Value of: Paul Martin

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017
Paul Martin is pretty much worthless on the trade market until he can get on the ice and prove that he's healthy again. The Joakim Ryan stuff doesn't fully explain Paul Martin's continued absence from the lineup. There was plenty of time there where they didn't care too much about Ryan including a scratch here and there. The fact is that Martin is either not healthy enough or is healthy and not capable enough anymore to warrant a spot in the lineup.

I don't anticipate us getting much for him in a deal. Maybe 4th or 5th round pick. I have a feeling the organization knows something we don't as far as where his game is at. Good news is that Wilson has gotten good value for over the hill players in the past (Murray, Clowe, Stuart). My guess is that Wilson is working to send him to an eastern contender and will run deals by him despite his NTC only being 6 teams I believe.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't anticipate us getting much for him in a deal. Maybe 4th or 5th round pick. I have a feeling the organization knows something we don't as far as where his game is at. Good news is that Wilson has gotten good value for over the hill players in the past (Murray, Clowe, Stuart). My guess is that Wilson is working to send him to an eastern contender and will run deals by him despite his NTC only being 6 teams I believe.

All those examples were playing at the time they were dealt. Until Martin does the same, it's going to be very difficult to move him.

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017
All those examples were playing at the time they were dealt. Until Martin does the same, it's going to be very difficult to move him.

That is true, but all were playing poorly in my opinion at the time of the trades. I believe Clowe had zero goals that year at the time he was dealt (most likely due to the concussion issues he had). Stuart was a tire fire his final year here and Murray could not keep up with the speed anymore. Hopefully a few games with the Cuda can convince teams he can play still.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
For people questioning his health, quote from Kevin Kurz, saying what I said earlier about Martin being healthy.

"Martin has been healthy since the end of the Christmas break but has remained out of the lineup, as young blue-liners like Tim Heed, Joakim Ryan and Dylan DeMelo have all played well."

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
That is true, but all were playing poorly in my opinion at the time of the trades. I believe Clowe had zero goals that year at the time he was dealt (most likely due to the concussion issues he had). Stuart was a tire fire his final year here and Murray could not keep up with the speed anymore. Hopefully a few games with the Cuda can convince teams he can play still.
He isn't with the Barracuda anymore. His conditioning stint is over.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
For people questioning his health, quote from Kevin Kurz, saying what I said earlier about Martin being healthy.

"Martin has been healthy since the end of the Christmas break but has remained out of the lineup, as young blue-liners like Tim Heed, Joakim Ryan and Dylan DeMelo have all played well."

Except I don't buy that for a second. If he was healthy, he'd be playing at some point since then. He had his one shot and was awful. It may just be that Martin isn't going to be the same player he was after his injury.

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017
He isn't with the Barracuda anymore. His conditioning stint is over.

I’m fully aware of that dude. I was suggesting that games with the Barracuda are a possibility if we put him on waivers and he’s not claimed.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Stephen Harper and a mid level backbencher. :sarcasm:

Seriously I thought Vegas would take a look at him at the expansion draft. Maybe they add him for some extra defensive depth as they look to make the playoffs.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Kimmo Timonen did not play a single game during the regular season in 14/15 and the Flyers still got a 2nd and a 3rd rounder for him.

Of course blood clots are not comparable to broken bones or torn cartilage or whatever might be wrong with Paul Martin's ankle. If he can be medically cleared to play, he should absolutely be tradeable. That's what the concept of conditional draft picks was made for.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Back to New Jersey who's nowhere near the cap. 36 year old Martin at a 4.85 cap hit has negative value. For those saying he can still play and has value. What is that actually based on? Look at the decline of guys like Seidenberg, Beauchemin who are right around the same age, got bought out and are now playing on 1 year deals for around 1M each.

Paul Martin: in real dollars owed 2.2 for this season + 4.25 next season

for

Eddie Lack: in real dollars still owed 1.5M for the rest of this season.

=4.95 for 1.5 seasons of Martin

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Would San Jose be interested in Greiss + for Martin (at full price) + Dell?

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Leafs will give you mcelhinney at the end of the season.

They can have Mcbackup now if they want him for PM straight up.

Perfectly fine running with Pickard behind Freddy for insurance.

Still think PM has some game left; just wondering if he is a top 4 guy or a bottom-pairing defender at this point.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
They can have Mcbackup now if they want him for PM straight up.

Perfectly fine running with Pickard behind Freddy for insurance.

Still think PM has some game left; just wondering if he is a top 4 guy or a bottom-pairing defender at this point.
If he's an NHL defender I'll take him. Better than having polak

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
If Martin has some game left wouldn't be surprised if Columbus makes a move for him if they trade JJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad