Speculation: Paul Stastny

BacklundtoBartschi*

Wow, looks like the Rumors about Flames fans overrating there own players a tonne are true...

Backlund isn't close to Stastny, and he doesn't even have the potential to be a Stastny type of player. He wont be as good Offensively or Defensively.

Give your heads a shake(Except for Stajan who obviously understands that while Backlund is a nice player, he's no where near Stastny).

Why do you come here spewing this nonsense?

All Flame fans have noted that Stastny is better than Backlund?

For your last statement, that's impossible to tell. In 2 or 3 years they could possibly be on the same level. In 5 years Backlund could be better. You have no idea to make such a definite statement.

BacklundtoBartschi*

I remember Backlund getting a lot of hype within the Flames fanbase, but not so much outside when he was drafted.. IIRC, people expected him to be a solid 45-55pt 2nd line centre with good defensive awareness, not a true 1st line centre like some here are saying.

People will say otherwise to help them validate an argument.

BacklundtoBartschi*

1) They why did you bring it up? Funny it's pertinent when you are trying to prove a point but suddenly irrelevant when you'd made to look bad.

2) You shouldn't call Anglesmith nobody, he is a someone. Someone who claimed Backlund would be better than Stastny.

3) Yes, and he will continue to be.

4) No he isn't. Fans thought he would be a legitimate 1st line player.He is not, nor will he ever be.

1) I didn't want to argue and felt it was irrelevant to this discussion? Do you not understand?

2) Don't take his post out of context, he said over the course of their careers, Backlund could be better, he never said Backlund was superior as of now.

3) Do you realize how narrow minded you sound when you say things like this? You can say you expect Stastny to be better, but you cannot be so pretentious as to view your word as a fact.

4) God you'll say whatever it takes to prove yourself correct. Some fans also thought Rob Schremp was going to be a superstar. It's not very wise to generalize a fan base off of the opinion if few. :laugh:

JulianHopper*

Perhaps No...

Surprisingly, Paul Stastny doesn't have a great playoff history, only 22 games played.

His current contract or his last was $6.6M and I wouldn't sign him for that much, especially for a longer term.

If the Flames do decide to sign Stastny then it will be for 3 years max and I don't see how that would be good for either party and definitely not at $6M per season.

Hard for me to believe the Flames are interested here so I have to say no.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
1) I didn't want to argue and felt it was irrelevant to this discussion? Do you not understand?

2) Don't take his post out of context, he said over the course of their careers, Backlund could be better, he never said Backlund was superior as of now.

3) Do you realize how narrow minded you sound when you say things like this? You can say you expect Stastny to be better, but you cannot be so pretentious as to view your word as a fact.

4) God you'll say whatever it takes to prove yourself correct. Some fans also thought Rob Schremp was going to be a superstar. It's not very wise to generalize a fan base off of the opinion if few. :laugh:

1) Oh, I understand completely.

2) I never took anything out of context. He said he thinks Backlund will be better. It's a pretty straightforward statement.

3) I don't care if I sound narrow minded. I believe that I am 100% correct in this matter. I have zero doubts about this, thus to me, it would be a fact.

4) Use the search feature and find old Backlund threads. In one thread from 2011 these are the first 3 replies by Flames fans. Like it or not, more than a few fans overhyped Backlund, he was a ray of light in dark days so people overhyped him, the same happened with alot of prospects in that time period.

Our future #1 centre unless someone manages to **** up his development by putting him on grinder lines and then eventually trading him which won't surprise me.

Oh totally that. Backlund has been really solid and I was shocked to see his defensive responsibility. He is great in both ends of the rink and is creative, especially with Borque. I think he has anchored a position full time. If not and Sutter signs a 40 year old UFA instead :pullhair: which is the norm here.
this one ^^^ was the reply to the one above that

This kid could go head to head with whoever Edmonton gets for the Calder next year, if Sutter lets him in the top 6

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
this one ^^^ was the reply to the one above that

You know, that post from I Hate Chris Butler wasn't wrong. He became our first line centre last year, as well as an assistant captain for a stint. And there's not really any reason for him to regress that I can see. Points aside, he's a very heavily positive possession guy, meaning that he's usually better than the other team's players when he's on the ice.

Anyway, regarding Stastny, I really have a feeling that he'll disappoint whomever signs him. Not quite on the level of Clarkson or Leino, mind you, but I don't think he can do more than, say, Mike Cammalleri can for a team.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You know, that post from I Hate Chris Butler wasn't wrong. He became our first line centre last year, as well as an assistant captain for a stint. And there's not really any reason for him to regress that I can see. Points aside, he's a very heavily positive possession guy, meaning that he's usually better than the other team's players when he's on the ice.

Anyway, regarding Stastny, I really have a feeling that he'll disappoint whomever signs him. Not quite on the level of Clarkson or Leino, mind you, but I don't think he can do more than, say, Mike Cammalleri can for a team.
I disagree because Stastny is a phenomenal two-way player and I feel he get severely underrated because he didn't pan out to be the point per game player he looked like he might be at one point in time.

And no IHB wasn't technically wrong. But we all know being the default 1st line centre for a portion of the season on one of the worst teams in the league was not what was meant :laugh:

I also know Backlund was overhyped because I was guilty of it too. But right now he is a 25 year old 3rd line centre, who is just know showing 2nd line potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad