Speculation: Paul Stastny

TechronSadosa

Playoffs? Playoffs?
May 15, 2012
Calgary, AB
Now I am very sure that we have little to no chance on signing this guy, but we could offer him a huge contract, max 7 years at about 7.5 million. Anybody think that would work on getting him here. Personally I think he is perfect our system, but again I doubt he would want to come here and most likely would prefer a contender.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I don't think he's the right for us.

1) We resigned Stajan
2) By the 4th/5th year, we're going to want to trade him because he's too old and not playing as well as we wanted him to.

TechronSadosa

Playoffs? Playoffs?
May 15, 2012
Calgary, AB
In seven years though he will be 35, I don't see that as being hinderance, it would be nice to have a scoring two way centre of his calibre to see us through the rebuild. Again I don't see him choosing a basement team like us at the moment, so this is irrelevant. Just wanted to see what other Flames fans thought of acquiring someone like him. Personally I think we are going to make moves for positional depth if anything, but we do need to make the cap floor.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Huge pass for me, we already have Monahan, Backlund, Stajan and more than likely one of Reinhart, Bennett or Draisaitl from this year, no reason to throw big, long term money at a FA center.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Assuming the Flames somehow convince Stastny to sign here... Who's the odd man out? Backlund? Stajan? Monahan? None of those guys are 4th line centres, although I suppose you could put Backlund on the wing.

If the Flames do go after Stastny, I'd like them to get a prolific RW (or two) as well.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This really annoys me on HF: in 7 years he'll be X. Yes. That's true; but for the next 7 years he'll be younger and we don't know how his play will be altered if at all. It seems on this forum that we only need 18-23 year old players... Because once someone is 30; they're useless.

7 years is more than 30% of some of the posters here's life. That is a LONG time.

Paul should be a target this FA; Flames have money, and should use it on good assets rather than rubbish. Stastny will shield the younger talent and really makes guys like Stajan expendable.

TechronSadosa

Playoffs? Playoffs?
May 15, 2012
Calgary, AB
I am unsure if that comment about saying what age he will be at when he finishes his contract was directed at me, as my post states, I don't think that's really a downfall as he will be 35 and not like 42. I think it's a perfect time to get him on one of these contracts. Yes we have Backlund, Stajan and Monahan but really we cant we can have all four centres fighting for their place in the line up and then send our new draft pick to the minors for the purpose of developing properly. As Treliving said the route to the big club is through the minors.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Whoever we draft, unless it's Ekblad should definitely be in juniors again next season.

Draisaitl has already played versus NHL caliber in the World Championship this summer, and I imagine Reinhart could more then handle his own. Bennett may need another season.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Whoever we draft, unless it's Ekblad should definitely be in juniors again next season.

Whomever we draft should get the same chance to make the team as anyone else. Same as Monahan last year.

But regardless, I think that Taranis was talking about the future.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
If a team that's best center is Backlund doesn't at least attempt to sign Stastny then we aren't really trying to get better :laugh:.

I think he would fit the system well but I don't see Burke being okay with 6+ year contracts as he wasn't okay with them in TO. I doubt he comes here, he but he would be a very solid player.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
He's not really needed. And with Stajan having recently re-signed it's pretty unlikely he gets dealt anywhere.

But Treliving did say he wanted to improve the centre depth and defensemen so it's likely he'll at least inquire about Stastny.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I guess it doesn't hurt to throw out an offer. I would rather offer him money than term though. I like Stastny, I would probably give 8m x 4-5 years. That won't be the best offer for him though.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He's not really needed. And with Stajan having recently re-signed it's pretty unlikely he gets dealt anywhere.

But Treliving did say he wanted to improve the centre depth and defensemen so it's likely he'll at least inquire about Stastny.

Backlund can play wing, I'm not sure how an upgrade at center isn't needed, it just isn't as pressing as other positions.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012

He is needed. He makes our team better now, and in the future.

Why does no one want the Flames to get better?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Stastny isn't viewed as a top centre, that's why. We (at least I) think that Monahan and Backlund are going to become better than Stastny, and if we're right, then he doesn't make us better in the future, and he makes our cap situation worse.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Stastny isn't viewed as a top centre, that's why. We (at least I) think that Monahan and Backlund are going to become better than Stastny, and if we're right, then he doesn't make us better in the future, and he makes our cap situation worse.

Really?

Unless Calgary starts throwing around huge contracts every year to FA's, and our young RFA's play out of this world, the last thing we need to worry about is our cap. There is no indication the cap will ever decrease.

I never even suggested term or contract. I simply said He makes us better now and later. If Cammy doesn't re-sign, how do we reach the floor, and what forward is currently better than Stats? Point wise, size wise and position wise?

I don't know, I don't care if he signs he will be too pricey IMO.

But the philosophy on the direction of this rebuild puzzles me on this board.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Really?

Unless Calgary starts throwing around huge contracts every year to FA's, and our young RFA's play out of this world, the last thing we need to worry about is our cap. There is no indication the cap will ever decrease.

I never even suggested term or contract. I simply said He makes us better now and later. If Cammy doesn't re-sign, how do we reach the floor, and what forward is currently better than Stats? Point wise, size wise and position wise?

I don't know, I don't care if he signs he will be too pricey IMO.

But the philosophy on the direction of this rebuild puzzles me on this board.

From what I can understand, the direction of the rebuild and the model that people want to follow are that if you want to set yourself up as a champion, you have to develop a nucleus of young guys, then add veterans to that nucleus. The main concern with signing Stastny, for me at least, would be hindering the opportunity for that development from the centres we already have in the system. And I'm not talking about raw rookies who I want to hand spots to and allow them to get killed. We already have guys ready for the responsibility.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Backlund can play wing, I'm not sure how an upgrade at center isn't needed, it just isn't as pressing as other positions.

Just to be clear, I didn't say that an upgrade at centre wasn't necessary, just that Stastny was. And simply because it'll complicate things too much. In an ideal world the Flames could sign him for 1-3 years at whatever cap hit so he could act as a stopgap until the prospects are ready.

In reality, Stastny's unlikely to sign for anything less than 6 or 7 years with a cap hit north of 7M. And while the cap doesn't matter now, it will by the 3rd or 4th year of that contract, at least if the rebuild is where it should be.

Moreover, as Anglesmith elucidated, Stastny isn't really an ideal top line centre. Even ignoring Backlund and Stajan for a moment, within a few years, again assuming the prospects pan out and the Flames draft a centre this year, Stastny will once again find himself as a third line centre overpaid for his role.

Bringing back Backlund and Stajan into the equation, and assuming the Flames draft a centre who's good enough to make the league as soon as next season, it'll leave the organization with 5 (6 if you Byron) NHL centres. Move one or two of them to the wing? Okay, but then where do Baertschi, Gaudreau, Granlund or Reinhart fit in? Suddenly there's no room (factoring in unsigned RFA's in Bouma and Colborne coming back and Wolf being on the roster) for any upcoming prospect that wasn't a lottery pick.

And I do think as well that there's a very good chance both Monahan and the centre they pick this year (assuming they do) will end up being better than Stastny. I believe Backlund could at the very least end up being as good as him one day too.

The goal of a rebuild isn't build a playoff contending team; it's too build a cup contending team.

Stastny's the type of player a team acquiries when they already have a core in place and only need one or two final pieces to put them over the top. In the same vein as a Hossa or Carter.

If Cammy doesn't re-sign, how do we reach the floor, and what forward is currently better than Stats?

Literally five seconds on capgeek would tell you reaching the floor isn't a problem whatsoever. The Flames need to spend 12-14M on 8 players (for a 22 man roster); easily doable, especially when you consider they'll be spending a bit on a #4 or #5. defensemen and a backup/1A starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad