Pavelich in the (bad) news

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Okay, so you have never gotten that angry, right? I am not saying this behavior is "okay", but YOU nor anyone else have any idea as to "why" he attacked his neighbor. Maybe his weeds were invading his yard, maybe he kicked Pav's dog. Those things might make me come after my neighbor with a pipe. Amongst other things, There is only so much a neighbor should be neighborly about, when one takes advantage of another. It has to end somewhere. Where's my pipe? Lol.

Are you being serious hoss? So if I’m your neighbor and some out of control weeds of mine begin invading your yard, your coming after me with a pipe?

Dude you either got some major anger issues or you were wasted out of your mind and didn’t know you wrote this shit.

Either/Or....:huh:

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think it's fairly safe to assume that Pav has a mental health issue. At least that there's a chance of that......which by the way seems to be a concern of the judge at his hearing too. I guess there's a chance that his neighbor did do something to the beer they were sharing but that seems a little less likely and there would have to be some reason why.

On the mental health issue---past concussions and CTE has come up in the thread. Among other things such as early onsetting Alzheimer's CTE is known to make people delusional and also known to bring out extremes of rage. So that could possibly be an answer. Traumatic head injuries can completely change someone's personality.

Advice--never attack your neighbor over a bunch of weeds you suspect bled over from his yard into yours. Depending on the circumstances it's okay to physically confront yon neighbor if he's mistreating your dog but keep metal pipes of all kinds out of it so you won't be charged later on with assault with a deadly weapon. Going to prison for a stretch is not likely to make your life better. Sometimes putting up a fence can solve a problem.

Reactions: Maximus

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Sad, whatever it is. Mental illness is no joke. I hope he gets the treatment he apparently desperately needs.

I kind of expected something like this. Pavelich has been living kind of as a recluse for years---his wife died in an accident a few years back. He's probably been living with issues all along and they probably have gradually worsened.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I kind of expected something like this. Pavelich has been living kind of as a recluse for years---his wife died in an accident a few years back. He's probably been living with issues all along and they probably have gradually worsened.

That's truly awful. He was never a fan of the limelight or anything, but it very clearly worsened. Really hope he can get the help he needs.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
That's truly awful. He was never a fan of the limelight or anything, but it very clearly worsened. Really hope he can get the help he needs.

Yeah it is--he and Ruotsolainen were my favorite players of that era and they were close friends. There were stories about Pavelich going back to his college days that he wasn't always the most enthusiastic about the game--that he hated practicing but he always played really hard. He also was supposedly a pretty good guitar player--but personality wise quiet as quiet gets. He didn't like lots of attention. I remember him once diving at a loose puck in front of the net and scoring a goal but getting a knee right in the forehead and being laid out afterwards. He tooks risks when he played.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Before my time.

1. CTE should logically exist in hockey. Certainly more cases in the old times and styles. The NHL softened the league somewhat, but the game is fundamentally the same. The clean hit still exists and it still causes brain damage.

2. All heroics aside, we tend to forget that these are still human beings. They can have any affiliation.

Reactions: Kupo

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
2. All heroics aside, we tend to forget that these are still human beings. They can have any affiliation.

So true. Even the toughest of guys like Boogard weren't immune to their personal struggles. We tend to look at athletes as rich folk who don't have the same problems we mortals do, and that's definitely not the case.

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Am I the only one who keeps seeing this and thinking of Ondrej Pavelec?

Probably. I'm thinking Lake Placid was long before you were born. This guy was one of the best players on the Olympic team and the Rangers in the early 80's.

Reactions: Maximus

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
this story, and whether it reflected long-term effects from hockey, were a lead story of the magazine of the Washington Post this month

https://www.washingtonpost.com/maga...lent-crime-was-head-trauma-blame/?arc404=true
An Olympic Hockey Hero, a Violent Crime and the Specter of Brain Trauma

Forty years ago, Mark Pavelich played a crucial role in the U.S. hockey team’s triumph over the Russians. Was there a steep cost for his lifetime on the ice?

Reactions: bernmeister

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
this story, and whether it reflected long-term effects from hockey, were a lead story of the magazine of the Washington Post this month

https://www.washingtonpost.com/maga...lent-crime-was-head-trauma-blame/?arc404=true
An Olympic Hockey Hero, a Violent Crime and the Specter of Brain Trauma

Forty years ago, Mark Pavelich played a crucial role in the U.S. hockey team’s triumph over the Russians. Was there a steep cost for his lifetime on the ice?

I read this a few days ago. I really feel for him. It breaks my heart seeing how well a lot of the Miracle guys are doing and then thinking about Pavelich

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Probably. I'm thinking Lake Placid was long before you were born. This guy was one of the best players on the Olympic team and the Rangers in the early 80's.

You got that right. Pavelich was part of the "smurfs" on those early 80's Ranger teams that were very good and exciting teams but just couldn't get past the Islanders when all was said and done.

Pavelich was a great Rangers...point a game guy he was that good. Too bad his career was cut short I think by concussions or something along those lines.

But man those were some fun times watching the smurfs...Rejo Routsalainen, Eddie Johnstone, Pavelich obviously, Mike Rogers.

Hopefully Pavs gets the help he needs.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
You got that right. Pavelich was part of the "smurfs" on those early 80's Ranger teams that were very good and exciting teams but just couldn't get past the Islanders when all was said and done.

Pavelich was a great Rangers...point a game guy he was that good. Too bad his career was cut short I think by concussions or something along those lines.

But man those were some fun times watching the smurfs...Rejo Routsalainen, Eddie Johnstone, Pavelich obviously, Mike Rogers.

Hopefully Pavs gets the help he needs.

There is no doubt he had concussions. His sister in fact believes he has CTE and if that's the case he's had it for a while and that can only get worse as a person gets older.

All that said his end with the Rangers IMO is at least in part because of the antipathy between him and the Rangers coach at that time Ted Sator. Before his last season with the Rangers was over he had packed his bags and quit the team--Ruotsolainen and Beck would both follow him at season's end. They had issues with Sator too. Malintentioned coaches as we've seen this year (Babcock, Peters for example) can create a lot of problems.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
There is no doubt he had concussions. His sister in fact believes he has CTE and if that's the case he's had it for a while and that can only get worse as a person gets older.

All that said his end with the Rangers IMO is at least in part because of the antipathy between him and the Rangers coach at that time Ted Sator. Before his last season with the Rangers was over he had packed his bags and quit the team--Ruotsolainen and Beck would both follow him at season's end. They had issues with Sator too. Malintentioned coaches as we've seen this year (Babcock, Peters for example) can create a lot of problems.

Yeah your right about Sator...he was hated by most of the team incuding as you say Pavelich.

What's bizarre about all of this was the somehow maybe to spite Sator, the Rangers despite having a very very mediocre regular season, got their shit together enough to sneak into the playoffs that 85-86 season and we went on this glorious fun playoff run where we beat the heavily favored Capitals and Flyers in huge upsets.

I believe both the Caps and Flyers had at least 30 more regular season points than us as both teams were loaded with talent at the time. But we incredibly ended up beating them both as I remember vividly Pierre Larouche my favorite Ranger at the time, going on some sick run of his as he was on fire that whole playoff run.

I recall as well Mike Ridley, Bob Brooke who was Pavelich's teamate on the 1980 USA team and Tomas Sandstrom having amazing playoff performances as well.

That was the year we all fell in love with the Beezer ...John Vanbiesbrouk who was amazing that entire year but especially during that insane playoff run of ours.

Forget the '94 Cup run as that is in it's own special catagory as far as Ranger playoff runs I've ever experienced and likely most of y'all but the 1986 playoff run was simply amazing.

Even tho our dream of a Cup ended at the hands of them stinken Canadians who beat us in 5 in the ECF, that 1985-86 playoff run to this day is about as fun a playoff run I have ever experienced as a fan. I will say the 1978-79 run to the Cup finals while beating the heavily favored and hated Islanders is WAY up there as well.

But there was something very special about this '86 playoff run. It came out of virtually nowhere and totally out of the blue with no warning at all which made it that much more special. It helped that we had a really fun team who tho they hated the coach ended up playing great hockey anyways at the absolute perfect time as well.

Good memories Eco...very good memories. I gotta feeling this team we got going on here is going to give us some very good memories as well before too long!!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah your right about Sator...he was hated by most of the team incuding as you say Pavelich.

What's bizarre about all of this was the somehow maybe to spite Sator, the Rangers despite having a very very mediocre regular season, got their shit together enough to sneak into the playoffs that 85-86 season and we went on this glorious fun playoff run where we beat the heavily favored Capitals and Flyers in huge upsets.

I believe both the Caps and Flyers had at least 30 more regular season points than us as both teams were loaded with talent at the time. But we incredibly ended up beating them both as I remember vividly Pierre Larouche my favorite Ranger at the time, going on some sick run of his as he was on fire that whole playoff run.

I recall as well Mike Ridley, Bob Brooke who was Pavelich's teamate on the 1980 USA team and Tomas Sandstrom having amazing playoff performances as well.

That was the year we all fell in love with the Beezer ...John Vanbiesbrouk who was amazing that entire year but especially during that insane playoff run of ours.

Forget the '94 Cup run as that is in it's own special catagory as far as Ranger playoff runs I've ever experienced and likely most of y'all but the 1986 playoff run was simply amazing.

Even tho our dream of a Cup ended at the hands of them stinken Canadians who beat us in 5 in the ECF, that 1985-86 playoff run to this day is about as fun a playoff run I have ever experienced as a fan. I will say the 1978-79 run to the Cup finals while beating the heavily favored and hated Islanders is WAY up there as well.

But there was something very special about this '86 playoff run. It came out of virtually nowhere and totally out of the blue with no warning at all which made it that much more special. It helped that we had a really fun team who tho they hated the coach ended up playing great hockey anyways at the absolute perfect time as well.

Good memories Eco...very good memories. I gotta feeling this team we got going on here is going to give us some very good memories as well before too long!!

I don't know if you remember but Pierre Larouche and Sator had issues in training camp and the Rangers sent Larouche to the minors and not just to the Rangers AHL minor league team but to the Hershey Bears instead and there Larouche languished for about 2/3's of the season before the Rangers out of desperation (I forget whether it was injuries or just playing awful or maybe it had something to do with Pavelich leaving) recalled him and then he went almost immediately on that insane goal scoring run and they did have a good run in the playoffs.

Bob Brooke was not on the 1980 US Olympic team. He was on the 1984 (Pat Lafontaine, Chris Chelios, Ed Olczyk) US Olympic team and I believe he was a rookie that year. The Rangers actually had at one time or another 4 of the players who played on that 1980 team--Rob McClanahan, Dave Silk, Bill Baker and of course Pavelich and Pavelich was the best of them.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I don't know if you remember but Pierre Larouche and Sator had issues in training camp and the Rangers sent Larouche to the minors and not just to the Rangers AHL minor league team but to the Hershey Bears instead and there Larouche languished for about 2/3's of the season before the Rangers out of desperation (I forget whether it was injuries or just playing awful or maybe it had something to do with Pavelich leaving) recalled him and then he went almost immediately on that insane goal scoring run and they did have a good run in the playoffs.

Bob Brooke was not on the 1980 US Olympic team. He was on the 1984 (Pat Lafontaine, Chris Chelios, Ed Olczyk) US Olympic team and I believe he was a rookie that year. The Rangers actually had at one time or another 4 of the players who played on that 1980 team--Rob McClanahan, Dave Silk, Bill Baker and of course Pavelich and Pavelich was the best of them.

Yah it sounds familiar that Larouche was sent to "Siberia" by Sator for most of the year but was called up and went totally off the hook as he was a true sniper and when he was on...not too many players at the time could snipe with Larouche.

And yes you are right about Brooke not being on the '80 Olympic team and like you said, it was the '84 team I got mixed up with. He was a decent enough player for the most part but during that playoff run, Brooke morphed into a super star for pretty much the only time in his career as he was stupendous.

I do recall us having a bunch of US Olympians like the ones you named and we also had the coach...Herbie Brooks who did a pretty darn good job while he was here. But yes Pavelich was by far the best of the Olympians we had.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Don’t forget. They gave Larouche‘s number 10 away to Kelly Miller also. That is why he played with number 24 when they recalled him.

Excellent memory...you are right...I recall that vividly.

BTW: You mentioning of Kelly Miller gives me nightmares still. Not about him but about the fact we dealt Miller and Mike Ridley to the Caps for Bobby Carpenter which is pretty close to being the worst trade in Rangers history at least IMO. Ridley after a great rookie season with us became a point per game stud with the Caps and Miller was a great complimentary piece and an absolute pain in the ass to have play against.

Carpenter who's looked like he was going to be a perennial all star after his first 3-4 years for some god forsaken reason ended up sucking for us and was one and done as I don't think he even played a full season before we got rid of him.

The only trade that was worse than that one was in our infinite wisdom was dealing a young stud Rick Middleton to the Bruins in return for Ken f***ing Hodge to make Esposito happy.

That deal might not only be the worst in Ranger history, it's way up there as one of the worst deals in NHL history it was so bad as Hodge had one good year for us and than went away whereas Middelton became a star and a perennial 40 goals a year all star and it could be argued he's pretty close to being a HOF player.

Just an awful deal we made there with Middelton and dealing away Ridley and Miller.

Those other deals were so so bad that it still gives me agida just thinking about them...lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad