Pavel Datsyuk appreciation thread

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
While others have had more raw talent or production in different facets of the game, I honestly don't know if there's ever been a player with such a unique mix of offensive creativity and defensive tenacity. You simply could not keep the puck from him at either end of the ice, and he did so (seemingly) without ever taking a penalty.

I admit that early in his career, I was skeptical about whether he could take things to the next level and be a cornerstone for playoff runs going forward, but he answered in spades, and I've never been happier to be proven wrong.

Kudos to you, Pavel. One of the most entertaining hockey players of all time.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
We have likely had a handful of "better" players all time, but likely not one with better hands, or hockey IQ, and sheer entertainment quality than Datsyuk.

What a joy he was to watch.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
It's done now, and pretty painlessly too! Gonna miss the Magic Man, nothing but good memories as he rides into the sunset. That's another nice feature of the trade, I suppose. It helps preserve Datsyuk's legacy.

Last edited:

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I hope he enjoys the weather in Arizona:sarcasm:

Bon voyage, frer Datsyuk. I'll be sure to watch any international games he plays in.

Alpha190

Feb 3, 2007
I started following the Red Wings because thye were my team on the NHL94 on the SNES. Yzerman, Fedorov and Coffey quickly became my favorite players. Yzerman leadership was truly one of the greatest things I've witness on the ice from the 02 playoff run. But that's when I got introduced to Pavel.

I didn't get to see many games, just mainly highlights because I lived in Sweden and it cost a lot for a kid back then to get the games. But I saw the 3OT game in the SC fials where Pavel almost finished the game in 1OT with a crazy dangle and I knew this kid was something special. That was the first time I said wow I've never seen anybody do that. Not even Bure or Fedorov.

Here is the dangle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWUjjtY_V_8

FF to 48:07

The 2nd time I said wow was of course the Datsyukian deke on Turco and my all time favorite deke is of course the one on Vokoun.

However my favorite thing with Datsuyk is his creativity on the ice, that split second of coming up with something so crazy but making it work. Noy only what he could do with the puck but what he could do with other players equipment. To understand what I mean check this link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?=Q29WC_OiEWc&list=LLHF60JVvhPfDCHF0idCTJ6w

and FF to 8:53 and wait for Ray Ferraro to comment the replay of the goal. To just come up with that idea is beyond crazy but remarkable and Ray says so himself. The play gives Pavel time to set up Zetterberg, just small things like that makes Pavel my favorite player to this date. He had it all in his prime and to me was the best player in the world at a point. Nick will probably be the greatest player I've ever seen play, but I'll always remind people of Pavel's brilliance on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad