Confirmed with Link: Pavel Zacha Traded to Boston for Erik Haula

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Mogilny was the only one to it from the 2nd line which is super impressive in my opinion.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Mogilny was the only one to it from the 2nd line which is super impressive in my opinion.
Verbeek is actually not in the hall of fame. I can't believe I forgot about that.

Was definitely a hall of very good player. He actually wasn't too much better in career points than MacLean, but he played quite a bit over 200 more games than MacLean did.

Too many meh years late in his career where his production dropped off. Not nearly Kirk Muller levels of drop off, but enough to keep him far away from the hall.

Mogilny is really the only player on the list that really absolutely should be in the hall, no questions asked and isn't for political reasons.

The other players are very good though, but not really hall of fame material outside of maybe Elias.

I guess I would say Mogilny is a step above everybody else on that list, while Gionta is a step below everybody else on that list.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Verbeek is actually not in the hall of fame. I can't believe I forgot about that.

Was definitely a hall of very good player. He actually wasn't too much better in career points than MacLean, but he played quite a bit over 200 more games than MacLean did.

Too many meh years late in his career where his production dropped off. Not nearly Kirk Muller levels of drop off, but enough to keep him far away from the hall.

Mogilny is really the only player on the list that really absolutely should be in the hall, no questions asked and isn't for political reasons.

The other players are very good though, but not really hall of fame material outside of maybe Elias.

I guess I would say Mogilny is a step above everybody else on that list, while Gionta is a step below everybody else on that list.
The only reason I can think of to explain why Mogilny isn’t in the HHofF (and it’s a stupid one) is he doesn’t have a particular NHL team he’s associated with.

I guess he doesn’t have the “hardware” too but you have to ignore how trailblazing his 1989-90 season was as a 20 yo Russian player. And how amazing he was.

It was a f***ing knife in my heart when we lost him the 1st time, it still stings more than most losses, which is wild because he played a total of 121 regular season games for us. And his return was such a weird clusterf*** and a obviously terrible idea from the start (and yet 34 of those 121 GP).

One of my all time favorite Devils, it’s probably the briefness of the run that still makes me sad about it.

I always remember the Mogilny jersey my brother’s Ex gave him for Christmas in 2001, it was the bittersweet capper. (She tried lol.)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The only reason I can think of to explain why Mogilny isn’t in the HHofF (and it’s a stupid one) is he doesn’t have a particular NHL team he’s associated with.

I guess he doesn’t have the “hardware” too but you have to ignore how trailblazing his 1989-90 season was as a 20 yo Russian player. And how amazing he was.

It was a f***ing knife in my heart when we lost him the 1st time, it still stings more than most losses, which is wild because he played a total of 121 regular season games for us. And his return was such a weird clusterf*** and a obviously terrible idea from the start (and yet 34 of those 121 GP).

One of my all time favorite Devils, it’s probably the briefness of the run that still makes me sad about it.

I always remember the Mogilny jersey my brother’s Ex gave him for Christmas in 2001, it was the bittersweet capper. (She tried lol.)
I often wondered if his "trailblazing " was being held against him?

Mogilny straight up defected....He was the first to do so from the Soviet Union and in doing so he kind of set back some of the work Fetisov did to open the door for legit entry. I always kind of felt some in the hockey world looked down on his defection.

Reactions: Guttersniped

SempreMilan

Jul 13, 2022

I love Mogilny, but I dont think he's an HOFer given the era he played in and the numbers put up by his contemporaries who did make the cut. You compare him to Jagr, Sealanne, Lemieux, Gretzky etc. It also matters that he was a no show in the playoffs for us. I dont think he quite makes the cut. I guess that kind of depends on how you view Halls of Fame themselves. He was a great player though. Was fkn pumped when we got him.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I love Mogilny, but I dont think he's an HOFer given the era he played in and the numbers put up by his contemporaries who did make the cut. You compare him to Jagr, Sealanne, Lemieux, Gretzky etc. It also matters that he was a no show in the playoffs for us. I dont think he quite makes the cut. I guess that kind of depends on how you view Halls of Fame themselves. He was a great player though. Was fkn pumped when we got him.
He had over a point a game. If Bure is in there then Mogilny really should be in there. Just because he wasn’t as good as the guys you named doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be in there. Plenty of players not as good as him are in the hall.

Was he really a no-show in the playoffs for us? He didn’t have a whole lot of points in the cup winning year, but he had 16 points in 25 games in the year we didn’t win.

SempreMilan

Jul 13, 2022
He had over a point a game. If Bure is in there then Mogilny really should be in there. Just because he wasn’t as good as the guys you named doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be in there. Plenty of players not as good as him are in the hall.

Was he really a no-show in the playoffs for us? He didn’t have a whole lot of points in the cup winning year, but he had 16 points in 25 games in the year we didn’t win.
7 points in 23 games. That's considerably less than not a whole lot, but you are entitled to your opinion, and I respect it. We just have different criteria. I wouldn't be mad if Mogilny got in. I was a big fan.

Reactions: Bleedred

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
even getting into the 35 goal club is something...some usual suspects on the list ......but like you said, 40 goals is a pretty significant accomplishment...especially in this era

richer --1995 shortened season (23 in 45) 41 pace
hall 39
elias 38
richer 38
maclean 37
semak 37
muller 37
kovalchuk 37
richer 36
adams 35
verbeek 35
elias 35
sykora 35
Muller and Semak are the only Centers in our top 20 in goals(season)....

Muller's 37 goals and 94 points were both his career highs and he was only 21 years old when he did it... imagine having a 19 year career until the age of 36 and you hit your peak at 21.

Gomez with 33 goals is #23

But those are the only Centers we've ever had in our entire history to produce over 30. A grand total of 3.

When I hear people say center is the most important position I always chuckle... it's not that disagree...just knowing the Devil's never really had an elite center, maybe you can argue Muller was in 1988...or Gomez at various points from a play making point of view but even still in 40 years pretty much all our best players that led us to Cups were not Centers...from a forward perspective, wingers have been massively more important in our success...but of course we all know it's really Defensemen that are the most important players on the ice ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: njdevils1982

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
When I hear people say center is the most important position I always chuckle... it's not that disagree...just knowing the Devil's never really had an elite center, maybe you can argue Muller was in 1988...or Gomez at various points from a play making point of view but even still in 40 years pretty much all our best players that led us to Cups were not Centers...from a forward perspective, wingers have been massively more important in our success...but of course we all know it's really Defensemen that are the most important players on the ice ;)
Well Devils in their heyday were able to be a prime counter example because they had great goaltending, great defense, and then really good winger play.

So as long as you are really strong in all of the other positional groups you can win without elite centers.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
say Devils are a playoff lock.
491EF63B-52D0-494B-9CF2-DABCB168EC74.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad