Paul Fenton trades

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They got crushed on the Granlund deal. He is a 70 point forward next season in Nashville. He fits that system like a glove.

To Minny's defense, they weren't going to win a trade with Granlund in it. Getting an immediate impact forward was a bonus.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Nino trade is the only one that’s really bad (its awful no matter how you look at it).

The bigger issue though with that and the Granlund one is that they should have been for prospects rather than other roster players

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
The Nino trade is the only one that’s really bad (its awful no matter how you look at it).

The bigger issue though with that and the Granlund one is that they should have been for prospects rather than other roster players

Not really. Still have Suter & Spurgeon as elite 1st pairing D - they cant tank with those 2 on the ice 25 minutes a night. Saying nothing of Dumba or Brodin.

Is a clear situation for a retool. Add a few more offensive players, hope Kaprizov comes soon and Wild will be fine.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Fenton was ripped for most if not all trades on this board and especially by Wild fans. Now that the dust has settled a bit do we have a different opinion?

Nino for Rask. This trade looked awful from the beginning, and turned out probably worse than expected. Wild save some slight money and need center help. Rask being hurt hasn't helped and Nino playing well hasn't either.

Hunt for a 5th round pick. This was a very underrated trade and has worked out pretty well for the Wild. With Dumba out the wild were in need of a guy that could help on the PP. I have been very impressed with his overall play.

Coyle for Donato and a 5th. Pretty much most people assumed Boston won this one easily. Donato has been great for the wild and he is younger, cheaper and a shoot 1st guy which the Wild lack. This has been a great trade for the Wild so far.

Granlund for Fiala. This trade was 90% laughed at, ripped and assumed Nashville bent the wild over. I was one of the few that was fine with this deal. I really like Fiala, his speed, and shot is better than Granlund. His contract, team control for another 5 years and salary saving of 5 million a year was a big benefit as well. Another shoot 1st guy and speed which the Wild had lacked.

Overall I think these trades at worst are a push, and if you consider that the team that was the oldest in the NHL got younger and cheaper without really pushing the reset button so far looks brilliant. Yes, its early...very early, but I dont think things could have gone much better overall in the deals and maybe people can stop assuming if the Wild make a trade they are getting ripped off.

It has been what 2 weeks since that trade! Don't know that soon on a trade like this as neither player is setting the world on fire.

Changing up the look of Minny needs to happen, as they have done nothing for a long time, despite having more than enough good players to do something. They need/needed a change.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not really. Still have Suter & Spurgeon as elite 1st pairing D - they cant tank with those 2 on the ice 25 minutes a night. Saying nothing of Dumba or Brodin.

Is a clear situation for a retool. Add a few more offensive players, hope Kaprizov comes soon and Wild will be fine.

That’s why I said prospects rather than draft picks. They’re closer to entering the league and gives the team a lot more cap flexibility which would be really useful during a retool.

The team’s biggest problem is still a lack of high impact forwards which is only going to be solved via the draft/prospect development

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
That’s why I said prospects rather than draft picks. They’re closer to entering the league and gives the team a lot more cap flexibility which would be really useful during a retool.

The team’s biggest problem is still a lack of high impact forwards which is only going to be solved via the draft/prospect development

Ok, makes sense.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

giphy.gif

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
If Rask had scored twice the last game he played we'd be calling that even i bet. Fiala has had one game where he's done anything at all. Just like proclaiming Fenton a failure at GMing the trades haven't had enough time to settle in on either side enough to call them good or bad.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Niederreiter is still riding the high of being a 5th overall pick. He may on a heater with Carolina right now, but he'll revert back to the bum that he is.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If Rask had scored twice the last game he played we'd be calling that even i bet. Fiala has had one game where he's done anything at all. Just like proclaiming Fenton a failure at GMing the trades haven't had enough time to settle in on either side enough to call them good or bad.

There doesn’t need to be time to call Niederreiter for Rask a bad trade. That was something you could do at the very moment it happened.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
There doesn’t need to be time to call Niederreiter for Rask a bad trade. That was something you could do at the very moment it happened.

sure, and if Rask goes on a tear and ends up scoring more here than Nino in Carolina what then? Or hell, even just slightly less. If he ends up pulling his weight here no matter what Nino does in Carolina it'll be a much different reckoning, as the point was to get a center who could play top six minutes eventually, not replace Nino's production (which wasn't great here this year). He's looking all Havlat at the moment so outlook not so good but still, it's not been long enough yet IMO.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
sure, and if Rask goes on a tear and ends up scoring more here than Nino in Carolina what then? Or hell, even just slightly less. If he ends up pulling his weight here no matter what Nino does in Carolina it'll be a much different reckoning, as the point was to get a center who could play top six minutes eventually, not replace Nino's production (which wasn't great here this year). He's looking all Havlat at the moment so outlook not so good but still, it's not been long enough yet IMO.

The fact that Paul Fenton traded for Victor Rask in order to get a center who could play top-6 minutes is exactly why the trade was very bad.

Reactions: Master Scheif

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
The fact that Paul Fenton traded for Victor Rask in order to get a center who could play top-6 minutes is exactly why the trade was very bad.

One of those things where we could have very easily gotten as much out of Rask as we were the version of Nino that was playing for us lately. Wouldn't have taken much. Kinda like if Donato continues to pick up points here it's still not fair to LOL at Boston because he wasn't getting points there. Take Nino's points with Carolina out of it (because he wasn't getting them here) and we traded a disappointing wing for a disappointing center and weighing what we give up in the real chance that Nino would start to produce again vs the need for a center that wasn't over 30 years old.

i didn't like the trade, and i don't see much chance I'll change my mind about that but the idea was sound. Would rather have had as high a pick as we could have squeezed out of anyone TBH if Rask was the best available youngish center.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
At times he reminds you of Forsberg at times you forget he’s even playing

that's pretty much Nino. and also what I expect of Fiala and why i was (and still am) convinced we didn't get full value for Granlund.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If you're trying to retool, and get younger in the process, don't trade B+ 26 year olds for B- 22 year olds. 22 year olds don't have that much room for growth, it just makes the roster worse. The Wild might be benefiting now from a shake-up, but they didn't make the roster better. A better plan would be to do a sharper rebuild and move the older guys for raw 20 year olds with higher upside.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
The point above was made that this makes more room for valuable TOI for the likes of Eriksson-Ek, Greenway, and Kunin who have all shown maturation...I don't know if Fenton had that goal in mind but certainly a lot of GMs would use this as a shakedown period to see which of this next gen of players he wanted to keep or trade.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
We just heard Fenton turned down 1st + unknown player/prospect from the Bruins for Staal. I am not convinced this guy has a clear plan...like others have said not great value in any of the trades...however the Nino trade is just an awful trade. They will probably buy out Rask.

Fenton could have moved Staal/Granlund/Coyle for Donato/Fiala/1st/prospect.

That would have given the Wild essentially the same cap situation + a 1st rounder + prospect and a line-up of:

Zucker - Koivu - Fiala
Parise - Kunin - Nino
Donato - Erikson Ek - Greenway

Suter - Spurgeon
Dumba - Brodin
Hunt -

Plus you still have the flexibility to make a deal for better value for Nino/Zucker/whomever and gain value rather than move guys just to move guys. Or you can sign a guy too moving off of 13-15m from those 3 above.

Mini-rebuild. Young guys can play. Still can be decently competitive. Fix your cap space and give you flexibility there. Extremely young roster. etc. Pretty much in a perfect spot to retool on the fly.

Oh well.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Donato with his 8th point in 8 games. Bruins have yet to score with Coyle on the ice and he has 2 shots total.

Donato is likely not going to keep being this productive and Coyle is going to pick it up at some point I assume, but I thought immediately that the Bruins mismanaged Donato and then gave up on him too fast.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
6-0-2 in their last 8. Funny how Fenton was getting bashed while Kekalainen was getting lots praise at the TDL (not counting the Rask/Nino trade lol). I know there is still 15 games to go until the end of the season but lets give some credit for the positive turn the Wild have made and they have done it against some very very good teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad