Confirmed with Link: Pavel Buchnevich has agreed to terms on a four-year contract

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
nice, saw some analysis suggesting he earned $6.2 and was hoping army would get him at a slight discount, good deal

Mar 6, 2012
I figured the only reason he was available at all (and came to us so cheap) was because he was asking for some ridiculous contract amount, so this surprises and pleases me...

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
YOOOOOOOO!!!! Great Deal!!!! Especially if he can gel with Perron and RoR and continue to put up the numbers from the past two seasons.

Reactions: RORbacon

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Timing of the extension is somewhat important. One less piece of the puzzle to figure out this offseason, giving Armstrong more clarity heading in to free agency when all the UFAs are technically still "unsigned".

Reactions: RORbacon

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I really don’t like that it’s only four years. I was hoping for 6 even with a slightly higher cap hit.
We all would have liked to see another year or two. But for a second and Blais? I can't complain much. Seems like a massive underpayment with 4 years remaining on his deal if you look at it that way.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
We all would have liked to see another year or two. But for a second and Blais? I can't complain much. Seems like a massive underpayment with 4 years remaining on his deal if you look at it that way.
The price to acquire him is irrelevant to how long I wanted him to stay.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
The Army special. Give very little term to an RFA to lower the cap hit but walk him to a young free agency. Same thing with Shattenkirk, Parayko and Schwartz. I always hate it. I'd rather have the term at a slightly high cap hit. Still for the acquisition price, if this is what it took to get it done, it was worth the cost. 4 years of Buchnevich is worth Blais and a 2nd. He should be worth that or more as a rental in his last year as well, so we can recoup assets then if needed.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I would have went 7 yrs 42 mill quite easily. Maybe Buch thought he’d cash in more after 4 yrs

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Well I like the trade a whole hell of a lot more than the signing. Not as surprising NYR got rid of him now. 5.8? He had 1 outstanding year and I hope it continues. The term doesn't benefit us either. Either sign him cheap for 2 years or if you're giving him 5 mil plus, it should be for longer than 4 years. He'll be 30 and if things go well (hope they do) he'll be gone in 4 years.

I mean Garland just got 4.9 from Vancouver.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Well I like the trade a whole hell of a lot more than the signing. Not as surprising NYR got rid of him now. 5.8? He had 1 outstanding year and I hope it continues. The term doesn't benefit us either. Either sign him cheap for 2 years or if you're giving him 5 mil plus, it should be for longer than 4 years. He'll be 30 and if things go well (hope they do) he'll be gone in 4 years.

I am very envious of that Garland extension.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
The Army special. Give very little term to an RFA to lower the cap hit but walk him to a young free agency. Same thing with Shattenkirk, Parayko and Schwartz. I always hate it. I'd rather have the term at a slightly high cap hit. Still for the acquisition price, if this is what it took to get it done, it was worth the cost. 4 years of Buchnevich is worth Blais and a 2nd. He should be worth that or more as a rental in his last year as well, so we can recoup assets then if needed.

Exactly this! Wish we would lock core pieces up long term instead of letting them walk to UFA as soon as possible. Still love the trade but somewhat dissapointed in not signing him to six years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Liut
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

We’re talking about a player who for his career scores at a 53 points per 82 games played rate. And over the last two years it’s right at about 65. That’s in addition to being very good on the PK, and a quality defensive toward. 5.8 million is absolutely in the ballpark for a player of his caliber.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL

If you're able to cram an extra talent into the lineup because you squeezed all of your RFA on dollars in lieu of term, you give yourself a very good shot at icing a team dangerous enough to make noise in the playoffs. Ultimately you're going to likely lose some guys that you'd prefer to have kept around (on another bargain contract), but it's better than overpaying guys and not having enough talent to get the entire team over the hump (like the Leafs, Sharks and Knights).

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Love the trade and signing, takes us through our remaining window with this core. Brilliant DA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad