News Article: Paul Martin Recounts His Struggle with Addiction

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Glad to hear he was able to overcome things. Never an easy thing to deal with. Hopefully he is able to keep himself in a good frame of mind, or at least reach out to the right help if things get dark again.

Keep fighting the good fight.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Woah, a lot of insight there you don't always get. I've always wondered about the mental health of those guys that seem to be constantly battling injuries. Beau Bennett comes to mind, someone that could have been a consistent NHL impact player and made a lot of money as well, but his body just wouldn't agree with him. Just so unfortunate. Don't know if I've read someone being that honest about how hard it is to watch a team win without you or after you leave, missing out on once in a lifetime opportunities because of freak accidents. Not to mention all the physical pain as well. Getting to your prime and then having it taken away from you? Imagine if Sid hadn't been able to turn his career around after the concussions?

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Wow, that was a helluva read. And maybe a reminder I should strive to be less of dick when discussing disappointing games and player performances in here? Like another poster in here said, these kids are human. Faster, stronger, and more determined perhaps, than most humans, but certainly not physically or psychologically indestructible. And likely suffering from the pressure and contagion of being immersed in competitive hockey culture starting at such an early age. It also reminds me how unbelievably fortunate we've been to enjoy guys like Mario and Sid, players who faced serious health impediments to say the least, yet battled back to the pinnacle of the sport while never, ever, not for a f***ing second, not representing Pittsburgh with utter class and integrity. I can't imagine the pressure.

Wishing Paul Martin peace.

EDIT- I found the retirement article in The Athletic about Paul. Worthy read if you're interested. Even has great commentary from Jake's dad from his Gopher days: 'You'll always miss it': As hockey career ends, Paul Martin embraces what's next

Last edited:
Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
The old school hockey types will hate this, but the human body is just not really designed to grind through 82 games seasons + playoffs. That doesn't even factor in the daily grind of the conditioning required to maintain your athleticism. Also, you have injury rehabs, which seem like hell from any stories I have heard.

It is easy to see how somebody would need help to push through it. It is a problem that is likely more widespread than the public will ever know.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
The old school hockey types will hate this, but the human body is just not really designed to grind through 82 games seasons + playoffs. That doesn't even factor in the daily grind of the conditioning required to maintain your athleticism. Also, you have injury rehabs, which seem like hell from any stories I have heard.

It is easy to see how somebody would need help to push through it. It is a problem that is likely more widespread than the public will ever know.
The few individuals I know that have made it to the professional level in their sport all shared a drive and focus that bordered on mental illness. It's basically required to succeed at that level for all but the elite of elite natural athletes, but I worry for the long term health of anyone who pushes their mind and body to that extent.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Another great read from a bit ago. The Things You Can’t See | By Colin Wilson

Coupled with the fact that doctors sling around heavy duty drugs--pretty much specifically designed to get you hooked--like they're candy and it's a recipe for some real great shit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad