Confirmed with Link: Paul Fenton to be named GM of Minnesota Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Is that his analysis or what he's hearing? Is it his idea to trade Dumba or speculating on what someone else said? There's a difference. I didn't listen yet.

@ Minnesnota - Thanks for the notes by the way, interesting stuff.
After listening to it it's hard to say. The impression I get is that a lot of this is just Russo connecting dots, especially when it comes to anything more specific than "Fenton's going to make a big trade." It sounds like he's on his 3rd pot of coffee and is jumping between the same names we've been batting around here (Coyle, Nino, Dumba, etc.). Coyle's the best example of this: he swings between saying how disappointing Coyle's season has been and how inconsistent he is, to how much Boudreau likes him and about how the team desperately needs right-shot fowards, to how eventually you just have to cut bait on him. A lot of it sounds like stream of consciousness :laugh:

The big take-aways seem to be:
- a big trade is possible/likely before the draft, but after the scouting meetings
- that trade will likely involve one of the more moveable players on the team (Coyle, Nino, Dumba, Staal, Brodin, etc.)
- Fenton and Boudreau have laid out their opinions about the players to one another
- Boudreau seems to like Coyle as the 2C

Reactions: FVM

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I mean if the rumors are true, it does seem foolish not to have a hockey guy working with Leipold to find the best guy. Makes sense why we are having trouble analyzing talent.

I feel like Russo contradicts himself; guys like Dumba, Coyle, el Nino and Brodin are on their way out, but the core hates each other? Is this the core?

Koivu being an issue is not a big story. We've seen this.

Also who the hell is the core? And is Parise and Suter getting tired of each other? I'm thinking more of the defense is getting tired of Suter and his gazillion minutes he plays.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I mean if the rumors are true, it does seem foolish not to have a hockey guy working with Leipold to find the best guy. Makes sense why we are having trouble analyzing talent.

I feel like Russo contradicts himself; guys like Dumba, Coyle, el Nino and Brodin are on their way out, but the core hates each other? Is this the core?

Koivu being an issue is not a big story. We've seen this.

Also who the hell is the core? And is Parise and Suter getting tired of each other? I'm thinking more of the defense is getting tired of Suter and his gazillion minutes he plays.
Well he said the core was "tired" of each other, not that anyone hated anyone. As for who the "core" is I assume it's Suter/Parise/Koivu + Granlund/Zucker/Coyle/Nino/Spurgeon/Brodin/Dumba. Technically Dubnyk, but I don't think he's been around long enough to factor in as much. Ditto for Staal.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Meh, I wouldn't go that far in saying he's one of the best owners in sports. Plenty of meddling owners spend to the cap. The issue I have with Leipold is that he doesn't want any significant changes; just a few tweaks. Therefore, he hired a GM that aligned with his position. An owner, who is one of the best, would keep his viewpoints away and not let it influence his decision on who to hire. I feel that there were better candidates available.
No owner is every going to please everyone. The nice thing about Leipold is that he isn't shy about spending money. Being a Twins fan for all my life made me believe this town would never get a owner that would be willing to open the wallet to chase big names.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see how any of the top 4 D can be traded when Seeler is our next best Dman, unless said top4 Dman gets one hell of a player back.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't see how any of the top 4 D can be traded when Seeler is our next best Dman, unless said top4 Dman gets one hell of a player back.
One could be traded if you acquired another defenseman via trade or free agency. The idea of trading Dumba and signing Carlson seems bonkers to me just because of the contract Carlson would require; the same goes for any top-4 caliber UFA defenseman. Trading Dumba and making another move for Faulk seems less crazy, but I get the feeling that I'd dislike both of the trades involved.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Meh, I wouldn't go that far in saying he's one of the best owners in sports. Plenty of meddling owners spend to the cap. The issue I have with Leipold is that he doesn't want any significant changes; just a few tweaks. Therefore, he hired a GM that aligned with his position. An owner, who is one of the best, would keep his viewpoints away and not let it influence his decision on who to hire. I feel that there were better candidates available.
I see no evidence of meddling. He just voiced his opinion of the state of the team, being close and only needing tweaks. He said the interview process pretty much confirmed that view across the league. Thus it sounds like most across the league see the Wild as a good team that just needs a few changes to possibly get the cup.

How is any of that being revealed point to a "meddling owner"?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Is that his analysis or what he's hearing? Is it his idea to trade Dumba or speculating on what someone else said? There's a difference. I didn't listen yet.

@ Minnesnota - Thanks for the notes by the way, interesting stuff.
Russo does a lot of "speculating" and "thinking out loud" in his podcasts and usually isn't the best take.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
No owner is every going to please everyone. The nice thing about Leipold is that he isn't shy about spending money. Being a Twins fan for all my life made me believe this town would never get a owner that would be willing to open the wallet to chase big names.
We have two above average owners in CL for the Wild and ZW for the Vikings!

Both provide all the resources the front office needs to get what they want to try to accomplish!

I'm completely happy with both Craig and Ziggy!

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Well he said the core was "tired" of each other, not that anyone hated anyone. As for who the "core" is I assume it's Suter/Parise/Koivu + Granlund/Zucker/Coyle/Nino/Spurgeon/Brodin/Dumba. Technically Dubnyk, but I don't think he's been around long enough to factor in as much. Ditto for Staal.

Point taken; tired =/= hate. The more and more I hear, the more I think Suter is a problem on defense. As much as people chided Stoner, he did bring up a good point (though there seems to be some contention if he actually said it or not) about Suter and his minutes. Dumba I believe also echoed the sentiment of the statement. BTW if Stoner was playing, that'd be three former Wild players playing on a SC team LOL.

Russo does a lot of "speculating" and "thinking out loud" in his podcasts and usually isn't the best take.

That's why I think his credibility is questionable as a writer and glad he left.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That's why I think his credibility is questionable as a writer and glad he left.
As a beat writer... he's fantastic! It's when he steps into the analyst role that he fumbles the ball.

He did more beat work when he was with the Strib and was a huge fan, he tries to be too much of an analyst with the Athletic, not enough beat writing.

Reactions: hirawl and 2Pair

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
As a beat writer... he's fantastic! It's when he steps into the analyst role that he fumbles the ball.

He did more beat work when he was with the Strib and was a huge fan, he tries to be too much of an analyst with the Athletic, not enough beat writing.

Eh, as a beat writer, he got snarky and cynical at the end. He wasn't that good the last year or so with the team. Started out good, but when he took the job at the Athletic, it didn't come as a surprise.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
05:05 - Souhan questions the hiring process not having a hockey guy in the interviews
- To do what, serve tea? Ultimately the decision comes down to the guy writing the checks. Most of the "hockey guys" are just members of the same good ol' boys club anyways.

12:10 - Souhan pointing out that Koivu, Suter, Parise were at the press conference but nobody else was (alluding to them trying to win favor with Fenton)
-This seems like a pure click-bait statement. The "C" and 2 "A" are the only players that should be there. Otherwise it'll be a head count of which players showed up and which ones didn't. None of these 3 players need to curry any favor with the new GM, their NMC's mean he can't do anything to them.

13:25 - Koivu is an issue with this team and if Bruce "had his way" Koivu would be the teams 3rd line center.
- Pretty much everyone on here said the same thing about Koivu this year. Was GMCF stopping BB from having his way? Or was it the lack of any sort of viable center behind Koivu?

14:15 - Bruce wants Coyle at 2C permanently instead of constantly moving him up and down the lineup.
- I don't like to question most of BBs decisions; he has the record and is with the team every day; but did he just get back from a Colorado and eat a few too many brownies?

20:00 - Bruce and Fenton had a come to Jesus meeting where they both put on the table how they value each player on the roster.
- I would have liked to been a fly on the wall for that meeting.

36:05 - Sounds like Coyle hid his wrist injuries from the medical staff.
- I 100% believe that.

39:35 - Russo believes the core has grown tired of each other and believes sometimes it gets overblown, but he thinks the players are too busy pointing fingers instead of looking in the mirror.
- I'd buy that. The team really doesn't have anyone that could tell everyone else on the team that "I need more from you" and it would happen. I also have no clue how to feasibly fix it.

42:15 - Suter has yet to be able to put any weight on his injured leg.
- Not surprising considering that was the time frame that the team released awhile ago. I don't like hearing it, but nothing about a setback, so I guess it's no news is good news?

I'm as sure as some that the d-corps are safe with the build from defense out philosophy that gets some press with GMPF. What if his idea of an ideal defense isn't what MN currently has? Maybe he wants something similar to the Blues: all 6'0" or taller, 200+ lbs, and hit people? Trading Spurgeon and Brodin for a couple of (good) players like that would be a huge shakeup.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

When did the Wild start putting him on TV during intermissions (basically as an analyst)? I don't really remember him on tv much before 2 years ago.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
You know how a new GM could lay down the law?

He has a sit down meeting with Koivu where he says he is going to be ok with playing 3rd line center or else he doesnt have a problem asking him to waive the NMC clause or sit on the 4th line.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
When did the Wild start putting him on TV during intermissions (basically as an analyst)? I don't really remember him on tv much before 2 years ago.
He's been on for years.

I don't see where Koivu is a big problem. Just a year ago he had a kick ass year, and he ended reasonably well this year. He is not ideal to be a PP C, but does anyone think that Coyle would be a better choice? Staal is, obviously. I could be wrong, but I think he is better liked by the young core than Parise or Suter are.

Parise is a major problem, and will continue to be for years. Don't be fooled by his strong finish. Even if he stays healthy( highly unlikely), he has slowed down, and is a middle six player at best. Unlike Koivu, he is not a good defensive player. He commands a huge salary relative to his contributions, and also dominates the team as a personality in a way that must be eye rolling for some of the younger core. He IS the elephant in the room.

Suter is a smaller problem. He should have been playing less minutes, for years, but the coaching staffs refused to. He played less in NSH , and he had Weber as his partner. Suter is a terrific player, but a well rested Suter is even better. Dumba and Brodin are ready for prime time. Seeler looks to be a competent 3rd pairing guy. Time to cut Suter's TOI to under 24 min....and get him the hell off the ice after one minute on the PP! If anyone should be playing a full two minutes there, it should be Dumba.

Last edited:

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Couple thoughts about all of this new information.

1. People gotta stop complaining about Russo's analyzing. He's a great beat writer. Best in the NHL probably at gathering actual facts and reporting on the team. If you don't like what he has to say when it's his own opinion that's fine but literally everyone comes on here to do the same thing he gets paid to do. At the end of the day he grasps at the same straws we all do trying to connect the dots. None of us are Leipold, Fenton, or Bruce so we don't need to put too much stock in anyone's opinions but them, just something that's been bugging me. Just pretend he is that annoying poster on here and just ignore him if you don't like his opinions but don't say he's a bad beat writer.
2. I'm getting so sick of the locker room and the players in it and the players who have leadership roles on this team. Koivu and Parise need to except the fact that they are not the players that they used to be and it is time to sacrifice personal gain for the good of the team. Time is running out for them to win a cup and i'm so sick of them not putting the team first (from what it sounds like) and I feel like we've been hearing it for years now from players still on the team to players no longer on the team. Just look at what Vegas was able to accomplish when they got a group of guys together who just said F off to anyone and everyone who said they couldn't do something. Hockey takes 19 sometimes 20 players everyday working together not 2 0r 3 big heads.
3. So if Bruce wants Coyle at 2c and Koivu at 3c then what? Keep Staal at 1 and Ek at 4? Trade Staal and throw Ek in the fire? Something has to give because it doesn't make any sense in my brain. Trade Ek? Yeah that doesn't make sense. Not sure what to do there but weird. I do think it is time to switch Koivu out of the top 6 for Coyle. Coyle is the much better player at this point and it will allow Koivu to play a role he is absolutely suited for. Third line/Leader on Pk/No PP time/No end of game time. If I had to choose my Ideal top 6 for the start of next year it would involve some combination of Nino, Granlund, Zucker, Coyle, Staal (or replacement player if we trade him) Kunin, and Ek. Parise and Koivu can be third line players until their contracts run out as far as i'm concerned. It isn't their team anymore and they can shut up and play or not play. Why do we have to cater to Parise's every whim when he isn't living up to his end of the contract? Ridiculous and probably the best reason to think of for Fletcher being fired.
4. Let's stop complaining about Leipold when he is one of the few decent owners this state has for sports teams. Let's see, spends to the cap every year and his philosophy consists of wanting to put together a winning product and his "meddling" comes after 6 straight years of fantastic product and he only does it because he wants that badly to up his organization and bring a Stanley cup to the state of hockey. For shame CL for shame.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
You know how a new GM could lay down the law?

He has a sit down meeting with Koivu where he says he is going to be ok with playing 3rd line center or else he doesnt have a problem asking him to waive the NMC clause or sit on the 4th line.

Just to play devils advocate here. GMPF could play hardball with Koivu, but what if Koivu didn't like it and just up and retired? The Wild are stuck with his $5.5m cap hit (35+ contract). A buyout threat is meaningless for the same reason. I don't think that Koivu would do that; and would take a trade instead; but it is within the realm of possibility. So it has to be considered when dealing with him as a GM without and history to fall back on.

I also don't see either JEE or Coyle taking the 2C spot from Koivu next season on ability alone.

Parise is a major problem, and will continue to be for years. Don't be fooled by his strong finish. Even if he stays healthy( highly unlikely), he has slowed down, and is a middle six player at best. Unlike Koivu, he is not a good defensive player. He commands a huge salary relative to his contributions, and also dominates the team as a personality in a way that must be eye rolling for some of the younger core. He IS the elephant in the room.

That could be said about all the wings except Granny. I can't say who is better (when healthy) between Parise, Nino, Coyle, and Zucker after last season. It's not like we ever got to see them all on the ice together and healthy last year.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

1. People gotta stop complaining about Russo's analyzing. He's a great beat writer. Best in the NHL probably at gathering actual facts and reporting on the team. If you don't like what he has to say when it's his own opinion that's fine but literally everyone comes on here to do the same thing he gets paid to do. At the end of the day he grasps at the same straws we all do trying to connect the dots. None of us are Leipold, Fenton, or Bruce so we don't need to put too much stock in anyone's opinions but them, just something that's been bugging me. Just pretend he is that annoying poster on here and just ignore him if you don't like his opinions but don't say he's a bad beat writer.
2. I'm getting so sick of the locker room and the players in it and the players who have leadership roles on this team. Koivu and Parise need to except the fact that they are not the players that they used to be and it is time to sacrifice personal gain for the good of the team. Time is running out for them to win a cup and i'm so sick of them not putting the team first (from what it sounds like) and I feel like we've been hearing it for years now from players still on the team to players no longer on the team. Just look at what Vegas was able to accomplish when they got a group of guys together who just said F off to anyone and everyone who said they couldn't do something. Hockey takes 19 sometimes 20 players everyday working together not 2 0r 3 big heads.
3. So if Bruce wants Coyle at 2c and Koivu at 3c then what? Keep Staal at 1 and Ek at 4? Trade Staal and throw Ek in the fire? Something has to give because it doesn't make any sense in my brain. Trade Ek? Yeah that doesn't make sense. Not sure what to do there but weird. I do think it is time to switch Koivu out of the top 6 for Coyle. Coyle is the much better player at this point and it will allow Koivu to play a role he is absolutely suited for. Third line/Leader on Pk/No PP time/No end of game time. If I had to choose my Ideal top 6 for the start of next year it would involve some combination of Nino, Granlund, Zucker, Coyle, Staal (or replacement player if we trade him) Kunin, and Ek. Parise and Koivu can be third line players until their contracts run out as far as i'm concerned. It isn't their team anymore and they can shut up and play or not play. Why do we have to cater to Parise's every whim when he isn't living up to his end of the contract? Ridiculous and probably the best reason to think of for Fletcher being fired.
4. Let's stop complaining about Leipold when he is one of the few decent owners this state has for sports teams. Let's see, spends to the cap every year and his philosophy consists of wanting to put together a winning product and his "meddling" comes after 6 straight years of fantastic product and he only does it because he wants that badly to up his organization and bring a Stanley cup to the state of hockey. For shame CL for shame.

Yeah, this was the thing that made the least amount of sense to me. Koivu was a 58 point Selke nom 2 years ago; I know he dropped back a bit last year, but what could Coyle have possibly shown that would've supported him bumping Koivu down to the 3rd line? He was hurt for basically all of it.

Keeping Eriksson Ek on the 4th line for a 2nd consecutive year would be even more idiotic than doing it last year (which was dumb on its own).

Reactions: SomethingGeneric

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
That could be said about all the wings except Granny. I can't say who is better (when healthy) between Parise, Nino, Coyle, and Zucker after last season. It's not like we ever got to see them all on the ice together and healthy last year.

Nino and Coyle, 2 years ago, produced like top line wingers (I think Zucker just missed the cut).

Zucker, last year, produced like a top line winger.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Yeah, this was the thing that made the least amount of sense to me. Koivu was a 58 point Selke nom 2 years ago; I know he dropped back a bit last year, but what could Coyle have possibly shown that would've supported him bumping Koivu down to the 3rd line? He was hurt for basically all of it.

Keeping Eriksson Ek on the 4th line for a 2nd consecutive year would be even more idiotic than doing it last year (which was dumb on its own).
I think BB wanted Staal, then Coyle, then Koivu, then Cullen and JEE in Iowa.

Reactions: SomethingGeneric

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Then I'd ask again, what did Coyle do be put in the spot? Unless they were talking about the end of the season and the beginning, but even then, the question is still applicable.
My only guess was that he liked Coyle better at center if he could feed his line more o-zone starts while Koivu's line gets more of the d-zone starts. I can't see an argument for Coyle actually being better than Koivu at center.

I can't come up with lines that look much better than what we had, though. I guess...

Parise - Staal - Granlund
Zucker - Coyle - Nino
JEE - Koivu - Rau/Mitchell/Ennis?
Foligno - Cullen - Winnik

I dunno. I don't hate that approach, but if we were taking it I'd rather try...

Parise - Staal - Granlund
Zucker - JEE - Coyle
Nino/Greenway/FA - Koivu - Kunin/Nino/FA

Mix the wingers to one's content.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

I don't blame Russo for speculating and throwing out ideas any more than I blame Elliotte Friedman for it. Especially when he's trying to "build the brand" at the Athletic and all that, more power to him seeking all available avenues.

It just makes it more difficult as a Wild fan to extract reliable info from the morass. If he says "I think they look at moving Dumba" should I interpret that as "I have heard actual rumors that make me think this is actually being discussed" or "as someone who follows the team closely, this makes sense to me." He's really good at the former, but he's no better at the latter than anyone on these boards. And that's fine, especially since he admits it pretty frequently, but it's hard to untangle those two types of data. The signal to noise ratio is just lower than it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad