Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't see any reason at all that the Rangers shouldn't be bringing Buchnevich along and make him part of the future. It's part of developing players. You don't throw up your hands and dump them immediately when they have inconsistencies in their games and season.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Buchnevich is now 3rd on the team in points... Well, unless you count the guy we traded, and Kreider being injured, and Namestnikov total points, and adjust for Spooner who played less games, and then finally adjust for Buchnevich scoring 20 of those points in his first 25('ish?) games.

He's improved since last season but his on ice struggles isn't limited to playing minutes and line-mates. Buchnevich needs to up his game next season. We don't need more floaters who get their points and do nothing else.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you want to throw out a bunch of things against him, you can't make the argument that those count, but playing time and line mates don't factor in just as much, if not more. And I'd definitely argue more. I think those are way more significant factors than the ones you named. Namestnikov and Spooner were traded for a reason. Spooner was essentially given away, Tampa Bay ripped us off swapping Miller for Namestnikov. Miller could compete for the title of the Rangers top forward, Namestnikov clearly cannot, whether he ends the season with some extra points due to being carried by Hart Trophy candidates or not.

If no one got injured and ice time and line mates were distributed evenly, I think we'd see some four way split this season between Zibanejad, Zuccarello, Kreider and Buchnevich for the points lead. Which player lead the team in points could really just be a matter of who has a good season and who doesn't. Who has a slightly higher SH% this season, and who doesn't. Unfortunately, three of those players have missed a significant amount of games and two get significantly less ice time than they should, along with problems in the line structure, as well.

And no, he hasn't been good recently. Its not unusual that players would tune out when the games no longer matter, but whether he's done that or not shouldn't mean we excuse Insane Alain for his poor coaching.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I chalk up Buchnevich to end-of-season indifference. He'll come back in the fall refreshed and ready to go.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
If we get a new coach the "doghouse" guys will have a clean slate. Of course we will never have JT again, who was certainly one of our top 3 forwards. How our most valuable players are allowed to be treated like this is beyond me.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If you want to throw out a bunch of things against him, you can't make the argument that those count, but playing time and line mates don't factor in just as much, if not more. And I'd definitely argue more. I think those are way more significant factors than the ones you named. Namestnikov and Spooner were traded for a reason. Spooner was essentially given away, Tampa Bay ripped us off swapping Miller for Namestnikov. Miller could compete for the title of the Rangers top forward, Namestnikov clearly cannot, whether he ends the season with some extra points due to being carried by Hart Trophy candidates or not.

If no one got injured and ice time and line mates were distributed evenly, I think we'd see some four way split this season between Zibanejad, Zuccarello, Kreider and Buchnevich for the points lead. Which player lead the team in points could really just be a matter of who has a good season and who doesn't. Who has a slightly higher SH% this season, and who doesn't. Unfortunately, three of those players have missed a significant amount of games and two get significantly less ice time than they should, along with problems in the line structure, as well.

And no, he hasn't been good recently. Its not unusual that players would tune out when the games no longer matter, but whether he's done that or not shouldn't mean we excuse Insane Alain for his poor coaching.
I agree with pretty much all of this except Miller was never our top forward. The guys put up points but floated way too often. When he was on and throwing around his weight, shooting, driving play, he was very good but that wasn't nearly consistent enough. Kreider gets a ton of flack for being inconsistent but Miller was even worse this year at least imo.

Having said that, yeah Vlad for Miller is not a good swap. It's possible they took that into account and got more on what's being thought of as the McD part of the deal to balance that out.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Would Shesty be fighting for #1 or #2 with Sorokin?

Not sure if Geo will be playing?

Yeah, but I think Sorokin will win that win without Shestyorkin getting a chance. Usually turns out that way for him.

I don't think they'd bring Koschechkin back to play the World Championship, given his age. Its not like its must win, compared to the Olympics, and they claimed thats why he was playing the Olympics. He also was awful at the Olympics. If they don't get any of their NHL goalies, could be Georgiyev or Samsonov for the final spot? They have Bob, Vasya, Varlamov, Khudobin among NHL goalies, but Varmalov is already out for the season.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Yeah, but I think Sorokin will win that win without Shestyorkin getting a chance. Usually turns out that way for him.

I don't think they'd bring Koschechkin back to play the World Championship, given his age. Its not like its must win, compared to the Olympics, and they claimed thats why he was playing the Olympics. He also was awful at the Olympics. If they don't get any of their NHL goalies, could be Georgiyev or Samsonov for the final spot? They have Bob, Vasya, Varlamov, Khudobin among NHL goalies, but Varmalov is already out for the season.
True. Would be sick to see both Geo and Shesty there.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Not sure there is any player I'm more disappointed in in the final portion of the season than Buch. 1 goal in the last 27 games? 1 point in the last 8 games? The dude mailed it in, looked completely unengaged the final 2 months. Barely created anything on his own.

He really needs a wake up call in the offseason. Hopefully a new coach will light a fire under his ass.

Still needs to get stronger too.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Not sure there is any player I'm more disappointed in in the final portion of the season than Buch. 1 goal in the last 27 games? 1 point in the last 8 games? The dude mailed it in, looked completely unengaged the final 2 months. Barely created anything on his own.

He really needs a wake up call in the offseason. Still needs to get stronger too.
I've been underwhelmed by him for awhile. Doesn't seem to have a high compete level.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

He really needs a wake up call in the offseason. Hopefully a new coach will light a fire under his ass.

Still needs to get stronger too.
Very dissapointing 2nd half of the season. Still needs a lot of work, especially his strength and skating. He's still way too easy to knock off the puck, and he always is a step behind the play. He's also been a total zero in the transition game. Who knows how much the concussion hurt him, but even before that he wasn't playing particularly great.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He needs more playing time and not to be put on the fourth line with 12 minutes per game, not a wake up call. His downturn in form correlates with the demotion that was undeserved. Why am I surprised the guy who makes a note of every time Vesey gets a point is the first to criticize Buchnevich? That contest is long over. It was a fake contest to begin with, although you insisted otherwise.

It seems like this happens every few months. He has a few bad games, might not even be the only one who does that, but AV automatically demotes him, and then he struggles because of it, not fake two or three game "struggles" that every player has. AV doesn't seem to realize those shouldn't be a reason for demotion. Or maybe he does, and different players get different treatment. I think its likely the latter. And then he gets better line mates, some more ice time, and magically he's playing better. What could've happened? The lazy Russian put in more effort? This team is really bad, and people are worrying about Buchnevich?

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He needs more playing time and not to be put on the fourth line with 12 minutes per game, not a wake up call. His downturn in form correlates with the demotion that was undeserved. Why am I surprised the guy who makes a note of every time Vesey gets a point is the first to criticize Buchnevich? That contest is long over. It was a fake contest to begin with, although you insisted otherwise.

It seems like this happens every few months. He has a few bad games, might not even be the only one who does that, but AV automatically demotes him, and then he struggles because of it, not fake two or three game "struggles" that every player has. AV doesn't seem to realize those shouldn't be a reason for demotion. Or maybe he does, and different players get different treatment. I think its likely the latter. And then he gets better line mates, some more ice time, and magically he's playing better. What could've happened? The lazy Russian put in more effort? This team is really bad, and people are worrying about Buchnevich?

Um...yes?

It's not like we are talking about a 29 year old, consistent 60 point scorer who had a down season where we don't really have to worry about. He looked like he took a few steps this season than looked like a 4th liner the last 2 months with absoultely brutal play. He is a skilled player, he should still be able to create chances no matter who he is with, he looked..LAZY.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Yes. People are worried about him. Because it's very worrisome to see a player with his level of talent mail it in for 2 months of a season no matter the situation.

I understand why you'd be playing the card where an unproductive/disengaged Buchnevich actually needs MORE ice team and better line mates to succeed. Its the only card you have. It also happens to be almost universally poor argument. A player with his talent should be scoring more than 1 goal in his last 27 games no matter where he's playing in the lineup. So how about, just this once, actually putting at least a little bit of blame on the player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Um...yes?

It's not like we are talking about a 29 year old, consistent 60 point scorer who had a down season where we don't really have to worry about. He looked like he took a few steps this season than looked like a 4th liner the last 2 months with absoultely brutal play. He is a skilled player, he should still be able to create chances no matter who he is with, he looked..LAZY.

Maybe because he was playing with fourth liners on the fourth line and getting fourth line minutes. :laugh:

The fourth line comment is also an exaggeration. He had 11 points in 24 games after he returned from a concussion. Thats good third line level in this league. Buchnevich didn't play in his spot the last 15 games. Only had 7 points in those 15 games. 10 points in the prior 15 games. Its very much line mates, line, ice time related. This same thing happened at the end of last season. Its really a non-issue that you are making into a big deal.

I love the lazy comment. If its someone from Manitoba, would that accusation be made?

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yes. People are worried about him. Because it's very worrisome to see a player with his level of talent mail it in for 2 months of a season no matter the situation.

I understand why you'd be playing the card where an unproductive/disengaged Buchnevich actually needs MORE ice team and better line mates to succeed. Its the only card you have. It also happens to be almost universally poor argument. A player with his talent should be scoring more than 1 goal in his last 27 games no matter where he's playing in the lineup. So how about, just this once, actually putting at least a little bit of blame on the player.

I'm baffled how someone could be a fan of this team, actually pay attention to the happenings of the team, and not think its mostly ice time, line mates, line related. I didn't say all, I said mostly. This has happened a few times now, and everytime its the same situation. Rinse, repeat. Its not a "card", its the facts. Maybe you should become aware of them, instead of being ignorant.

When Buchnevich started the season well, some people were claiming that it was mostly that he had improved so much and was giving good effort, things like that. I found that very disrespectful, as if everything that happened when he was struggling was because he wasn't playing well and he wasn't giving enough effort. It couldn't have been improper usage.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Maybe because he was playing with fourth liners on the fourth line and getting fourth line minutes. :laugh:

The fourth line comment is also an exaggeration. He had 11 points in 24 games after he returned from a concussion. Thats good third line level in this league. Buchnevich didn't play in his spot the last 15 games. Only had 7 points in those 15 games. 10 points in the prior 15 games. Its very much line mates, line, ice time related. This same thing happened at the end of last season. Its really a non-issue that you are making into a big deal.

I love the lazy comment. If its someone from Manitoba, would that accusation be made?

Buch plays PP with top players, where are the points there? Hmm?

yes LAZY. I don't care what nationality he is, it has nothing to do with that,why would you even bring that up?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'm baffled how someone could be a fan of this team, actually pay attention to the happenings of the team, and not think its mostly ice time, line mates, line related. I didn't say all, I said mostly. This has happened a few times now, and everytime its the same situation. Rinse, repeat. Its not a "card", its the facts. Maybe you should become aware of them, instead of being ignorant.

When Buchnevich started the season well, some people were claiming that it was mostly that he had improved so much and was giving good effort, things like that. I found that very disrespectful, as if everything that happened when he was struggling was because he wasn't playing well and he wasn't giving enough effort. It couldn't have been improper usage.

LoL, what are you his father?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't know if I'd blame his lack of production simply on whatever linemates he had. After he came back from his concussion--he stopped going into high traffic areas with any regularity. It's hard to get quality shots from perimeter areas....and it does happen to players that they are shy after a head injury. The thing is if you want to score in the NHL you have to attack the slot and go into the high traffic areas. Buch has a ton of skill but he needs to get stronger--needs to start imposing his will on games. If he doesn't do those things he's just going to be a good player---and maybe just a top 6 player.

In a way he reminds me of Rick Middleton. Middleton's first two seasons with the Rangers he showed a lot of promise but he also underwhelmed a bit. He got moved to the Bruins for Ken Hodge--arguably the worst trade the Rangers have made in my 40+ years of following this team. People remember Rick as a great Bruin but things didn't go all that well for him at first in Boston either. Don Cherry was his coach and Cherry nicknamed him 'the Stork' and it wasn't meant as any kind of compliment. Middleton had the bad habit of going out to cover his point man and lifting his leg (or moving to the side at the last moment) to let screened shots through because he didn't want to block them. That did get corrected. Like Middleton Buch has things to work on too and sometimes it's things you don't want to do but you need to do that will get you to reach your potential.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Buch plays PP with top players, where are the points there? Hmm?

yes LAZY. I don't care what nationality he is, it has nothing to do with that,why would you even bring that up?

Third liners play the PP, he produced at a third line level in those games. Whats your point? Your comment was wrong, and I stated how. I didn't say he was playing well in those games.

LoL, what are you his father?

I love this type of comment. It discredits the argument you are trying to make when you have to make points unrelated to the content of the discussion. It absolutely is disrespectful to blame a player for something that mostly isn't their fault, and then conclude that they had corrected something that they were doing wrong when they have success. It couldn't have been a usage problem.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Third liners play the PP, he produced at a third line level in those games. Whats your point? Your comment was wrong, and I stated how. I didn't say he was playing well in those games.

I love this type of comment. It discredits the argument you are trying to make when you have to make points unrelated to the content of the discussion. It absolutely is disrespectful to blame a player for something that mostly isn't their fault, and then conclude that they had corrected something that they were doing wrong when they have success. It couldn't have been a usage problem.
No,you just can NEVER blame Buch. Its ALWAYS someone elses fault. He is secretly an elite player but being held back by everyone huh? It's comical at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad