News Article: Paul Martin Recounts His Struggle with Addiction

Hockey 4 everyone

Sep 29, 2017
wow I had no idea. But it makes a lot of sense.on paper he should have been much better for the pens but we never really knew why it wasn’t working. Now it makes sense.

I wonder how many other disappointing and underwhelming current/past players delivered the performances they did due to depression and substance abuse. Hopefully as these things become less taboo we learn more.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
wow I had no idea. But it makes a lot of sense.on paper he should have been much better for the pens but we never really knew why it wasn’t working. Now it makes sense.

I wonder how many other disappointing and underwhelming current/past players delivered the performances they did due to depression and substance abuse. Hopefully as these things become less taboo we learn more.

I question how much better Martin could’ve been for us. He was very good most years.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
Interesting to read an article about some of the struggles these players have. It's easy to think because they're rich they must be happy but that's not always the case - they're human too. I think it's easy for people- men especially - to become lonely. I feel like I've been where Paul was with the substance abuse and loneliness. It's really hard to snap out of it. Glad he found his way out and I hope he is able to move on to the next phase of his life.

"It’s always dark there and cloudy, gloomy.”

I've always wondered what some of the players think playing in gloomy places like Pittsburgh and Buffalo. Even as a longtime resident, the gloominess gets to me. I wonder if it ever affects the ability of this team (or the Steelers) to land a free agent.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I say it over and over and over again around here - these people are human. I laugh when everyone thinks life is just perfect for these men and women. It's not. It never is. So happy to hear a story turned out good. But if you like tweets of people shit talking people they don't know or you do so here... stop. :laugh: Seriously.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Big fan of Martin. And he led to one my favorite of the dumb gifs I made.

uNR1sQP.gif

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Plenty of addicts and broken down (generally good hearted) humans on everyone's streets... why should I care about a millionaire's problems.

The Sodfather

Jan 19, 2021
Pittsburgh, Pa.
His struggles hit close to home for me. My wife and I lost our God son to substance abuse. We had no idea he had the issues he did because he was skilled at hiding them and he begged his parents to keep it private, which they did. Could his extended family have helped him? Well, we'll never know and frankly, not a day goes by that I don't think about it or him.

I'm glad Paul got the help he needed. For his sake and his families' and friends sake, too. I know what it's like to suddenly be faced with a situation of abject and complete sorrow with nothing but questions, most of which that will never be answered. God bless him and anyone involved in a similar situation. Moving forward, I wish Paul and his family nothing but the best.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
I feel like the very kind of public challenge from gmrs to be better and fulfill the contract was kind of an admission that the higher ups knew what was really going on and in old school hockey fashion played it that way instead of outright getting him help?

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
I question how much better Martin could’ve been for us. He was very good most years.
Agree. He got off to a rough start, but he played for the Americans in his time with the Pens.
Solid player. Seemed like a nice guy. Didn’t he take out an ad or write a column thanking Penguins fans when he left?

Was one of those rare big(ish) UFA signings that actually worked out.
I second this recommendation. It was in the Players Tribune, but I’m not finding it. Starts off with a great anecdote about being stuck on an extended shift with Scuderi and MAF is having a blast.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I feel like the very kind of public challenge from gmrs to be better and fulfill the contract was kind of an admission that the higher ups knew what was really going on and in old school hockey fashion played it that way instead of outright getting him help?
Why does the team have to get him help?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad