Confirmed with Link: Paul Martin signs-4 year deal / AAV $4.85m

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
I like it. Assuming he doesn't have a NMC I like it more.

I think people forget it's up to the player if he WANTS to play for your team. Martin is +100 over his career for Pete's sake... you people.

Mach12

Feb 1, 2010
WTF is the love affair with Cody "tire fire" Franson and Mike Green - injury prone and not great defensively and eagerly thrown overboard by the Caps?

Sekera, sure. The others, ehhh.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Ross McKeon ‏@rossmckeon 1m1 minute ago

New @SanJoseSharks D Martin logged between 2-20 PIM last six years. Reinforces doesn't get caught out of pos, good w/stick, skates well

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
Would have preferred Green, Sekera or Franson over Martin but he's a solid addition nonetheless.

Four years is a bit much for a 34-year-old but I'll reserve judgment until I see the cap hit.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
David Pollak ‏@PollakOnSharks 8s9 seconds ago

#SJSharks GM Wilson always cautions teams get caught up too easily in FA frenzy. Will be interesting to see how Martin signing plays out.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I haven't watched Paul Martin enough recently, but first thing that sticks out is that we didn't want to extend Boyle because he was an aging defenseman, yet we give Paul Martin a contract that would make him 38 by the end of the contract?

Do you guys think that Paul Martin's game isn't declining in the same manner that Boyle's did/is?

Entirely different d-men. Martin is still very effective in his own end. All those mistakes people were *****ing about last year with Hannan, Irwin, Burns, etc...

He doesn't make those! No point in comparing his situation to Boyle's.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Really don't care about the contract. Nothing against Martin. (He's better than Dillon or Irwin imo) Just not happy with the defense fundamentally. It's just far too one-dimensional.

You can't win in the playoffs only using your forwards to score, and that's what we're planning on doing.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Entirely different d-men. Martin is still very effective in his own end. All those mistakes people were *****ing about last year with Hannan, Irwin, Burns, etc...

He doesn't make those! No point in comparing his situation to Boyle's.

In their defense, Stuart was still pretty good although declining before he came to the sharks and then fell off the cliff, and he was younger than Martin to boot at the time.

Rickety Cricket

Mar 8, 2006
Not Kent Huskins
Really don't care about the contract. Nothing again Martin. (He's better than Dillon or Irwin imo) Just not happy with the defense fundamentally. It's just far too one-dimensional.

You can't win in the playoffs only using your forwards to score, and that's what we're planning on doing.

Well, there still could be more changes.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Really don't care about the contract. Nothing against Martin. (He's better than Dillon or Irwin imo) Just not happy with the defense fundamentally. It's just far too one-dimensional.

Well, while Burns is the only real goal-scoring threat from the blueline, you have a couple of guys with great passing skills capable of 20+ points. I mean, Martin's issue has been his PP ability, and the Sharks have Burns for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad