Confirmed with Link: Paul Martin signs-4 year deal / AAV $4.85m

Eighth Fret

Jan 11, 2011
I agree with that, except if he does in fact have a clause then I'd be much less ok with it. Martin certainly doesn't make us worse right now, and I don't think we are going to win a cup this season anyway, I'm just worried next season, or the one after, when we might be really 'ready' we'll be hampered by his contract if his play declines.

We won't be any more "ready" in two or three years than we will be next year. And even if the stars align and we do find ourselves more ready by then, he can be buried or traded.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
We won't be any more "ready" in two or three years than we will be next year. And even if the stars align and we do find ourselves more ready by then, he can be buried or traded.

I disagree on that highly. In 2 to 3 years we will hopefully have Hertl entering his prime years, same with Nieto, and likely have Meier and Roy either already in the NHL or entering it. I think 2-3 years from now is our best bet to really load up.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I agree with that, except if he does in fact have a clause then I'd be much less ok with it. Martin certainly doesn't make us worse right now, and I don't think we are going to win a cup this season anyway, I'm just worried next season, or the one after, when we might be really 'ready' we'll be hampered by his contract if his play declines.

Still, I could be completely wrong, It's just how I feel about it. In general I'm still glad we improved the team substantially without spending significant assets to do so. I'm glad the Sharks feel like they can compete again and have reached critical mass (and I mostly agree to be honest, if we are not going to tank there really isn't much point in another mid round 1st). I'm not totally thrilled with DeBoer, but they definitely could have made a worse choice and at the very least we should be a top defensive team again.

Overall I'm happy with the off-season, I'm just not 100% happy with every individual decision.

I hear what you're saying but it's better to feel like the offseason is an improvement (slight or large) vs. last offseason which was stagnancy to worse.

Also, if you're glad we got Ward and Jones, then you're choice is Martin or nothing. Cap prohibited Green or Sekera and Franson is just fugly to me. I get that the advanced stats crowd loves him.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Two years from now is the most likely stars aligning year if Thornton and Marleau don't decline too far in their last contract year and if Nieto and Hertl break out by then. If both of those don't happen, then Sharks are kinda borked.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
David J. Barclay III ‏@DjamesIII 2h2 hours ago
Wilson says Martin turned down 4 higher offers from other clubs & chose #sjsharks

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
David J. Barclay III ‏@DjamesIII 2h2 hours ago
Wilson says Martin turned down 4 higher offers from other clubs & chose #sjsharks

Never would have doubted that. I'd be willing to bet that him and Ward had heard of or fielded offers from the Sharks before. They've been great fits for this team for years.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
It's weird that DW never plays the FA game that often when he usually gets whoever he wants. It doesn't hurt when a certain team down south does shady **** to get rid of a bad contract. I'd second guess signing there if I were a free agent.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Wilson doesnt get into UFA's because they get way too much money, this whole off season has been reasonable in the UFA market

cantskate

Sep 22, 2005
On the ice
In this case specifically? Nothing. He's not the ideal fit, and I would have rather waited to get the right player. Martin is fine, but he's not a game changer, and he doesn't solve any major issues. Our defense is fine defensively, he's just more defensive defense. That is valuable cap space I would have rather spent elsewhere.

Yes, if the term is too long and he wouldn't take it, then pass. I'd rather the Sharks start a rebuild than spend too much (term-wise) on an older vet.

Last edited:

cantskate

Sep 22, 2005
On the ice
We got 3 players between the draft and FA and got right up to the CAP. I don't see how it could have been played any better. Indications are Paul Martin doesn't have a clause and Ward has an NTC, so can be buried as a worst case scenario.

Goalie situation: Solved
Depth on D: Solved
Depth on F: Solved

Anybody can post the "ideal" solution. You're willing to waste another entire season because you didn't get your dream player(s)? It's hard to believe you're posting like you're playing NHL 15.

Posters like Spin, whom I respect, were begging to get Joel Ward. As far as I can tell most don't agree with your interpretation that we settled on any of these signings. The only consistent criticism has been term. Well, we're gonna have to disagree on nothing being the better decision.

I don't think we can say the goalie situation is solved. Jones has had overall numbers not any better than Niemi, and he was playing behind a better D. I hope he does well, but it's a little early to be proclaiming an upgrade. He also hasn't shown he can play #1.

As for Martin and Ward, none of us are arguing that these are bad players, and I think we all agree the signings make the Sharks better THIS YEAR. However, in both cases, I think these contracts will prove to be too long by at least a year if not 2.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I don't think we can say the goalie situation is solved. Jones has had overall numbers not any better than Niemi, and he was playing behind a better D. I hope he does well, but it's a little early to be proclaiming an upgrade. He also hasn't shown he can play #1.

We could have gotten Rinne, he could have gotten hit by a bus and our goalie situation might not be solved. For all intents and purposes our goalie situation is resolved until proven otherwise.

As for Martin and Ward, none of us are arguing that these are bad players, and I think we all agree the signings make the Sharks better THIS YEAR. However, in both cases, I think these contracts will prove to be too long by at least a year if not 2.

And I care about this why? 3 years is a long time from now with plenty of options and an increased CAP down the line.

I guess I shouldn't be amazed by all the complaints about DW finally doing something in FA. Damned if you do and all that...

Sometimes I'm surprised some of you leave the house with all the terrible things that could happen to you out there :sarcasm:

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY

Welcome to UFA signings! This is why DW supporters like myself haven't been *****ing about his lack of them. They are usually over-payments and longer term. Both of the deals he signed this year were very solid and only minor over-payments or elongated terms. He did a great job. You can't have it both ways, you either make UFA signings and overpay/yrs or you resist and don't get the necessary improvements for your team. Pick your position and then be consistent.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Wilson doesnt get into UFA's because they get way too much money, this whole off season has been reasonable in the UFA market

Absolutely agree. Maybe DW overpaid by 1M between the 2 players. Martin is probably valued around 4M presently and Ward around 3M. Overall very good and the terms aren't terribly long. Not like they're 7 years.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
In this case specifically? Nothing. He's not the ideal fit, and I would have rather waited to get the right player.

No, it's not waiting to get the right player, that's an easy cop-out option. It was term or nothing. Franson hasn't signed. Sekera wasn't going to sign to a deal that DW would give out. So at this point we'd have literally nothing.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
No, it's not waiting to get the right player, that's an easy cop-out option. It was term or nothing. Franson hasn't signed. Sekera wasn't going to sign to a deal that DW would give out. So at this point we'd have literally nothing.

No way to know if our offer was better and Sekera just did not want to come to SJ. Would not be the first time a player refused to come here.

Also, I really don't get all the *****ing and moaning about the Ward and Martin signings. They make the team better immediately and they should contribute really well for the atleast the next 2 years barring a drastic drop in their performance.

After 2 years Ward could be replaced by Doonskoi, Jevpalovs, Meier or Goldobin. Martin could be replaced on the middle-D pairing by Mueller, Roy or Bergman. These players are meant to be stop gaps. Not a long term solution. They are going to serve their role just right.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Sekera wants #1 minutes, he wouldn't get them in S.J. wouldn't get them in L.A. and possibly Colorado or Dallas either. In Edmonton he's the clear #1.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

At this point, yes. I'm not concerned about this season, I'm concerned about the long term success of the team. If that means I have to wait one more year to get the right guy instead of signing the wrong guy to a 4 year deal, then I'd wait. That's my opinion. I think this team will make the playoffs this year, I think its absolutely nowhere near cup caliber.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
At this point, yes. I'm not concerned about this season, I'm concerned about the long term success of the team. If that means I have to wait one more year to get the right guy instead of signing the wrong guy to a 4 year deal, then I'd wait. That's my opinion. I think this team will make the playoffs this year, I think its absolutely nowhere near cup caliber.

Cmon, lets not make it sound so horrendous. This team has the talent in place to be a contender. If you are making the playoffs then you are a contender for the Cup. Favorite? Ofcourse not. Quit over-dramatizing how bad this team is should it make the PO's.. This team firing on all cylinders is deadly.

Nowhere near??:help::shakehead

Top 6 pretty good
Bottom 6 pretty good
Top4D pretty good
3pairing lots of potential

G according to you Jones will be a stud, I agree on this. So......pretty good

bench not bad

how is this not a Cup caliber? What exactly IS your definition??

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Cmon, lets not make it sound so horrendous. This team has the talent in place to be a contender. If you are making the playoffs then you are a contender for the Cup. Favorite? Ofcourse not. Quit over-dramatizing how bad this team is should it make the PO's.. This team firing on all cylinders is deadly.

Nowhere near??:help::shakehead

Top 6 pretty good
Bottom 6 pretty good
Top4D pretty good
3pairing lots of potential

G according to you Jones will be a stud, I agree on this. So......pretty good

bench not bad

how is this not a Cup caliber? What exactly IS your definition??

I think the lack of elite talent in their prime is what making people think that we are not a contender. I think if Jones has a big year and turns out to be as good as DW (and most of us) expect him to be, we are definitely going to contend in the next 2 years.

We are fairly dangerous this year. A very well rounded team. Next year if one of Goldobin or Meier (or both) make the jump to the NHL, we are going to be pretty damn dangerous.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think the lack of elite talent in their prime is what making people think that we are not a contender. I think if Jones has a big year and turns out to be as good as DW (and most of us) expect him to be, we are definitely going to contend in the next 2 years.

We are fairly dangerous this year. A very well rounded team. Next year if one of Goldobin or Meier (or both) make the jump to the NHL, we are going to be pretty damn dangerous.

There's a lot of guys who could make the team next year but I'm really hoping that Nieto, Tierney, and Hertl are primed for breakouts. Those three are the guys we're gonna be counting on if we want a cup. Also have to hope that Thornton and Marleau doesn't break down too much.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
There's a lot of guys who could make the team next year but I'm really hoping that Nieto, Tierney, and Hertl are primed for breakouts. Those three are the guys we're gonna be counting on if we want a cup. Also have to hope that Thornton and Marleau doesn't break down too much.
Basically this.

We absolutely need Marleau to bounce back if we want to contend.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA

IF - and that's a big IF - that happens, this team would kind of remind me of the Ducks during their cup run. Stacked depth, and their 2nd line was their future top line with their top line having aging vets.

Stretching a little there but there is precedence for a team winning the cup with that type of balance - having two HOFers anchoring the Dcore doesn't hurt either :P

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
I think a cup contender needs some players who are Conn Smythe capable.

I see maybe Burns, Pavelski (Colorado series), an improved Couture, and hopefully Jones. In the future, maybe Meier, Roy, Hertl.

Too many young players for the Sharks to be a favorite, but it is possible for them to all come together.

It looks like management have equipped the Sharks with everything they need to be successful. The players have to execute.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009

We are fairly dangerous this year. A very well rounded team. Next year if one of Goldobin or Meier (or both) make the jump to the NHL, we are going to be pretty damn dangerous.[/QUOTE]

I consider the following "Elite-esque"-

JT, Burns,Logan,Pavs

That's 4 guys, all of which will be here in 2yrs time.
As for the bolded, my sentiments exactly.

What is your definition of a breakout year? I to am hopeful they progress.

Nieto 20g 15a ? Where will he slot,logan's wing or Tierney's

Tierney 15g 30a ? 3C with 2 good wingers his numbers could go up

Hertl 25g 15a ? as a winger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad