Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Apparently he was "written in" to the PK by the end of the season but never got to play. This is in addition to what he said that was mentioned in the article where he felt like Russian players get stereotyped for not playing defense. It's funny because if I were a Russian that doesn't know NHL culture, I'd think he's paranoid. But he's 100% right.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Regarding his fight with Ghost.

Pavel: We always have these things with Philadelphia. Afterwards everyone laughed at the fight. Like, two heavyweights met. Girioux skated by and said "you're the heavyweight champion". People are pretty calm about these fights. Remember when I fought Steven Stamkos?

Edit: Missed the best part!

Continued: During a break he (Stamkos) asks me how I am. I said fine, how about you? He said that his neck hurts, maybe he scraped his skin. There's no anger like "you'll die", "I'll wait for you after the game".

Interviewer: Not everyone would fight Stamkos. Star.

Pavel: I wasn't the initiator. However, the situation was serious. Sometimes I get a brain cramp (best translation I can think of) during a hockey game. This game was this type of situation. I played Kucherov very hard. I didn't want to injure him but I played him very hard. (I had to look up the word that he used for "hard" my guess he meant "rough" in this situation).

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This might be the best line:

Interviewer: Do you invite (your teammates) to Russia?

Pavel: They're scared. Listen I'm surprised but to them Russia is still scary. Basically, a bear with a Balalayka (a Russian string instrument) and a bottle of Vodka.

Interviewer: No shit!

Pavel: In the US there are videos of crazy things happening. They think everyone's like that. Mats Zuccarello when he played in Magnitagorsk, almost got into a fight on the street. Everyone's scared.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I missed a question. The Russian reporter who posted the article made the correction, but if it was missed Buch did NOT say he didn't feel anything when AV was fired. This were the question and answer:

Interviewer: Your head coach Alain Vigneault was fired unusually. In the morning he said he's definitely not getting let go and at night it happened. DID YOU FEEL THAT THERE WERE CHANGES COMING?

Pavel: I didn't feel anything. But if the organization decided to rebuild then it should be done everywhere, including the coach. But no one discusses these types of questions with the players. We found out in the news.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Honestly, interviews in North American sports:

Interviewer: What do you have to do to win?

Hockey player: We just gotta follow the game plan eh, you gotta get pucks to the net, eh.

or

Interviewer: What can you tell me about the win?

Hockey player: The boys fought hard, eh.

Non-hockey NA interview:

Interview: Where do you think you rank among NFL/NBA players?

NFL/NBA backup scrub player: I am the greatest to ever play this game!

It's so nice to get a non-NA interview from a non-NA player, where the guy isn't a boring drone and isn't so full of himself you want to punch him.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Honestly, interviews in North American sports:

Interviewer: What do you have to do to win?

Hockey player: We just gotta follow the game plan eh, you gotta get pucks to the net, eh.

or

Interviewer: What can you tell me about the win?

Hockey player: The boys fought hard, eh.

Non-hockey NA interview:

Interview: Where do you think you rank among NFL/NBA players?

NFL/NBA backup scrub player: I am the greatest to ever play this game!

It's so nice to get a non-NA interview from a non-NA player, where the guy isn't a boring drone and isn't so full of himself you want to punch him.
I tend to see a difference between Canadian answers and American answers, but to each his own. Also, everyone is more comfortable speaking in their own language. He is on the other side of the world, proximity alone would make a person feel like they are more removed from their job and able to just speak freely. Saying the same things right next door to where you work is different. It is also the off-season, lips are looser.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
At the end of the day Pavel scored 2 goals in the last 28 games of the season. Gorton talked about a couple of guys who kind of mailed it in and a lot posters here automatically assumed he was talking about Buch—and with good reason IMO.

My opinion—you don’t have to like it or agree with it—but the reason he stopped scoring goals more than anything else was he was too much on the perimeter after his concussion. He might blame AV for his numbers being **** in the second half. I think he should look in the mirror too. Personally I wouldn’t have had him anywhere near the first line if he wasn’t going hard to the net either.

Buch did say it in the interview that concussion impacted his performance.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Buch did say it in the interview that concussion impacted his performance.

They often do. Zibanejad came back from one earlier in the year and he was on the perimeter a lot after that too. Most players these days are very cognizant how dangerous they can be to their long term health so I don’t really get angry at players when they hold back at least for a while. Buch needs to get bigger and stronger so that he can take the hitting better because the more impact he has the more opponents are going to target him.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
They often do. Zibanejad came back from one earlier in the year and he was on the perimeter a lot after that too. Most players these days are very cognizant how dangerous they can be to their long term health so I don’t really get angry at players when they hold back at least for a while. Buch needs to get bigger and stronger so that he can take the hitting better because the more impact he has the more opponents are going to target him.

Plus he got yelled at by the team doctors after getting into a fight post-concussion.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
AV is known to be the type of coach to let the players handle the room. There's good and bad with that in the sense that some players "leaders" may not be comfortable with the role of bad cop when they have to be and try to supportive voice in all situations (not all situations call for a supportive voice).

The good is that true leaders should emerge in that environment. The bad is that if everyone is too friendly, it makes for an awkward atmosphere to call a guy out whe the need arises.

There has to be a personality in the room that can detach himself from the friend and let a player know to get his head out of his rear end.

I don't think there was that type of person in the locker room since Martin St. Louis

Reactions: haveandare

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I think that is completely fair.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I tend to see a difference between Canadian answers and American answers, but to each his own. Also, everyone is more comfortable speaking in their own language. He is on the other side of the world, proximity alone would make a person feel like they are more removed from their job and able to just speak freely. Saying the same things right next door to where you work is different. It is also the off-season, lips are looser.

Yeah, that's part of it, he could be more honest. And it wasn't a 2 minute intermission interview either. But either way, I can't relate to them as people usually. Here he comes off as a person.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
This interview is gold. Why don't we get this level of detail from North American interviewers and players?
The culture shock between Russia and North America is real. I intend to work there as soon as I can get my passport together and the right contract available and 50/50 when I tell people this they freak out and act like I'm going to be immediately thrown in jail and/or murdered.

Regarding the bit I quoted: As I understand, Russians who move to or study in North America have a difficult time adjusting and making friends (amongst other things). Others find them abrasive because their culture is such that, if they want you to respect them and vice-versa, they tell you exactly what their opinion is without regards to your feelings (infamously, they seem to be fans of telling people if they think they are fat). They are also not fans of smiling at strangers and displaying forced optimism.

I don't know if you guys missed it, but reading about Kucherov's comments last offseason might be illuminating. He criticized, without naming, certain teammates who, and I'm paraphrasing here, "got their money and stopped playing hard." We assumed he was talking about Alex Killorn due to the sizable contract he got (relative to his regular season performance).

Also, here is a wiki page for that word. You pretty much nailed it: жёстко - Wiktionary

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The culture shock between Russia and North America is real. I intend to work there as soon as I can get my passport together and the right contract available and 50/50 when I tell people this they freak out and act like I'm going to be immediately thrown in jail and/or murdered.

Regarding the bit I quoted: As I understand, Russians who move to or study in North America have a difficult time adjusting and making friends (amongst other things). Others find them abrasive because their culture is such that, if they want you to respect them and vice-versa, they tell you exactly what their opinion is without regards to your feelings (infamously, they seem to be fans of telling people if they think they are fat). They are also not fans of smiling at strangers and displaying forced optimism.

I don't know if you guys missed it, but reading about Kucherov's comments last offseason might be illuminating. He criticized, without naming, certain teammates who, and I'm paraphrasing here, "got their money and stopped playing hard." We assumed he was talking about Alex Killorn due to the sizable contract he got (relative to his regular season performance).

Also, here is a wiki page for that word. You pretty much nailed it: жёстко - Wiktionary

Ah, I know the word but read the "e" as "ye", not "yo".

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Ah, I know the word but read the "e" as "ye", not "yo".
That can be one of the least confusing things about the language, but, yes, you learn the alphabet and then find out a few months later that they've scattered the letter ё all throughout their language but without the dots. Sergachev is a topical example.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Good **** Snowblind.

If we ever have a Greek on our team I’ll be happy to translate myself. Might be awhile though....

P0189.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->