Value of: Paul Martin

The Great John Scott

#Trade4JohnScott
Aug 23, 2014
Expiring cap dump and a 5th?
Hard to gauge his value, I guess it depends who needs veteran leadership/steady defensive help for a playoff push.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Expiring cap dump and a 5th?
Hard to gauge his value, I guess it depends who needs veteran leadership/steady defensive help for a playoff push.

Martin can still play. I'd think it would be closer to two 2nds in value than a late pick and a dump.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
If the Sharks were willing to retain salary, Martin looks like a great acquisition. Veteran #4/5 defenseman for a playoff run and another year at 2.5/season?

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Wait a minute, didn't know he's been injured basically all year.
FWIW, it's been speculated that it was originally a small week to week kind of thing and then Ryan and Heed played so good that Martin "was still injured" for roster number purposes.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
FWIW, it's been speculated that it was originally a small week to week kind of thing and then Ryan and Heed played so good that Martin "was still injured" for roster number purposes.

if ryan and Heed were so good that Martin couldnt outplay them and get his job back, then he's not worth anything at all.
nice excuse though

Reactions: Brock Radunske

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
if ryan and Heed were so good that Martin couldnt outplay them and get his job back, then he's not worth anything at all.
nice excuse though
LOL yea, like I'm really going to lie to impress people to "sell" a player on the internet in an absolutely meaningless exchange of words, because that's all this is. I could convince you that Boedker is worth McDavid straight up and what good does that do me or the Sharks in real life?

Ryan is playing at a top 4 level as a rookie on an ELC, why would you not continue to give him ice time?

Heed brings an offensive dynamic to an otherwise offense deficienct blue line besides Burns.

Therefore, Martin is not needed in SJ. Pretty simple. Just because player A is just as good, younger, and cheaper than Player C and Player B fits our needs more doesn't mean Player C is "not worth anything at all."

Reactions: Dano85

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
LOL yea, like I'm really going to lie to impress people to "sell" a player on the internet in an absolutely meaningless exchange of words, because that's all this is. I could convince you that Boedker is worth McDavid straight up and what good does that do me or the Sharks in real life?

Ryan is playing at a top 4 level as a rookie on an ELC, why would you not continue to give him ice time?

Heed brings an offensive dynamic to an otherwise offense deficienct blue line besides Burns.

Therefore, Martin is not needed in SJ. Pretty simple. Just because player A is just as good, younger, and cheaper than Player C and Player B fits our needs more doesn't mean Player C is "not worth anything at all."

im not saying you did, im just saying if you had 8 defenders better than Paul Martin, you wouldnt presently be out of a playoff spot now would ya

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Bullshit. That might fly for a week or so... but we're now in mid January. Ryan is waiver exempt and isn't even playing 16 minutes a night. He's also not big and isn't producing. If Martin was capable of playing, Ryan would be in the minors the next day and Martin would be getting games in.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Bull****. That might fly for a week or so... but we're now in mid January. Ryan is waiver exempt and isn't even playing 16 minutes a night. He's also not big and isn't producing. If Martin was capable of playing, Ryan would be in the minors the next day and Martin would be getting games in.
definitely agree. Paul Martin, maybe old and lost a step or two, but he never was fast and was always one of the smartest defenders around. I find his assertions extremely hard to believe.

im not saying he's lying but id need something more credible to buy it at face value

juxtaposer are you around?

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Bull****. That might fly for a week or so... but we're now in mid January. Ryan is waiver exempt and isn't even playing 16 minutes a night. He's also not big and isn't producing. If Martin was capable of playing, Ryan would be in the minors the next day and Martin would be getting games in.
Call bullshit all you want. If you follow the sharks, you'd know they're not being honest about Martin's injuries. They're either trying to save cap space, showcase Demelo, Heed, and Ryan for a trade, or trying to buy time to move out a different Dman. But please continue to say that you know more as an outsider about the sharks than I do as an avid follower.

im not saying you did, im just saying if you had 8 defenders better than Paul Martin, you wouldnt presently be out of a playoff spot now would ya
We're three points out of second in the Pacific with three games in hand. Why don't you worry about trying to get a wild card spot instead of how SJ is doing.

I'm just saying what I've heard and it makes sense. Juxtaposer will tell you the same thing. It seems he was legitimately hurt for a while and lately he's been healthy, but Doug Wilson is trying to move a defenseman to make room. Martin has went on road trips with team in December and never suited up.

First, it was legitimately the ankle.
Then he got better and "had the flu," immediately followed by an undisclosed injury after a successful conditioning stint in the AHL. Sounds a bit fishy, doesn't it?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
definitely agree. Paul Martin, maybe old and lost a step or two, but he never was fast and was always one of the smartest defenders around. I find his assertions extremely hard to believe.

im not saying he's lying but id need something more credible to buy it at face value

juxtaposer are you around?

I’m here and I’m Joakim Ryan’s biggest fan, so this probably isn’t the argument you wanted to call me to. :laugh:

Joakim Ryan is the greatest. There’s a Vlasic type of brain in that tiny body. He’ll never be anything more than a good #4D because of his size and lack of dynamic offensive ability, but he’s incredible defensively and has been a brilliant partner for Burns. Paul Martin is a deserved healthy scratch for a reason and that reason is Joakim Ryan. If we had to get Martin into a game, I’d sooner scratch Dillon.

If we retained 50% on Martin I’d expect a contender to toss us a late 2nd or early 3rd.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I’m here and I’m Joakim Ryan’s biggest fan, so this probably isn’t the argument you wanted to call me to. :laugh:

Joakim Ryan is the greatest. There’s a Vlasic type of brain in that tiny body. He’ll never be anything more than a good #4D because of his size and lack of dynamic offensive ability, but he’s incredible defensively and has been a brilliant partner for Burns. Paul Martin is a deserved healthy scratch for a reason and that reason is Joakim Ryan. If we had to get Martin into a game, I’d sooner scratch Dillon.

If we retained 50% on Martin I’d expect a contender to toss us a late 2nd or early 3rd.

That's fine then I just wanted to hear it from someone I knew who had a bit more "street cred" as it were. No offense meant to rockyMTN.

Reactions: RockyMTNShark

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Call bull**** all you want. If you follow the sharks, you'd know they're not being honest about Martin's injuries. They're either trying to save cap space, showcase Demelo, Heed, and Ryan for a trade, or trying to buy time to move out a different Dman. But please continue to say that you know more as an outsider about the sharks than I do as an avid follower.

We're three points out of second in the Pacific with three games in hand. Why don't you worry about trying to get a wild card spot instead of how SJ is doing.

I'm just saying what I've heard and it makes sense. Juxtaposer will tell you the same thing. It seems he was legitimately hurt for a while and lately he's been healthy, but Doug Wilson is trying to move a defenseman to make room. Martin has went on road trips with team in December and never suited up.

First, it was legitimately the ankle.
Then he got better and "had the flu," immediately followed by an undisclosed injury after a successful conditioning stint in the AHL. Sounds a bit fishy, doesn't it?
Yeah to be honest that WAS exactly how it sounded. I know Paul Martin, being an isles fan all my adult life, he's tormented Us often. We were his personal rented mule, he played us like he owned us. Trust me I KNOW and that description just didnt fit the mental Picture I have of him, But as you say he Isnt a Young Man anymore. (In hockey terms I mean) but he played us like he had a special shirt with a big red S and a cape that he only wore when he played the islanders.

Last edited:

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah to be honest that WAS exactly how it sounded. I know Paul Martin, being an isles fan all my adult life, he's tormented Us often. We were his personal rented mule, he played us like he owned us. Trust me I KNOW and that description just didnt fit the mental Picture I have of him, But as you say he Isnt a Young Man anymore. (In hockey terms I mean) but he played us like he had a special shirt with a big red S and a cape that he only wore when he played the islanders.
You're right on your assessment. His game has never been to be physical or an extremely good skater. I think he can definitely still be effective somewhere because of that. Players just don't forget how to play. He may not be as agile as he once was, but that's not super important with the way he plays.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
You're right on your assessment. His game has never been to be physical or an extremely good skater. I think he can definitely still be effective somewhere because of that. Players just don't forget how to play. He may not be as agile as he once was, but that's not super important with the way he plays.

Your right, except against us he was physical and skated like gretzky and in the end he probably got the girl too. all I knew was that when we played him, we were in for a rough day

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Paul Martin is pretty much worthless on the trade market until he can get on the ice and prove that he's healthy again. The Joakim Ryan stuff doesn't fully explain Paul Martin's continued absence from the lineup. There was plenty of time there where they didn't care too much about Ryan including a scratch here and there. The fact is that Martin is either not healthy enough or is healthy and not capable enough anymore to warrant a spot in the lineup.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Paul Martin is pretty much worthless on the trade market until he can get on the ice and prove that he's healthy again. The Joakim Ryan stuff doesn't fully explain Paul Martin's continued absence from the lineup. There was plenty of time there where they didn't care too much about Ryan including a scratch here and there. The fact is that Martin is either not healthy enough or is healthy and not capable enough anymore to warrant a spot in the lineup.
PF just noticed you too are a government employee, wouldn't be treasury department by any chance? Would it? If so we may know each other

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad