Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
2 less 5v5 points than Vesey in 300 less minutes.
6 less all situations points than Vesey in 400 less minutes.

One of these guys is a top-6 player. The other one is buried on the fourth line.

Okay.
Is there more to this decision other than strategy, like a nagging injury or something like that?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Is there more to this decision other than strategy, like a nagging injury or something like that?

No idea, but if Buch is injured or hurting, they should take him out of the lineup and put Pirri back in. Guy just spent what, two months out of the lineup? Can't have him go down again for 6 minutes of ice time a night.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Given what Butch just went through I am highly doubtful that the organization would allow him to play if there were ANY indications that there's something wrong with him health wise. This is simply AV's methods to avoiding complacency from a rookie, as Butch had a couple of meh outing that coincided with the Rangers not playing well (so AV went through line up shake up).

It's a long season, I wouldn't read too much into it. Vesey spent time on a forth line and now he's playing well in top 6. It's not like AV benched Butch to keep Glass in the lineup.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
2 less 5v5 points than Vesey in 300 less minutes.
6 less all situations points than Vesey in 400 less minutes.

One of these guys is a top-6 player. The other one is buried on the fourth line.

Okay.

Remember when the KBZ line started the season (as well as the pre-season) in a dominant fashion. Somehow, in all of the line permutations thrown out, we have yet to see that line reunited.

AV gonna AV.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Don't recall, but didn't the KZB line bleed goals against? It seemed like for every goal they scored, they didn't do well in preventing a goal against.

I know that line wasn't perfect, that's for sure.

Then again, it was early in the season, so not everyone was settled yet.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Don't recall, but didn't the KZB line bleed goals against? It seemed like for every goal they scored, they didn't do well in preventing a goal against.

I know that line wasn't perfect, that's for sure.

Then again, it was early in the season, so not everyone was settled yet.

It was a mix of bad defense and Hank really, really struggling. Mika's defensive game still has some warts, but it's an improvement over Brassard.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Brass was fine defensively with us IMO.

He was fine, but had a knack for being lax on the backcheck and missing his assignments.

Bad defense in terms of what, though?

Losing his man in coverage, not backchecking, standing around in the zone. He has done it very well at times, it's just a consistency issue. He's 23 and can easily improve in this area.

Edit: I should add that's about Mika. Buch has actually been much better defensively than I initially thought.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Mika definitely isn't an elite defensive player, but I think KZB would be a fine line defensively. Buch is actually pretty solid on the defensive side of the puck, and Kreider isn't bad by any means there either.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I remember them bleeding goals more than anything.

Look love Buchnevich but if he can't be relied upon defensively he's not going to play over Vesey and right now coach likes the lines.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
That pass was so nice

It was..........Bad and Buchy

I'm really sorry.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Very poor management by AV that he's played less than 10 three games in a row.

He's gotta be put back in the top 9. What did he even do to be taken out of it? Nothing.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
did anyone see the pass he made to stepan on that powerplay the kid can thread the needle. he should be playing higher up in the line up certainly above Vesey

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He should be playing higher in the lineup, but all 4 lines have been pretty good lately so I don't see any reason to **** around with the combos just yet. Once they inevitably go flat, he should be reunited with Kreider and Zib.

Staal and G getting top 4 minutes are much bigger issues.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
did anyone see the pass he made to stepan on that powerplay the kid can thread the needle. he should be playing higher up in the line up certainly above Vesey

I've been saying this since he came back from injury. I honestly do not understand what Vesey has done to warrant a spot in the top 6. Personally, I would have sent him to Hartford once Hayes and Fast were back. Give him some time to get back into his groove. Easier opposition, lower expectations, not as much pressure.

Buchnevich is ready for hockey in the NHL, Vesey needs to work on his game. It is not a knock on Vesey. It happens to a lot of rookies. I just feel fans and management have the wrong expectations from Vesey, following a summer of extreme hype by the media.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Darn, a lot of posts in this thread.

Anyway, I think Buch has been great for us and he has definitely exceeded by short term expectations. But I have no problem with AVs use of him. He is still filling out, it's a long season. We have depth, why not use it? Let Vesey and Buch take a few turns getting more minutes. And it's not like our 4th is sitting that much, we play many games. The minutes will pile up.

Both Miller and Fast has also been used less for stretches. Will keep these guys fresh for the POs. We need that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad