to get it to work.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
What is the HDMI coming out of? Video card, onboard, laptop/desktop?
A lot of times you need a driver that supports sending sound over HDMI.

Also if you are currently using speakers, your current output settings might be on analog.
View attachment 138269

This is what it looks like (on win 7 anyway)
You can see in the list I have speakers ( my analog 3 plug speakers), and the LG HDMI built into the monitor listed as well. So you may need to select that to get it to work.
I just realized this monitor has no speakers Even though windows recognizes it as a monitor with speakers.

Acer 24" FHD 60Hz 4ms IPS LED Monitor (SA240Y bid) - Black

woopsy

Reactions: SniperHF

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I just realized this monitor has no speakers Even though windows recognizes it as a monitor with speakers.

:biglaugh:

That reminds me though, I should have thought of that myself since my old AOC did the same damn thing :biglaugh:

The worst part is AOC was too lazy to take the volume menu out of the non-speaker models.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Not really a PC build question but my piece of crap mouse that came free with a computer I bought years ago is finally starting to die (I've only been using the mouse recently , 1 year tops, because I found it and decided to use uit). The left click mouse button double clicks. The entire mouse feels off-center to the left from what it has been for years. It feels tilted to the left. It's weird and I don't like it.

Any mouse suggestions? I don't need gaming buttons but if there's a reliable gaming mouse for $50-100 that will last me a long time in casual use, I don't mind picking it up. If all mice are relatively the same then I'll probably grab one of the cheaper ones.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Not really a PC build question but my piece of crap mouse that came free with a computer I bought years ago is finally starting to die (I've only been using the mouse recently , 1 year tops, because I found it and decided to use uit). The left click mouse button double clicks. The entire mouse feels off-center to the left from what it has been for years. It feels tilted to the left. It's weird and I don't like it.

Any mouse suggestions? I don't need gaming buttons but if there's a reliable gaming mouse for $50-100 that will last me a long time in casual use, I don't mind picking it up. If all mice are relatively the same then I'll probably grab one of the cheaper ones.
I love the G602. It's wireless, has a great shape, and has 6 side buttons as well as two dpi buttons on the top, all programmable. I love it so much I have two. I did have the scroll wheel click button stop reading after a few years, but I found a cheap (under $1) replacement part that was apparently easy to solder in. It's been great since then.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I love the G602. It's wireless, has a great shape, and has 6 side buttons as well as two dpi buttons on the top, all programmable. I love it so much I have two. I did have the scroll wheel click button stop reading after a few years, but I found a cheap (under $1) replacement part that was apparently easy to solder in. It's been great since then.

Sold out around local stores right now unfortunately. Maybe for my next mouse purchase I'll get something like that.

Do you like right handed or ambidextrous shaped mice?

I've never really thought about it. I guess a slight preference ambidextrous? The mice I've used in the past have all been mirror images on either side so in theory they could be swapped to left hand with no issues. Never used a lefthanded mouse despite being left handed though.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
With mice one of the biggest things is simply how comfortable it feels in your hand, so there really isn't a one size fits all. I currently have Razer Taipan mice ($60 USD Amazon) on my home computers, that's one of Razer's ambidextrous models. The non-ambidextrous Razer Deathadder ($45 USD Amazon) is a better overall $ value though. Both of these are high rez gaming mice, however they don't go overboard on the side buttons like some other models do.

My main tip would be to make sure whatever you buy can be easily returned if you decide you don't care for the ergonomics.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Sold out around local stores right now unfortunately. Maybe for my next mouse purchase I'll get something like that.

I've never really thought about it. I guess a slight preference ambidextrous? The mice I've used in the past have all been mirror images on either side so in theory they could be swapped to left hand with no issues. Never used a lefthanded mouse despite being left handed though.
If you have a store nearby that carries a lot of mice it would be a good idea to go and see if they have any in display, or maybe any open boxes you can check out. Like Mouser said it's going to depend a lot on what is comfortable for your hand size and shape.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yup. Of course the thing with mice is something that feels fine at the store might not feel as comfortable after you use it a few hours in your own environment. I've returned several mice I thought I'd really like only to learn otherwise after some more extended use.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Well the RTX 2080 and 2080 Ti reviews are trickling in. The 2080 Ti looks like a beast of a card (with a beast of a price), and the 2080 trades blows with the 1080 Ti while being more expensive.

Of course, we have yet to see what the ray tracing technology can do in the real world, as there is nothing to support it yet.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Honestly, with it being this close to the 1080 Ti, I may wait a few more months. My goal is to have the best or near the best for Cyberpunk 2077.

I may even wait for AMD's offerings next year.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Honestly, with it being this close to the 1080 Ti, I may wait a few more months. My goal is to have the best or near the best for Cyberpunk 2077.

I may even wait for AMD's offerings next year.

Did you land on a resolution/frame rate target?

Take it with a heaping helping of salt, but if the rumours are correct, Navi might be targeted at the low to mid range. It sounds like you may be in the enthusiast market.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Cyberpunk might not even come out next year AFAIK, though It seems a lot of people are hoping it does.

If it's 2020 planning for it is mostly guessing :laugh:. I just would buy the card right before the game came out in that event.

I remember the Witcher 3 trailers where everyone thought it would melt your system ala Crysis 1 but then came the downgrade.

I hadn't even bothered to look up the 2xxx reviews yet, but just skimming them now it seems like a fairly standard release performance wise? The hype a month or two was way out of proportion, probably just because we haven't had new cards in a while. About the only notable thing is the Ti model is out on launch instead of holding it back.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Hard to say. I think NVIDIA has positioned the 20 series in such a way that the 10 series cards could stay the same price. I guess we'll see.

I think when the 2060 is released we could see a market shift. In theory, that should get around 1070 performance and be cheaper, since you wouldn't be paying the RTX premium. In theory.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
With no real competition for the new set, I could see Nvidia just keeping the prices up for quite a while until AMD gets their heads out of their asses and actually puts out something competitive. I can't wait for Intel to join the fray as they usually don't take competition casually.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
With no real competition for the new set, I could see Nvidia just keeping the prices up for quite a while until AMD gets their heads out of their asses and actually puts out something competitive. I can't wait for Intel to join the fray as they usually don't take competition casually.

In their defense, the Vega cards are actually decently competitive (with a much higher power draw), but the pricing and availability are still out of whack.

It'll be interesting to see Intel on the underdog side of things again. That said, do we know if Intel is targeting gamers with their new GPUs, or just productivity?

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I have a 580 8gb now which I'm actually perfectly fine with but if I could get a 1070 or ti variant for around $300 I'd make the jump.

Maybe black Friday or cyber Monday deal.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yeah, depending on what NVidia's chip release schedule is, Black Friday could be setting up for some nice discounts on the 10-series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad