Prospect Info: Pavel Zacha

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Arizona certainly took the slow road in terms of bringing Strome along, and in his first 18 or so NHL games I think he only had 2 points.

But, he was a dominant juniors player. And in the AHL this year he was over a ppg. Then on his return to the NHL late in the season he put up 8 points in 10 games.

So it's not a complete crazy thing to say. Still if one is complaining about Zacha being slow to develop into a legit top line player in the NHL it's odd to point to Strome as a guy you'd rather have.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Checked out Meier to see if he was benefiting from pp time or a high shooting % and answer to that is no. 30 of 36 points were at 5v5, and shot at 9.25%. So he did most of his damage at 5v5 and those points were earned. Just put alot of shots at net, 17.45 individual corsi per 60, and 9.86 shots per 60. His points per 60 were 1.71.

Zacha in comparison was at 10.83 corsi per 60, 6.28 shots per 60, and 1.42 points per 60.

Now Timo did have some advantages over Zacha, first he played most often with Pavelski as his center. And he's a rw, so he can just do his thing, keep the game simple, and put pucks on net. And for a guy with a pretty high goal to assist ratio to begin with, he also had a pretty low 1st assist to 2nd assist ratio. Where as Zacha was the opposite in that regard.

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Arizona certainly took the slow road in terms of bringing Strome along, and in his first 18 or so NHL games I think he only had 2 points.

But, he was a dominant juniors player. And in the AHL this year he was over a ppg. Then on his return to the NHL late in the season he put up 8 points in 10 games.

So it's not a complete crazy thing to say. Still if one is complaining about Zacha being slow to develop into a legit top line player in the NHL it's odd to point to Strome as a guy you'd rather have.

Yeah, Strome will prob put up more points next season. But he has struggled as well, I fully agree.

If polls were up on the main board , would you trade PZ for Meier or Strome if you're Ray Shero I think the results would be over 65% yes for Strome and over 80% for Meier

I'd trade for White and JEE as well .
Certainly Boesser and Beuvillier who were picked long afterwards.

The Devils rushed PZ, he should never have been on the team in 2016-2017

This upcoming season is basically make or break.

He needs to take a giant skate forward and help this team.

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yeah, Strome will prob put up more points next season. But he has struggled at well.

If polls were up on the main board , would you trade PZ for Meier or Strome if you're Ray Shero I think the results would be over 65% yes for Strome and over 80% for Meier

I don't care what the main board thinks. They're obsessed with potential over performance. Strome so far has struggled to crack the NHL on a pretty bad team. That's not a good sign, even as his AHL numbers were really great, and his junior numbers were too.

Glad to see you're still peddling the 'rushed PZ' narrative, I wonder how long you can lean on that one. Neither option was good in 16-17. Zacha handled it fine.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
saying a 21 year old season for a forward is "make or break" is again, completely ridiculous.

I don't know if it's "make or break" for him, but it will be telling for the team. We're at the cusp of being a very competitive team. To do that, we're going to need a good 2C, as our depth scoring really dropped off after the first quarter-ish of the season. For that to happen, Zacha will need to step up, noticeably so.

I don't think this upcoming season should be the one that defines his career, but it will be the one where we see whether he can be relied on for second-line duties, or if we have to go another route on that for the near-future - especially if we expect our "window" to be opening soon.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
DD, is Rantanen, who in 2015 you said we should stay away from, make your list of forwards you'd take over Zacha?

giphy.gif

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't know if it's "make or break" for him, but it will be telling for the team. We're at the cusp of being a very competitive team. To do that, we're going to need a good 2C, as our depth scoring really dropped off after the first quarter-ish of the season. For that to happen, Zacha will need to step up, noticeably so.

I don't think this upcoming season should be the one that defines his career, but it will be the one where we see whether he can be relied on for second-line duties, or if we have to go another route on that for the near-future - especially if we expect our "window" to be opening soon.

I don't disagree with any of this.

I am curious to see if we are after any of the centers on the market this summer.

Of course we'd all love Tavares, but I wouldn't mind signing Stastny

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
The "rushed Zacha" narrative is certainly overblown and calls back to, once again, wanting immediate results out of players solely based on draft position.

With Zacha, it's been quite clear over the last 2 years that his biggest struggle is between the ears. He stated to the media that in juniors, he was able to coast on certain practice days and not hear a word about it. It's a completely different mentality in the pros, and that has been something he's needed to adjust to. That comes with learning and experience in order to break a bad habit that was developed. In my opinion, with his natural ability, he stands to learn more from being in the bigs rather than the AHL or the OHL where he developed that habit in the first place.

Along with that, he plays more tentatively and needs to start relying on that skill and natural talent that got him here in the first place. He's gradually become a better player, and next year the expectation should be an increase in production. So I expect him to be the 2C to start barring an acquisition along with getting consistent PP time. Getting Nico in the draft was gigantic because it should relieve Zacha from having to burden a load that he might not be ready to handle.

I wouldn't say it's make or break, but it's certainly a year where we can hope for another step or two forward in his development.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn

I am curious to see if we are after any of the centers on the market this summer.

Stastny would be such a perfect signing - a guy who could take pressure off of both Zacha and Nico (if he slumps or gets hurt or something) for a few years.

(I'm just assuming Tavares won't be here. Hope springs eternal, though.)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, Strome will prob put up more points next season. But he has struggled as well, I fully agree.

But why is Meier a clear cut better choice at this moment? He's a winger who played with the Sharks best fwd. Zacha is a center who played with no one near Paveliski's ability. And even with that he only put up .29 more points per 60 at 5v5.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I think I'll pass on Stastny. Turns 33 in Dec, and though he did play 80 games last year, he consistently misses 10 or so games a year.

Would he be a short term upgrade? yeah he probably would, but am I looking to squeeze Zacha out of a center spot in order to bring him in? No I am not.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I think I'll pass on Stastny. Turns 33 in Dec, and though he did play 80 games last year, he consistently misses 10 or so games a year.

Would he be a short term upgrade? yeah he probably would, but am I looking to squeeze Zacha out of a center spot in order to bring him in? No I am not.

I mean if Stastny comes in it helps.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I mean if Stastny comes in it helps.

Doesn't help your cap. Doesn't help Zacha's icetime. He needs to get his confidence up; not be buried on a 3rd line. We've got bigger needs at RW and LD and I'm not sure Stastny is really an upgrade if Zacha progresses and takes the same strides as he did this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad