Confirmed with Link: Paul McFarland hired as Kingston (OHL) Head Coach. Will depart Leafs after Season (Upd: and new GM)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I believe that’s the MacLean he’s referring to.

AJ has been Keefe’s right hand man since the Soo.

It’s been a forgone conclusion that he’d be with Keefe next year.

Well if MacFarland decided to stay on as Assistant Coach, MacLean would not have been with Keefe next year, so I do not know what you mean by "forgone conclusion". Just like Andrew Brewer did not leave as soon as Babcock left, even though he was brought along with him from Detroit and Team Canada.

There is absolutely not evidence of the Leafs forcing MacFarland out, and evidence that he chose to leave on his own.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I mean, they brought in Hakstol last off-season. So I wouldn’t rule it out based on that.

Boudreau is on another level though. He has been coaching for a lot longer. Hakstol was an NHL head coach for like 4 years, and never coach pro before that. Boudreau has been an NHL coach for like 15+ years now, and coached pro for another like 10 years before that.

Plus if players are starting to tune out a second coach, especially one who is probably the absolute best fit they are ever going to find in the NHL, they are entitled children who need to grow up and learn how to be professional. Tuning out Babcock is one thing, considering he is an absolute dick that most players would probably (or do) hate, but tuning out Keefe is another. They won't win squat with that kind of behaviour, at least not anywhere where they are a key player.

TheBigFour

Apr 17, 2019
lol yeah i know boudreau is not coming here but if he did, that would be awesome .

really great coach IMO

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I don't think Boudreau would be seen as the next coach in waiting. Keefe is clearly Dubas' guy, if Keefe is being tossed than there's probably a new GM making that call.

Boudreau is obviously a passionate Leafs fan. Why not come here for a year or two, get paid way more than any assistant (I bet we'd be in the same ballpark as what he made as HC for the Wild) and wait for the perfect opportunity to be a head coach again somewhere else when it opens up? Obviously this is only if he doesn't see a good fit out there right now, but I could see us being an attractive stopgap for him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Well if MacFarland decided to stay on as Assistant Coach, MacLean would not have been with Keefe next year, so I do not know what you mean by "forgone conclusion". Just like Andrew Brewer did not leave as soon as Babcock left, even though he was brought along with him from Detroit and Team Canada.

There is absolutely not evidence of the Leafs forcing MacFarland out, and evidence that he chose to leave on his own.

Last year they told Jim Hiller to look for other opportunities, and didn’t outright let him go. w It’s very possible McFarland, and maybe even Hakstol and Brewer were told the same.

But there’s countless examples of coaches bringing in their own staff in the off-season following taking over in season.

Brewer was never going to up and quit after Babcock got fired. That’s not how it works.

Whether he’ll be here next season remains a whole different question.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Boudreau is on another level though. He has been coaching for a lot longer. Hakstol was an NHL head coach for like 4 years, and never coach pro before that. Boudreau has been an NHL coach for like 15+ years now, and coached pro for another like 10 years before that.

Plus if players are starting to tune out a second coach, especially one who is probably the absolute best fit they are ever going to find in the NHL, they are entitled children who need to grow up and learn how to be professional. Tuning out Babcock is one thing, considering he is an absolute dick that most players would probably (or do) hate, but tuning out Keefe is another. They won't win squat with that kind of behaviour, at least not anywhere where they are a key player.

I’d argue the people that don’t like Dubas and Keefe will be calling for them both to be fired no matter who the assistants are.

If Keefe sees Boudreau as a fit on his staff, and BB is willing to come in, there’s really no reason not to.

Look at the Flyers. They have two former HC’s beside AV. That doesn’t change anything with AV’s status

Reactions: stickty111

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
It's like when a CEO gets canned. They release a statement saying they wanted to spend more time with their family.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I mean, they brought in Hakstol last off-season. So I wouldn’t rule it out based on that.
He doesn't have nearly the name appeal of Boudreau, most fans would never have heard of him. Babcock was the Coach at the time, he would have brought him in and wouldn't be concerned he would be his successor.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
He doesn't have nearly the name appeal of Boudreau, most fans would never have heard of him. Babcock was the Coach at the time, he would have brought him in and wouldn't be concerned he would be his successor.
I hope we've finally past the stage of managing the team based on fan sentiment.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I assume Hakstol will be gone at some point too.

Not sure if it's realistic but I would love to see Bruce Boudreau brought in.
Hakstol not my fav defense coach but he was hired by Dubie. MacFarland was a Babs hire. So really nothing surprising here.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Given Babcock was fired, and fan sentiment was that he should be fired last summer, and that Dubas reportedly wanted to fire him, I’m not sure that’s true.

And as I said, the people who want Keefe (and Dubas) fired, will want them fired no matter who the Assistant Coach is.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Given Babcock was fired, and fan sentiment was that he should be fired last summer, and that Dubas reportedly wanted to fire him, I’m not sure that’s true.

And as I said, the people who want Keefe (and Dubas) fired, will want them fired no matter who the Assistant Coach is.
:laugh: ok

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Bruce+Boudreau.gif
Lol I don’t think keefe would be happy making less than his assistant ha. Never know but i doubt it could be anything but a pipedream

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm not in the room and I don't even know how much autonomy somebody like McFarland actually had so i find it hard to judge his job performance over his year in the job if I'm honest

I hope he's successful in his new job and looks on his time here fondly in his future endeavors, best of luck

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Assume he meant Paul, AJ's dad who coached the Sens.

Not a chance they bring in a guy who will be looked at as the next Coach. First sign of trouble and everyone will be looking for Boudreau to take over.
It's never good form to have the new coach on the bench with the old coach, even if you win the Stanley Cup.

Just ask the guy on Long Island about that.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It's never good form to have the new coach on the bench with the old coach, even if you win the Stanley Cup.

Just ask the guy on Long Island about that.
Sorry, I don't get the reference.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Not sure what’s funny.

There’s people who already want Keefe and Dubas fired. Who the assistant coach is, is irrelevant to that. We could fire Keefe and hire Boudreau regardless if he’s on our bench or not.

If Keefe saw Bruce as a fit, and Bruce was interested, then it should happen.

I don’t see what the argument against that is :laugh:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I thought he would be better but he was awful, so not a huge loss. Keefe might bring in MaClean, or maybe an outside hire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad