Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
Don’t draw too many generalisations from that interview regarding Russia vs North America. Some of it is due to the type of person that Buch is: quiet, smart & skinny.

I used to know a few Russian kids like him. Almost like copy-paste of him. Very smart but also very strongheaded. I agree that he needs to get stronger but don’t be surprised if he stays the same skinny brilliant self throughout his career.

Most KHL players say the same cliche stuff as NHL players during intermission interviews.

If anything, sports journalism has a really long history and surprisingly intellectual streak in Russia/Soviet Union. Even the old Russian guy who does commentary for snooker and other stuff on Eurosport has so many insights, anecdotes that my dad enjoys. So sports journalists are used to adding a certain something special every time. Watching KHL and having my dad translate the commentary is always a joy.

For example, during the CSKA - SKA series they had a great interview with the head of officiating in the KHL - honest and illuminating. Really good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holden the Stick

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Good **** Snowblind.

If we ever have a Greek on our team I’ll be happy to translate myself. Might be awhile though....

P0189.jpg

If we get Dominik Bokk, I know like ten words in German. But every German speaks English anyway :laugh:

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That can be one of the least confusing things about the language, but, yes, you learn the alphabet and then find out a few months later that they've scattered the letter ё all throughout their language but without the dots. Sergachev is a topical example.

I mean it's not that confusing. But I first read it as Zhestokiy and thought he meant "cruel". Then I saw there was no "o". But either way I think I would have read it wrong. I read fine, just a bit slowly, but that does trip me up.

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
I’ve been saying this for a long time and I’m glad that’s the case and I like that he owns up to it. Every player develops differently and Buch with confidence vs without is really noticeable. Hopefully the new coach gives him consistent minutes and has patience with him
Bush move by Buch. The first thing a new boss looks at is whether you trash the old boss. Won't be surprised to see him part of a package to move up in the draft. The correct answer would have been "I understand the reasons why we needed to make a coaching change but I am eager to show a new coach what I can do."

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Bush move by Buch. The first thing a new boss looks at is whether you trash the old boss. Won't be surprised to see him part of a package to move up in the draft. The correct answer would have been "I understand the reasons why we needed to make a coaching change but I am eager to show a new coach what I can do."

Counterpoint: "I feel like I wasn't put in the best position to succeed last year. Give me the faith and trust I need, and you'll be rewarded."

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan

That would be such a dumb move. Kid has bags of talent. He should be put in a position to succeed (see: KZB line), not dicked around by the coach all year long.

Sure he has lots to improve on, but you don't give up on a skilled player like him after a year or two. I'm not saying Buch is as talented as Kucherov, Pastrnak or Tarasenko, but all of those guys hadn't really broken out two years in (Kucherov excepted). They all put it together for real in their 3rd year.

People keep saying NYR are desperate for high end skill... so why trade away one of the few guys on the roster who fits that description?

He deserves a chance under a coach who knows how to use players properly. He shouldn't be squandered to move up from #8 to #5 or whatever.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Sometimes I like American culture in its lack of bluntness. But I hate this corporate shit where we're trashing a kid for giving an honest answer. This is entertainment and we're trashing him for telling us what he actually thinks and humanizing himself? f*** that. He didn't say anything offensive or out of line.

Last edited:

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
Sometimes I like American culture in its lack of bluntness. But I hate this corporate **** where we're trashing a kid for giving an honest answer. This is entertainment and we're trashing him for telling us what he actually thinks and humanizing himself? **** that. He didn't say anything offensive or out of line.
I'm not trashing him, I love it. But it isn't a smart career move.

Smart career move: say nothing. Or if you have to speak, say words that mean nothing.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
First thing a good boss looks at is if you're capable of doing your job well, and if so, how well.

Good bosses aren't petty and self-centered, they care about and make decision based on what's best for the organization.

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
First thing a good boss looks at is if you're capable of doing your job well, and if so, how well.

Good bosses aren't petty and self-centered, they care about and make decision based on what's best for the organization.
Mickey Callaway is a decent coach so far and what did he do to a guy that showed up to the first game late?
Goner.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Mickey Callaway is a decent coach so far and what did he do to a guy that showed up to the first game late?
Goner.
I don't really follow baseball at all, googled the name and I guess he's the new Mets coach?

Anyway, punishing someone for showing up late to a game is very different than trading someone because they said the previous coach didn't handle them well.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
PB vs Vesey

I think it is pretty clear right now that Vesey is the more complete player. PB definitely has more offensive flair/skill and vision, and is more creative, but Vesey is better away from the puck in terms of knowing where to be to get the puck back.
What about now? Is Vesey the more complete player?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad