Paul Fenton trades

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
Fenton was ripped for most if not all trades on this board and especially by Wild fans. Now that the dust has settled a bit do we have a different opinion?

Nino for Rask. This trade looked awful from the beginning, and turned out probably worse than expected. Wild save some slight money and need center help. Rask being hurt hasn't helped and Nino playing well hasn't either.

Hunt for a 5th round pick. This was a very underrated trade and has worked out pretty well for the Wild. With Dumba out the wild were in need of a guy that could help on the PP. I have been very impressed with his overall play.

Coyle for Donato and a 5th. Pretty much most people assumed Boston won this one easily. Donato has been great for the wild and he is younger, cheaper and a shoot 1st guy which the Wild lack. This has been a great trade for the Wild so far.

Granlund for Fiala. This trade was 90% laughed at, ripped and assumed Nashville bent the wild over. I was one of the few that was fine with this deal. I really like Fiala, his speed, and shot is better than Granlund. His contract, team control for another 5 years and salary saving of 5 million a year was a big benefit as well. Another shoot 1st guy and speed which the Wild had lacked.

Overall I think these trades at worst are a push, and if you consider that the team that was the oldest in the NHL got younger and cheaper without really pushing the reset button so far looks brilliant. Yes, its early...very early, but I dont think things could have gone much better overall in the deals and maybe people can stop assuming if the Wild make a trade they are getting ripped off.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
In 2019, a general manager who trades Nino Niederreiter for Victor Rask is one who should not be the general manager of an NHL team because they are simply not capable of assessing players based on the analytics and film that are available to them.

I swear the lower tier gms using NHL 19 as its scouting. Rask is a beast in NHL 19, can deke and hit the net.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Fenton was ripped for most if not all trades on this board and especially by Wild fans. Now that the dust has settled a bit do we have a different opinion?

Nino for Rask. This trade looked awful from the beginning, and turned out probably worse than expected. Wild save some slight money and need center help. Rask being hurt hasn't helped and Nino playing well hasn't either.

Hunt for a 5th round pick. This was a very underrated trade and has worked out pretty well for the Wild. With Dumba out the wild were in need of a guy that could help on the PP. I have been very impressed with his overall play.

Coyle for Donato and a 5th. Pretty much most people assumed Boston won this one easily. Donato has been great for the wild and he is younger, cheaper and a shoot 1st guy which the Wild lack. This has been a great trade for the Wild so far.

Granlund for Fiala. This trade was 90% laughed at, ripped and assumed Nashville bent the wild over. I was one of the few that was fine with this deal. I really like Fiala, his speed, and shot is better than Granlund. His contract, team control for another 5 years and salary saving of 5 million a year was a big benefit as well. Another shoot 1st guy and speed which the Wild had lacked.

Overall I think these trades at worst are a push, and if you consider that the team that was the oldest in the NHL got younger and cheaper without really pushing the reset button so far looks brilliant. Yes, its early...very early, but I dont think things could have gone much better overall in the deals and maybe people can stop assuming if the Wild make a trade they are getting ripped off.
That Nino trade is so bad especially since he could have cashed out big time at the deadline. And what's with not getting any draft picks back on any of these trades?
I still hate the Granlund deal.
I liked the Donato trade for Minny from day one.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
The only trades that got slammed are the Nino and Granlund ones. The former of which was and still is awful. Latter of which was really bad asset management/value on return and, at best, is hoped to be an even swap skill-wise going forward.

I don’t recall people hating the Donato trade, aside from both Minnesota and Boston fans seeming to hate it and thinking they lost the deal on here somehow.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Coyle - never became the player MN needed, (0,4 ppg not great for a 3,2M$ player)
Granlund - so far Fiala has produced more, in long term should be ok'ish trade
Nino - good player, but stat wise mediocre (0,5-0,6 ppg) for a 5,3M$ player
Hunt - home run pickup

I would give Fenton at least a chance. He was hired to make big changes and there is only so much you can do when you have players with GIGANTIC contracts and NMC's locked.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The Donato trade should be pretty good for them, I think they did very well with Boston there.

Nino for Rask is an absolute travesty though.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm still hoping, maybe in vain, that Nino for Rask was a case of Fenton leaning more on his pro scouts. Russo mentioned that that trade came soon after some mid-January team meetings, so it doesn't seem unlikely that the decision was made more "by committee" than the others. Our pro scouts have always seemed a little questionable and, more importantly, they're replaceable.

With Donato we know that Fenton was out in Boston/Providence scouting the Bruins and their prospects. And he's as familiar with Fiala as anyone. It's early to say how either will work out, but they both absolutely bring a skill set and mentality that the team has been lacking.

So I don't know. My hope is that Fenton has a good eye for talent and will be able to bring in pro and amateur scouts that are similarly equipped. I also hope he gets a little more ruthless in his trades because it does feel like he left a lot on the table, regardless of how strongly he feels about the guys he acquired.

Bottom line though: the team looks better now than it did a month ago. Part of that is new guys like Fiala, Donato and even Hunt. Part of it is more opportunity for guys like Eriksson-Ek, Kunin and Greenway. Part of it is vets like Zucker and Staal pulling their heads out of their butts, possibly because of deadline-related drama. If they do push through their ridiculous March schedule and into a playoff spot Fenton should get quite a bit of credit for that.

Reactions: rynryn

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Fiala is better than most Wild fans thought. Guy has legimate potential to be a gamebreaker offensively. Donato shoots everything, which is super refreshing.

The big benefit of the trade is that it puts guys like Kunin, Greenway, Eriksson Ek in more prominent roles. They have proven that they are ready. Add Kaprizov and another couple forward prospects, and Wild might not be as screwed as anticipated.

Also, Preds fans need to be patient with Granlund. Guy is a beast and genuinely cares...have to think being traded was especially hard on him given his pregnant wife too. He will come around. Just wait.

Reactions: nashpreds

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Doesn’t mean he couldn’t have got more value though

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Fiala is better than most Wild fans thought. Guy has legimate potential to be a gamebreaker offensively. Donato shoots everything, which is super refreshing.

The big benefit of the trade is that it puts guys like Kunin, Greenway, Eriksson Ek in more prominent roles. They have proven that they are ready. Add Kaprizov and another couple forward prospects, and Wild might not be as screwed as anticipated.

Also, Preds fans need to be patient with Granlund. Guy is a beast and genuinely cares...have to think being traded was especially hard on him given his pregnant wife too. He will come around. Just wait.
Most of us are giving him some slack because he had one heck of a week, and then you top it off by playing the guys you've been playing with for a while.

I'm sure he will come around eventually. It also doesn't help that Turris is playing hurt and in poor condition we believe and Smith just got back himself.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
In 2019, a general manager who trades Nino Niederreiter for Victor Rask is one who should not be the general manager of an NHL team because they are simply not capable of assessing players based on the analytics and film that are available to them.
What about Donato for Coyle though? Donato is looking way better

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Wild did fine. They received 2 talented young forwards with years of control. I don't know why people think Coyle could've fetched a more promising player than Danato or to think that a pick and a younger prospect are safer bets to turn into better players than a Kevin Fiala. The Rask trade was the closest thing to a head scratcher but he has also proven earlier in his career that there is upside to his game. But the bottom line is the Wild needed a shake up more than anything. They were a stale team and the trades made them faster on the ice and more flexible on the books.

Rask4m3 years after this season
Fiala8kRFA after this season
Danato8kRFA after this season
Nino5.5m3 years after this season
Granlund5.7m1 year after this season
Coyle3.2m1 year after this season
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Donato for Coyle was basically fine day one. Nino for Rask is bad enough that it'll taint Fenton for ever (Fletcher still gets shit for Leddy for Cam Barker).

The problem with Fiala for Granlund is the value, not the idea behind it (as much of a Granlund fan I am). Fiala's cieling is probably what Granlund is (although different styles). When you're making that trade, you need to get a + for the risk you're taking on that he doesn't become that. Which is a significant risk.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Donato for Coyle was basically fine day one. Nino for Rask is bad enough that it'll taint Fenton for ever (Fletcher still gets shit for Leddy for Cam Barker).

The problem with Fiala for Granlund is the value, not the idea behind it (as much of a Granlund fan I am). Fiala's cieling is probably what Granlund is (although different styles). When you're making that trade, you need to get a + for the risk you're taking on that he doesn't become that. Which is a significant risk.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
We tried to tell everyone that Fiala had potential. He just needed a change of scenery or maybe a little more freedom from his coach.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Fiala has been my pick for “breakout player of the year” the past two years.

I don’t know if he’ll ever put it together, but his skillset reminds me of Filip Forsberg.

Goose312

May 15, 2015

Nino for Rask is just horrible, there's no defense for it, it's done. The Hunt pickup was a nice depth trade, not earth shattering but a low price for a useful player.

The Granlund trade was bad. And it's not because they Wild shouldn't have traded Granny, and it's not because Fiala is bad. Fiala's a good player to get back. The issue is the Wild sold the known value guy, with term, for a guy with question marks and a ceiling roughly where Granlund already is in a 1 for 1 deal. That's bad value. In that type of trade the Wild should have been getting a pretty decent add but Fenton apparently didn't even pursue one. The Coyle trade is similar, traded the known asset with term and got back a guy in the AHL with no additional adds. Donato is a good pickup and fits Fenton's future vision for the team, but it shouldn't have been 1 for 1.

Reactions: ijk

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
The Niederreiter for Rask trade was bad, but I don't think Niederreiter is as good as a lot of people here seem to think. He is the poster boy for the limitations of advanced stats. On paper he looks like a very good player. But if you watched him play it was obvious that he had been largely ineffective for the Wild since the second half of last season. The trade seems to have woken him up, but the player Carolina has now isn't what we were getting. That is probably why he was sold so cheaply. Rask appears to be useless though, the Wild should have gotten a pick too.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The big issue with the Niederreiter for Rask trade is not that Fenton traded away Nino Niederreiter.

The big issue is, which pretty much completely proves his incompetence, is that he acquired Victor Rask and nothing else in return.

Reactions: djgriff

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
I think it is likely that Fenton was getting very few offers for Niederreiter, and felt that he had to move him, given his production vs salary and term. In a bad trade the mystery box always looks better than what you actually got, but maybe the mystery box had nothing in it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad