[Paywall/The Athletic] NHL front office confidence rankings (Fan rankings)

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Please note, the article is from The Athletic, and therefore behind a paywall. If you don't like this, it is probably better to ignore the thread right away.

Mods: I didn't see any rules about starting a thread on pay-walled content, so if there is something my apologies.

That said....

The Athletic released an article today where NHL fans weighed in on their level of confidence with every NHL team (over 1000 responses). They have subcategories for: Roster Building, Cap Management, Draft/Development, Trading, Free Agency, Vision. A lot of results were pretty obvious, some not so much:

31. Ottawa 1.7/5 (Public: 1.6, Fans 1.9)
30. Montreal 1.7/5 (Public: 1.7, Fans 2.0)
29. Edmonton 2.0/5 (Public: 2.1, Fans 1.9)
3. Nashville 4.2/5 (Public: 4.2, Fans 4.1)
2. Toronto 4.3/5 (Public: 4.2 Fans 4.5)
1. Tampa Bay 4.5/5 (Public: 4.5, Fans 4.6)

The most polarizing was the NYI at 22nd. Public Opinion was 2.6 (26th) and the fanbase was 3.8 (13th).

Really interesting stuff, and I found surprising that with 1 or 2 exceptions, the public opinion aligned with the fan base really closely.

If you want to read more: LINK

Reactions: EON

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Knew it was Dom L before even clicking.

He’s another one of those analytic guys who acts like a complete man child when someone disagrees with him.

People can bring valid points and all he does is brush them off with a LOL.

Also, in 2016-17 he had the Oilers finishing bottom five. In the 2017-18, when commenting on each team, he called it a “wash” for if he was right or wrong.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Knew it was Dom L before even clicking.

He’s another one of those analytic guys who acts like a complete man child when someone disagrees with him.

People can bring valid points and all he does is brush them off with a LOL.

Also, in 2016-17 he had the Oilers finishing bottom five. In the 2017-18, when commenting on each team, he called it a “wash” for if he was right or wrong.
I fail to see how this is relevant to this article seeing that they surveyed 2,000 NHL fans?

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I’m saying I’m not a fan of his content. He can produce some good stuff but handles criticism like a child.

Yep. His profile pic on Twitter is the epitome of arrogant douchebaggery as well. Hope he has some obstacles to overcome (to put it politely) at some point so he can gain some perspective on both life and writing.

As for the index, our our fan satisfaction seems high at 1.9 (out of 5? out of 10?) as it's near-cratered except for a few valiant souls in the fanbase and Dean Brown/Gord Wilson (Brownilson), who are essentially lackeys for the team.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Yep. His profile pic on Twitter is the epitome of arrogant *****ebaggery as well. Hope he has some obstacles to overcome (to put it politely) at some point so he can gain some perspective on both life and writing.

As for the index, our our fan satisfaction seems high at 1.9 (out of 5? out of 10?) as it's near-cratered except for a few valiant souls in the fanbase and Dean Brown/Gord Wilson (Brownilson), who are essentially lackeys for the team.

Yeah, pretty brazen of him to smile and wear sunglasses....

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Makes sense the Isles have the biggest gap...depends on if you're voting for their new management, or their old management.

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Makes sense the Isles have the biggest gap...depends on if you're voting for their new management, or their old management.
I think its more likely that the public opinion is less inclined than Islanders fans to give the new management the benefit of the doubt after what has been a pretty abysmal offseason. Tavares can't be pinned on them, but the Komarov, Martin, and Filppula signings don't inspire confidence.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think its more likely that the public opinion is less inclined than Islanders fans to give the new management the benefit of the doubt after what has been a pretty abysmal offseason. Tavares can't be pinned on them, but the Komarov, Martin, and Filppula signings don't inspire confidence.
Isles fans also ranked themselves as the 7th best team at drafting and developing, which is way higher than the rest of the league would view them. Although I don't really blame them for that. I think they see Barzal/Dobson/Wahlstrom, and other people focus more on Dal Colle/Reinhart/Strome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nithoniniel

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Isles fans also ranked themselves as the 7th best team at drafting and developing, which is way higher than the rest of the league would view them. Although I don't really blame them for that. I think they see Barzal/Dobson/Wahlstrom, and other people focus more on Dal Colle/Reinhart/Strome.

Two of the former trio were just drafted this off-season...

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Vancouver was 4th last, so the bottom 4 were all Canadian.

It speaks to both how fervent the fanbases are and how inept each team's management is. Only Calgary managed to escape the bottom, and they scored a middling mid-teen ranking. Toronto and Winnipeg remain favourites, with the clear winner being Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad