Confirmed with Link: Pavel Zacha Traded to Boston for Erik Haula

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I know you would have, and probably even paid a little right? Which would have been terrible asset management and completely emotions based reaction. Fortunately our staff at least tries to think things logically and not let their emotions affect their decisions.

But I respect you saying it straight instead of acting like Haula is some great price we got. Boston fans are pretty excited about Zacha even after reading us say how terrible he is..

Of course they're excited, just like we're excited about Haula, that's how trades go. Haula was a UFA signing, he's not some young player who was drafted high and who had a good half-season. He's nearing the end of his NHL career.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I don't even care if he scores 100 points next season.

Many of you have said and it feels like you're already trying to cover your ass incase Zacha breaks out in Boston. But you should definitely care, since it'd show that Zacha himself was not the only problem, but that the coaching teammates/chemistry culture is an issue here.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Many of you have said and it feels like you're already trying to cover your ass incase Zacha breaks out in Boston. But you should definitely care, since it'd show that Zacha himself was not the only problem, but that the coaching teammates/chemistry culture is an issue here.

Zacha was given 1000 chances to "break out" in NJ and he never could do it. Was he rushed at the start of his career? Yeah, probably...but still. He wasnt good enough.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Zacha was given 1000 chances to "break out" in NJ and he never could do it. Was he rushed at the start of his career? Yeah, probably...but still. He wasnt good enough.

Which is why he probably "only" scores around 45pts in Boston. But if he suddenly becomes a ppg+ player, you should definitely care and wonder why he didn't do it here. But enough of this for now, lets continue this at the Haula thread in October ;)

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Haula isn't bad, but other team's probably see this as a steal for Boston due to thinking Zacha has untapped potential.

I think they are players of similar value, but the age difference makes this kind of a headscratcher for me. Surely Boston could have thrown in something more?

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Re: Zacha

I read on the Boston board (they had some twitter posts from Zacha media avail today for them), it looks like Pavel was already well acquainted with Boston area

1) He bought a house there LAST summer.
2) He trains there in offseason, I remember him mentioning that in preseason last year and his media quotes today affirmed that (thanks to Boyle and Hays taking him up there years back)
3) His gf (fiancée) is from Massachusetts
4) His childhood friend is Jakub Zboril

It looks to me, he should be pretty thrilled to be in Boston.

<puts on conspiracy hat>

___

Also, wish a few more Boston fans would come over here and give a few independent takes on Haula, it seems a few of us already went to the Boston board for Zacha.

Most of these 8 pages are us arguing and re-hashing the pro/con Zacha shit as always. Never die, NJD HFBoards! :nod:

Last edited:

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

if thats the case then we seriously have way bigger problems on our hands then worrying about palat and his contract with the cap lol

or

could it be that zacha sucks and has always sucked being drafted by fossil lou and conte?

what one do you think is more plausible?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Haula isn't bad, but other team's probably see this as a steal for Boston due to thinking Zacha has untapped potential.

I think they are players of similar value, but the age difference makes this kind of a headscratcher for me. Surely Boston could have thrown in something more?
Due to being put into the NHL at age 19 (because he wasn't allowed to play in the AHL that year) Zacha only has one year left until he's UFA eligible and not 2 years to go, like a player his age typically would.

I'd imagine that might have decreased his value slightly.

BananaGenetics

Jun 29, 2022
if thats the case then we seriously have way bigger problems on our hands then worrying about palat and his contract with the cap lol

or

could it be that zacha sucks and has always sucked being drafted by fossil lou and conte?

what one do you think is more plausible?
Its probably in the middle

Zacha is better than he was here but not by much and it isnt an NJ issue, its a Zacha issue

He came to a team that was bad with a coach who was hard on younger guys and especially him. He already had issues with confidence before that and those 2-3 seasons didnt help but hurt it further.

If Zacha scores 50pts and 20 goals, so be it. If he becomes a 65pt guy, then wow I didnt see that coming. If he becomes a 35pt guy then yeah maybe he did just kinda mail his career in.

But idt he sucks. I just think theres issues or were that prevented us from seeing a better Zacha is all

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Due to being put into the NHL at age 19 (because he wasn't allowed to play in the AHL that year) Zacha only has one year left until he's UFA eligible and not 2 years to go, like a player his age typically would.

I'd imagine that might have decreased his value slightly.
Good point. But down to the value of a 30+ journeyman?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well, look at it this way. He's a player that's never hit 40 points. Not even once in 6 years in the league.

Now, this is a bit disingenuous on my part, as he has certainly paced for 40 points several times. Even over 50 points once (in 20-21), but shortened seasons, be it because he was hurt or the season was pandemic shortened have prevented him from ever actually reaching 40 points.

Really, his overall production seems to be about a 40-45 point a year player. There's potential for him to hit more than that in some years, but he just hasn't done it yet. He's averaged 38 points per 82 in his career so far in the NHL.

Reactions: mattihp

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Yes, because of his status as an arbitration-eligible RFA who does very little other than score. You see teams letting these sorts of players walk to unrestricted free agency much more often now - Chicago did it with Strome and Kubalik, Anaheim did it with Milano, it's very common. Because arbitration relies on using points as the major determination of a player's value, these players get overpaid, even if they don't go to arbitration, teams know what they have to pay these guys.

I was surprised the Devils qualified Zacha and more surprised that they got a useful player back for him.

Reactions: mattihp

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It would be our luck if that bum decided to put the work in and become a player in Boston

I really don't care. It was never going to happen here. Odds are he will be the same player there too though. Players are not leaving this team and turning into secret superstars. Zacha would be the first to leave and become significantly better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad