Paul MacLean Thread, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This Phillips guy is getting the second most ice time out of all our defenceman this year. Who's in charge of that?

Who else is he supposed to play? Boro or Gryba?

The problem right now is that with Methot out, we have two capable NHL defencemen - Karlsson and Ceci. (Yep - at age 20, Cody Ceci is easily our second best defenceman.) With Methot out, we simply don't have another capable top four defenceman on the roster. Therefore, Mac has no option but to play Phillips in a top four role and hope that he can at least be a reasonable facsimile of the player he was four or five years ago.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Who else is he supposed to play? Boro or Gryba?

The problem right now is that with Methot out, we have two capable NHL defencemen - Karlsson and Ceci. (Yep - at age 20, Cody Ceci is easily our second best defenceman.) With Methot out, we simply don't have another capable top four defenceman on the roster. Therefore, Mac has no option but to play Phillips in a top four role and hope that he can at least be a reasonable facsimile of the player he was four or five years ago.

Seems you forgot a guy named Cowen who played well last night and was playing very well prior to him inexplicably being a healthy scratch when Methot was inserted into the lineup.

While I appreciate everything Phillips has done for Ottawa and the Sens organization he is now ranked behind Methot, Cowen, Wiercoich and even Boro on the left side IMO.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Seems you forgot a guy named Cowen who played well last night and was playing very well prior to him inexplicably being a healthy scratch when Methot was inserted into the lineup.

While I appreciate everything Phillips has done for Ottawa and the Sens organization he is now ranked behind Methot, Cowen, Wiercoich and even Boro on the left side IMO.

I'd rank Phillips behind Claesson and Wideman as well.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Mac (nor anyone else) is going anywhere. Remember that the prime (I mean only) driver on this team is economics. Team needs to do things as cheaply as possible (whether its players or coaches). There is no way Mr. M. is going to be able to live with himself paying anyone for not working for him (whether its Greening, DaCosta not getting a decent contract, Mac, etc...).

Remember the Golden Rule. He who controls the gold, makes the rules.

Having said that, great comeback so far tonight by the Sens. The way the first period went I thought it would be a blowout for Vancouver.

Not sure any of this economics stuff has any merit.

The team is currently paying Greening, Wiercoich and at least two other players not to play which I am sure far exceeds the cost of MacLean's contract.

The fact is MacLean has made and continues to make some very questionable roster and on-ice personnel decisions which always seem to favor underperforming veterans.

If anyone tries to suggest Phillips has played well post the 7-8 game mark they are either being argumentative or just haven't watched his play.

Two goals last night were directly related to Phillips IMO, both plays definitely not what anyone would expect from a veteran D-man.

If Weircoich or Cowen made those type of mistakes they would have be stapled to the bench for the balance of the game, Phillips is right back out playing top line minutes.

IMO this is what is creating all the chatter about MacLean's future.

It is the veteran's play that has been letting the team down, but MacLean sticks by them at his own peril IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad