Pavelich in the (bad) news

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Don't forget the reason why Ted Sator was brought in, and shipped guys like Rogers and Larouche off to the minors.

The Rangers completely underachieved in 1984-85 and management was pissed at how badly the team fell apart. As was mentioned, the early 80's teams were not all that far away from winning the whole thing. You really have to wonder if somehow a Caps team which always folded to the Islanders as well were able to have knocked the Islanders off, if the Rangers could have taken advantage of that? The Rangers (heck the whole Patrick Division) were better than anyone in the Adams or out West before 1985.

They wanted a completely different mindset for the 1985-86 season. That's why there was so much turnover. I always felt Pavelich was being a little b*tch about the situation, so was Rexi. It is possible that now knowing the way some coaches have been exposed, that Sator was an overly aggressive bully. Who knows. Just saying that the Rangers organization needed that kick in the *** that season.

Beck was injured a lot worse than anyone ever knew and I doubt he ever let anyone know.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Excellent memory...you are right...I recall that vividly.

BTW: You mentioning of Kelly Miller gives me nightmares still. Not about him but about the fact we dealt Miller and Mike Ridley to the Caps for Bobby Carpenter which is pretty close to being the worst trade in Rangers history at least IMO. Ridley after a great rookie season with us became a point per game stud with the Caps and Miller was a great complimentary piece and an absolute pain in the ass to have play against.

Carpenter who's looked like he was going to be a perennial all star after his first 3-4 years for some god forsaken reason ended up sucking for us and was one and done as I don't think he even played a full season before we got rid of him.

The only trade that was worse than that one was in our infinite wisdom was dealing a young stud Rick Middleton to the Bruins in return for Ken f***ing Hodge to make Esposito happy.

That deal might not only be the worst in Ranger history, it's way up there as one of the worst deals in NHL history it was so bad as Hodge had one good year for us and than went away whereas Middelton became a star and a perennial 40 goals a year all star and it could be argued he's pretty close to being a HOF player.

And both of those deals are because of one man - Phil Esposito.

Ridley/Miller for Carpenter is the worst move in team history. Carpenter had already backed down from his goal scoring peak, and everyone knew what Ridley and Miller were.

Carpenter was then traded to LA for dinosaur Marcel Dionne. That said, Dionne actually had a decent 1987-88 season, but he should have never been a Ranger.

Just an awful deal we made there with Middelton and dealing away Ridley and Miller.

Those other deals were so so bad that it still gives me agida just thinking about them...lol

One senile old bat is responsible for both those moves - Phil Esposito

Ridley/Miller for Carpenter was the worst trade in team history. Carpenter had already backed down from his goal scoring peak.

Carpenter was then traded to LA, for dinosaur Marcel Dionne. Now Dionne actually had a decent 1987-88, but couldn't make up for the loss of Ridley/Miller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad