Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Another solid game by Buch. What made me really happy was him entering the zone, 1-on-3, and instead of dumping the puck, he turned and was looking for a teammate.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Good article. Thanks for sharing! He'll definitely see more progress on the ice as he becomes more and more proficient with English. He seems like he's making a lot of progress already, and it's visible on the ice each night.

More English proficiency -> better ability to communicate with teammates on the ice on the fly -> more confidence to use his superb vision and IQ

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Another solid game by Buch. What made me really happy was him entering the zone, 1-on-3, and instead of dumping the puck, he turned and was looking for a teammate.

Read a player article on this, don't remember who it was. Apparently he said that's the biggest transition coming from Russia. Apparently it's a big no no in Russia to dump and chase. Remember the player saying he kept looking back at the coach waiting for him to yell at players for dumping the puck in.

Edit: think it was Kuznetsov

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Read a player article on this, don't remember who it was. Apparently he said that's the biggest transition coming from Russia. Apparently it's a big no no in Russia to dump and chase. Remember the player saying he kept looking back at the coach waiting for him to yell at players for dumping the puck in.

Edit: think it was Kuznetsov

I remember reading that too. It was either Kuznetsov or Kucherov.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Take guesses, negative or positive? Why do I even waste my time looking for these articles? They are all the same. Its not like he's been good at hockey for years. He picked up the game in August. :sarcasm:

https://www.championat.com/hockey/a...-stanovitsja-liderom-nju-jork-rejndzhers.html

I thought you don't read Russian. Did you borrow Buch's Google Translate idea? :laugh:

For anyone that cares it said "In NY rises the unexpected star". I didn't read beyond that. It's not that negative but I guess you can argue it's not unexpected.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought you don't read Russian. Did you borrow Buch's Google Translate idea? :laugh:

For anyone that cares it said "In NY rises the unexpected star". I didn't read beyond that. It's not that negative but I guess you can argue it's not unexpected.

Yeah, google translate.

I just don't like how they act like its so unexpected. Its not. They referenced his time with SKA, he didn't play that poorly, just wasn't getting much ice time. Did they bother to watch him play or just looked at his stats? In that article, they also made it seem like he's very high maintenance. They used a quote from a few years ago where a coach called a few other players high maintenance as well.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
PB is a good prospect but I would not look at him as a poor mans Malkin. His skating stance sometimes reminds me of Tomas Sandstrom. Too soon for me to say he is like any other player in style yet. As a rookie he is still finding out what his NHL game style will be.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
PB is a good prospect but I would not look at him as a poor mans Malkin. His skating stance sometimes reminds me of Tomas Sandstrom. Too soon for me to say he is like any other player in style yet. As a rookie he is still finding out what his NHL game style will be.

Malkin is russian..PB is russian....therefor he is poor man Malkin.

:sarcasm:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Poor man's Malkin might be best comparison.

But we'll see where we're at by the end of the season.

Very poor, so far. Comparing him to Malkin in any way other than they are both Russian is a stretch, as of this moment in time.

Buch might become great. Some don't realize that he might not. We won't know for sure for up to another 3 seasons.

If there is one thing I haven't seen from him yet, it's the drive and ability of Malkin to impose his will. Hopefully that will come, but Malkin had that in his first NHL game.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Very poor, so far. Comparing him to Malkin in any way other than they are both Russian is a stretch, as of this moment in time.

Buch might become great. Some don't realize that he might not. We won't know for sure for up to another 3 seasons.

If there is one thing I haven't seen from him yet, it's the drive and ability of Malkin to impose his will. Hopefully that will come, but Malkin had that in his first NHL game.

Eh, probably will never see that. Buch is much more sneaky and unpredictable, as opposed to Malkin being more assertive and willing to force plays upon the opposition.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York

That's something I've hoping to see out of him too, but it might be too much to ask for considering he's never really been that kind of player thus far into his career. Hate to say it but he's definitely opportunistic. Maybe not as much as Duclair was, but he is rarely trying to drive the play.

Still, for a 3rd round pick he's coming along exceptionally well. It's just not realistic to have expected him to maintain that silly scoring pace he was on. Kuznetsov, who is probably the better player, only put up 37 points in his first season. Just need to be patient and let him find his way - whatever that may be.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
2 less 5v5 points than Vesey in 300 less minutes.
6 less all situations points than Vesey in 400 less minutes.

One of these guys is a top-6 player. The other one is buried on the fourth line.

Okay.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
2 less 5v5 points than Vesey in 300 less minutes.
6 less all situations points than Vesey in 400 less minutes.

One of these guys is a top-6 player. The other one is buried on the fourth line.

Okay.

PB and Vesey both have top 9 offensive skill sets.

Fast is more suited to be on the 4th line based on skill sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad