Proposal: Pavelski + for Panarin

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Pavelski would probably not re-sign, nor would he likely waive his NTC. Pavelski+Donskoi is way too good to be true from a San Jose perspective.

Frankly I'd probably take Meier as a centerpiece and be happy.
Tierney just looks like the most expendable cap hit SJ could send out, though I wonder at the impact of just re-signing him.
1st becomes what, a 2nd/3rd if panarin doesn't re-sign?

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
That's fair. This is the 2nd or 3rd time in the last week I've seen a Sharks fan propose something around Pavelski for Panarin, thus my comment.

I would have the same worries about Pavelski. I'll ask you the same question I asked someone else--do you know if Pavelski has ever played LW and if his game might transition well to the left side?

IMO that would be because if we get Panarin, Pavs becomes redundant, and we won't be able to sign both next year anyways, if Panarin wants to sign here that is. So if we cant keep Pavs next year anyways, he is easily the best forward we can trade for Panarin right now, with guys like Labanc and Meier being the higher future upside players.

So if CBJ is not in a win now/soon mode, I could totally understand not being too hot for Pavs, but if trying to compete this year, from the Sharks at least, he is the smallest step down from Panarin on the wing we have to trade you.

I am not really a fan of trading for high caliber rentals like Panarin, because if we don't win a cup, lose Panarin, and lose guys like Donskoi/Pavs/Labanc/Meier/1st round picks/etc, Our team is way worse off for it and with nothing to show for it. I also don't know if an upgrade of say Meier to Panarin is really the difference between us winning a cup or not. So even though I know a lot of Sharks posters are very interested in getting Panarin at the cost of guys like Labanc/Meier etc, I am not really one of them. If we know he is willing to sign here at the very least, that might help, but if he is still standoff-ish about signing a contract with us, or we dont even get a chance to find out prior to the trade.....eeeehhh I dont know.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
IMO that would be because if we get Panarin, Pavs becomes redundant, and we won't be able to sign both next year anyways, if Panarin wants to sign here that is. So if we cant keep Pavs next year anyways, he is easily the best forward we can trade for Panarin right now, with guys like Labanc and Meier being the higher future upside players.

So if CBJ is not in a win now/soon mode, I could totally understand not being too hot for Pavs, but if trying to compete this year, from the Sharks at least, he is the smallest step down from Panarin on the wing we have to trade you.

I am not really a fan of trading for high caliber rentals like Panarin, because if we don't win a cup, lose Panarin, and lose guys like Donskoi/Pavs/Labanc/Meier/1st round picks/etc, Our team is way worse off for it and with nothing to show for it. I also don't know if an upgrade of say Meier to Panarin is really the difference between us winning a cup or not. So even though I know a lot of Sharks posters are very interested in getting Panarin at the cost of guys like Labanc/Meier etc, I am not really one of them. If we know he is willing to sign here at the very least, that might help, but if he is still standoff-ish about signing a contract with us, or we dont even get a chance to find out prior to the trade.....eeeehhh I dont know.

I would only be trading a piece like Meier for him if I felt confident that he would be willing to discuss an extension. I don’t feel confident in our current team as a contender even if we add Panarin and lose absolutely nothing but that could change and make me willing to gamble on him at the TDL, depending on how Thornton and Burns perform.

Reactions: SnarkAttack

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I would only be trading a piece like Meier for him if I felt confident that he would be willing to discuss an extension. I don’t feel confident in our current team as a contender even if we add Panarin and lose absolutely nothing but that could change and make me willing to gamble on him at the TDL, depending on how Thornton and Burns perform.

At the deadline! Wow ok we are very very far apart on this, or your idea of discuss an extension is different from mine.

I am not trading anyone useful at the deadline for Panarin unless I know he will sign with us, or we are a Panarin away from a cup. Heck no am I giving up our best young winger for the mere willingness to discuss an extension, without being very confident he pushes us over the top for a cup this year. I would not even do Labanc in that situation.

I was talking about before the season starts, so at least we have an entire year to let him get to know the team, city, etc and hopefully help him feel comfortable signing here. So unless you meant willing to discuss, as in he wants to sign here, we just need to get the money figured out, then I would not trade for Panarin using our best young players like Labanc, Meier etc. If that means we don't get rental Panarin, I am fine with that.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
At the deadline! Wow ok we are very very far apart on this, or your idea of discuss an extension is different from mine.

I am not trading anyone useful at the deadline for Panarin unless I know he will sign with us, or we are a Panarin away from a cup. Heck no am I giving up our best young winger for the mere willingness to discuss an extension, without being very confident he pushes us over the top for a cup this year. I would not even do Labanc in that situation.

I was talking about before the season starts, so at least we have an entire year to let him get to know the team, city, etc and hopefully help him feel comfortable signing here. So unless you meant willing to discuss, as in he wants to sign here, we just need to get the money figured out, then I would not trade for Panarin using our best young players like Labanc, Meier etc. If that means we don't get rental Panarin, I am fine with that.

Right, I am only trading away a Meier or a LaBanc for a Panarin if he is likely to re-sign (what I meant by willing to discuss an extension) or if I feel we are a Panarin away from the Cup. So we are actually on the same page.

A lot would need to change for me to feel we are a Panarin away from the Cup but if Kane-Thornton-Pavelski is a legitimate dominant 1st line, and Thornton like that legitimate dominant #1C, Burns is playing at a Norris Trophy level, and Jones is playing well, I would feel that way.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Oh right..

Foligno-Pavelski-Donskoi (keep their chemistry intact).
Jenner-Dubois-Atkinson
Milano-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Dubinsky-Nash-Anderson
Duclair

Looks like four 2nd lines.

Find it really interesting how Anderson went from being the first line RW in your original lineup to the fourth line RW after you were reminded of Donskoi(3rd loner) had to fit in yet claim it looks like 4 2nd lines lol.

Also this is kinda stupid cause if both are UFA why not keep the better one? And possibility still have some chance of resigning him? Or trading him at the deadline if things don’t go as planned for the CBJ season

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Right, I am only trading away a Meier or a LaBanc for a Panarin if he is likely to re-sign (what I meant by willing to discuss an extension) or if I feel we are a Panarin away from the Cup. So we are actually on the same page.

A lot would need to change for me to feel we are a Panarin away from the Cup but if Kane-Thornton-Pavelski is a legitimate dominant 1st line, and Thornton like that legitimate dominant #1C, Burns is playing at a Norris Trophy level, and Jones is playing well, I would feel that way.

Ah ok, yeah we’re good then.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Not a Jackets fan but I would pass on that if I were them. Could probably get a younger player that fits more in line with their core. If Panarin would agree to an extension with Toronto I'd offer Nylander + 1st

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Don’t think it would take even pavelski to get Panarin. He’s not willing to sign an extension with anyone, and if he was willing to sign one with the Sharks, they’d be better off testing their luck July one and keeping Pav too.

The lingering contract issues really lower his value.

Reactions: woohoodude11

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Not a Jackets fan but I would pass on that if I were them. Could probably get a younger player that fits more in line with their core. If Panarin would agree to an extension with Toronto I'd offer Nylander + 1st
Toronto is already going to be in a cap crunch. Good luck fitting another 10+ contract in.

But, I'd do this trade with no extension in place from an SJ standpoint.

With Panarin saying he'll extend, I'd have no problem including Timo, but no way in hell I trade Timo for a rental

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The only reason I even hesitate to say yes to this deal is my emotional attachment to Pavelski and my love of watching a healthy Donskoi play. Objectively, it’s a no-brainer for SJ. Panarin is quite literally the perfect winger for Couture and Hertl.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
columbus isnt gonna accept a 34 year old pending UFA as the main piece
also imagine if he walks and they are left with a bottom 6 winger and 3rd for arguably the most talented forward they have ever had (even rick nash didnt hit 80pts there)

Meiertruck

Apr 13, 2010
also imagine if he walks and they are left with a bottom 6 winger and 3rd for arguably the most talented forward they have ever had (even rick nash didnt hit 80pts there)

In a vacuum, of course. However, and maybe I should have been more clear on this, the proposal is based on the premise that Panarin will not re-sign with Columbus, nor immediately agree to an extension with another team (hence lowering his value). Obviously Columbus would love to re-sign him, and short of that, extracting futures from another team (one which Panarin will agree to a long term extension with) is their goal. Columbus has plenty of depth and therefore their priority is quality over quantity, hence the Pavelski idea.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Donskoi isn't a bottom six winger and he's also a pending UFA but I agree that Columbus isn't going to do this kind of a deal. It's not like Pavelski is going to waive for Columbus either.

dwright5314

Jul 10, 2017
New Hampshire
SJ isn't a great trade partner, but CBJ should try to go for a Hertl, Merkley, Gambrell type package. Obviously they want to contend this year, but a decent futures package might be the best bet.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
If we could get you any guarantee of that, I'd love that deal.
Depends on what he wants too tbh, if he's signing for more than 8-9 million then the Leafs would be better off keeping Nylander but if they can get him locked up under 9 then I would do it. Panarin, Tavares, Matthews and Marner would be more than enough offense, and that's not even including Kadri on the 3rd line.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
SJ isn't a great trade partner, but CBJ should try to go for a Hertl, Merkley, Gambrell type package. Obviously they want to contend this year, but a decent futures package might be the best bet.

Hertl is only going to be available for Panarin if there's an extension in place. Panarin for one year is not worth Hertl straight up.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Hertl is the only realistic centerpiece that I can see in a SJ deal

Probably so long as an extension is in place. Otherwise, the Sharks won't pay all that much. They pay prices like they did for Kane for rentals these days. Cheap rentals or they generally don't bother.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
This isn't a great deal for Columbus. But who knows what they will receive in a trade for Panarin. Because every GM knows that JK will lose him for nothing if he doesn't move him

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
This isn't a great deal for Columbus. But who knows what they will receive in a trade for Panarin. Because every GM knows that JK will lose him for nothing if he doesn't move him

True, but also is about the teams wanting to get him in so they can do the 8th year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad