Confirmed with Link: Paul Martin signs-4 year deal / AAV $4.85m

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Here's Paul's goodbye message to the Penguins, posted on Player's Tribune. I really like him as a person after reading it. Loved the ending.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/paul-martin-pittsburgh-penguins-letter/

That's the kind of guy you're getting. Whenever things are down, he's there. Whenever things are going well, he's there. He's not the sexiest player in the league, but he's rock solid.

Best of luck to Paul, his new teammates, and his new fans.
pm6.gif

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think Paul Martin will be solid for us the first few years of his contract and I think its good that he's played under Larry Robinson before but I have this bad feeling he might end up being the next Kent Huskins or Niclas Wallin of our team, given our bad history with signing aging defensemen. I don't like signing him to a 4 year deal though especially for $4.85M, I would have preferred like $3M or something like that or just go for someone younger and more potential but oh well I don't think he'll be that bad right now, we'll see though.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I think Paul Martin will be solid for us the first few years of his contract and I think its good that he's played under Larry Robinson before but I have this bad feeling he might end up being the next Kent Huskins or Niclas Wallin of our team, given our bad history with signing aging defensemen. I don't like signing him to a 4 year deal though especially for $4.85M, I would have preferred like $3M or something like that or just go for someone younger and more potential but oh well I don't think he'll be that bad right now, we'll see though.

This was a UFA signing, you don't get to dictate terms.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Paul Martin said:
So thank you, Pittsburgh. And hello, San Jose. I can’t catch a break. I’ve got some stiff competition in the team store with Thornton, Marleau, Couture, Burns … I might have to buy a bunch of teal no. 7 jerseys and circulate them around the city. Keep your eye out.

Or like, you know, the team's leading scorer, fellow national olympian and all around great american hero that endorsed your signing?

jk… welcome aboard dude.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
If we can dump brown somewhere. Will have over 6 million then we might be able to make something happen

We only have 4 mil left with a 22 man roster team. And that's being generous. And we shouldn't have our heads at the ceiling to start the year. You all are dreamin'. We'd have to trade a much bigger asset than Brown to get a 5 or 6 million dollar guy.

Last edited:

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
We only have 4 mil left with a 22 roster team. And that's being generous. And we shouldn't have our heads at the ceiling to start the system. You all are dreamin'. We'd have to trade a much bigger asset than Brown to get a 5 or 6 million dollar guy.

agreed. ideally 1 forward/1d. could happen through trade free agency, doesnt have to be 5/6 million. someone in the 3/4 range could be attainable. realistcally i see us getting atleat 1 more piece before raining camp, if things well we will have flexability at the trade deadline

Last edited:

ikyan

Apr 29, 2014
Kingston
Pens fan: Martin is pure class. Don't know how he put up with the crap we gave him for the 1st two years he was here.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
Does he have a NMC/NTC? If not, the signing of term and $ isn't that bad. It's when they come with NMC's that hurt.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
It doesn't matter. He's needed for two to three years near his current abilities. That's the window. Beyond that, they can eat the cap hit and retool again.

We have like $21M coming off the books in 2 years with Burns the only big re-signing, maybe Wingels.

I/e., by then cap shouldn't make a difference.

displacedpensfan

Dec 23, 2008
Take Good Care of Him

Pens fan: Martin is pure class. Don't know how he put up with the crap we gave him for the 1st two years he was here.

Sharks fans, please take good care of him. I actually think he'll age relatively well given the type of game he plays and will venture you'll get full value for at least three years, if not all four. Also, bleep the Kings!

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think Martin will be an excellent player for at least two years. Past then, he probably declines significantly, but you have to do what you have to do in UFA and the fact that DW actually went out and got a top-4 defenseman at a reasonable price is something we should be stoked about.

If he blows after two years, fine. We just need him to be what he is for the next two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad