Confirmed with Link: Paul Fenton to be named GM of Minnesota Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think the crux of the matter is that you have a little (or a lot) more confidence in the team, as currently configured, performing like a playoff caliber team for the rest of this year than I do. I think we're basically DOA right now.

Meh the main problem with the team imo is they are all stuck in their own heads because of the TDL. I think that when it passes whoever is left standing loosens up and they start playing hockey again.

I'm still somewhat expecting some surprise buy from Fenton.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Meh the main problem with the team imo is they are all stuck in their own heads because of the TDL. I think that when it passes whoever is left standing loosens up and they start playing hockey again.

I'm still somewhat expecting some surprise buy from Fenton.

Trouble is they're playing hockey against Nashville, Tampa Bay, Washington, San Jose and Vegas instead of Detroit, New Jersey, Philly and Anaheim and they're still doing it without Dumba and Koivu.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Trouble is they're playing hockey against Nashville, Tampa Bay, Washington, San Jose and Vegas instead of Detroit, New Jersey, Philly and Anaheim and they're still doing it without Dumba and Koivu.

They've also played better against the better teams this year. I'm not saying it will be easy, but if it doesn't get completely blown up they'll be within 4p of the Playoffs at the end of the season.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
They've also played better against the better teams this year. I'm not saying it will be easy, but if it doesn't get completely blown up they'll be within 4p of the Playoffs at the end of the season.

The team isn't the same as it has been all year.

And even playing better against better teams, they were never this consistently atrocious against bad ones.

I would bet that if the team we have now is the team that we have on Tuesday, that we won't be anywhere close 4 points out of the playoffs.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So after the state tournaments GMPF needs to drain the "this is our ice" rink. Get a witch-doctor to expel the evil spirits the angry geese for calling them mud ducks. Then have water imported from Iowa to make a completely new ice sheet at the X. Just to be safe he better do the same thing at the practice rink too.

:laugh::help::popcorn:

Reactions: 907campbell

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
So after the state tournaments GMPF needs to drain the "this is our ice" rink. Get a witch-doctor to expel the evil spirits the angry geese for calling them mud ducks. Then have water imported from Iowa to make a completely new ice sheet at the X. Just to be safe he better do the same thing at the practice rink too.

:laugh::help::popcorn:
They sent STH's small vials of water last summer with a certificate of authenticity claiming it was a little part of the ice sheet from last year. I looked at ours a couple weeks ago, and it's starting to get little chunks in it....kinda like kitty litter. Have no clue what to do with this thing. It would be different if they won the Cup on that sheet of ice. Perhaps it's time to do some crazy ritual with it.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Well you're saying that the only reason he picked the Jets is because they have young talent. Disregarding that he's lived there for the last 8 years and they threw a boat load of money at him. He has ties to the area.

I'm wondering why this future UFA signs with MN in 3-5 years when they have just some young talent and there is no other reason? There is no tax benefits (like FLA), there isn't a bright lights/big city draw, no storied team history, not team that has been close to a Cup in the last few years (we've been tanking afterall to get these high quality players), this isn't LA fun in the sun type of weather.

I'm sure Wheeler also picked the Jets for money! And I'd expect that to be a motivator for any NHL player. What kind of money above x would the Wild have to pay a player if the team is on the rise with good young players really depends on him, his family situation, his personality.

I think the Wild has developed a reputation for stability and class. That appeals to people and it's a cut above many ownership situations/other franchises. Minneapolis/St.Paul is a nicer metro than some others as well and offers a lot. There's an optimistic case for any prospective UFA and that is the GM's (or his reps, not sure what kind of salesman Fenton is) job to sell.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I think the Wild has developed a reputation for stability and class. That appeals to people and it's a cut above many ownership situations/other franchises. Minneapolis/St.Paul is a nicer metro than some others as well and offers a lot. There's an optimistic case for any prospective UFA and that is the GM's (or his reps, not sure what kind of salesman Fenton is) job to sell.

Ya, I don't buy that completely. Minnesota does not appeal to a Mid 20-30 year old player who is single/no kids. People in that age range want to play in large cities or warm regions. They don't care about things like "best state to raise a family in" or "best healthcare in the US" type awards Minnesota receives. What they do see is Minnesota is #3 for taxes and we have the biggest temp swing in basically the world outside of some random places in Russia. These are guy who have a ton of money (or are getting it) and want to have a good time. Where are they doing that in St. Paul, let alone Minneapolis? That doesn't even tie in, if the player is wanting to "win now" and then settle their personal life down after dedicating their life to the sport. Or, as we saw with JT, choose to go to your boyhood dream team when you get a chance to. The Wild didn't have the luxury of already feeding into that system of idolization for the younger kids. Hopefully that tide is turning as we reach year 20 shortly.

What a family guy sees is everything you're mentioning above though. They see stability and a good place to raise kids. Large airport nearby to get family in and out from anywhere in the world. But to get those types of players, you're clearly going after the 30+ vets and not the 27 year old phenom who is living it up in New York, LA or Chicago.

And "nicer" is definitely subjective in terms to how the Twin Cities metro is to others.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Ya, I don't buy that completely. Minnesota does not appeal to a Mid 20-30 year old player who is single/no kids. People in that age range want to play in large cities or warm regions. They don't care about things like "best state to raise a family in" or "best healthcare in the US" type awards Minnesota receives. What they do see is Minnesota is #3 for taxes and we have the biggest temp swing in basically the world outside of some random places in Russia. These are guy who have a ton of money (or are getting it) and want to have a good time. Where are they doing that in St. Paul, let alone Minneapolis? That doesn't even tie in, if the player is wanting to "win now" and then settle their personal life down after dedicating their life to the sport. Or, as we saw with JT, choose to go to your boyhood dream team when you get a chance to. The Wild didn't have the luxury of already feeding into that system of idolization for the younger kids. Hopefully that tide is turning as we reach year 20 shortly.

What a family guy sees is everything you're mentioning above though. They see stability and a good place to raise kids. Large airport nearby to get family in and out from anywhere in the world. But to get those types of players, you're clearly going after the 30+ vets and not the 27 year old phenom who is living it up in New York, LA or Chicago.

And "nicer" is definitely subjective in terms to how the Twin Cities metro is to others.

Yeah, it obviously wouldn't be my first choice, as a Minnesotan who lives in New York. But every guy is different. Vancouver is expensive and the travel sucks. Edmonton is a hell-hole. Calgary is super boring. Winnipeg, St. Louis, Detroit suck. Nashville is full of morons. Philly has the worst people on earth. Florida has fire ants, geriatrics, thieves and barely-functioning maniacs. Boston is arrogant, dull, and racist. Phoenix is like a frozen pizza that you left in the oven for six hours. Montreal has worse weather than Minneapolis. Toronto is a nicer version of Buffalo. Ottawa is a heap of bland-looking trash. San Jose is full of subhuman computer jocks. Greater LA is falling off the face of the earth. Denver is filling up with stoned jerks. Dallas is nothing but ugly buildings, inedible steaks, and football lovers. Vegas is an abomination. Raleigh is a tar pit. DC has some cool things until you remember that Ted Cruz and Mitch McConnell live there too. Columbus is the most mediocre place in the world.

Chicago is ok. Can't really blame anyone for just quitting hockey and moving to the countryside.

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yeah, it obviously wouldn't be my first choice, as a Minnesotan who lives in New York. But every guy is different. Vancouver is expensive and the travel sucks. Edmonton is a hell-hole. Calgary is super boring. Winnipeg, St. Louis, Detroit suck. Nashville is full of morons. Philly has the worst people on earth. Florida has fire ants, geriatrics, thieves and barely-functioning maniacs. Boston is arrogant, dull, and racist. Phoenix is like a frozen pizza that you left in the oven for six hours. Montreal has worse weather than Minneapolis. Toronto is a nicer version of Buffalo. Ottawa is a heap of bland-looking trash. San Jose is full of subhuman computer jocks. Greater LA is falling off the face of the earth. Denver is filling up with stoned jerks. Dallas is nothing but ugly buildings, inedible steaks, and football lovers. Vegas is an abomination. Raleigh is a tar pit. DC has some cool things until you remember that Ted Cruz and Mitch McConnell live there too. Columbus is the most mediocre place in the world.

Chicago is ok. Can't really blame anyone for just quitting hockey and moving to the countryside.

Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah. This will not stand.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, he has determined that the young forward core isn't getting done, and has decided to move on. His most recent trades have opened up some cap space, and made it likely that he would miss the playoffs, which will increase the value of our draft picks. He has determined that our D is a strength, and has left it intact. The cap space created by the trades will make it possible for him to sign a big name FA, or sign young players(Greenway, Ek, Kunin, Fiala) to long term contracts at reasonable rates.

Crazy enough to work? Certainly, trading for prospects rather than picks will hasten a rebuild.

I can't argue that our young forward core disappointed, and never developed into consistent forces(possible exception of Granlund).

Reactions: Dee Oh Cee

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Wow. I got a bad feeling about this guy right from the introductory press conference but I never expected he could be this incompetent and stupid. Unbelievable.

He's bleeding so much value in these Pejorative Slured one-for-one deals where he gets a vastly inferior and vastly less valuable player back.

Destruction of a franchise.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Fenton trades:

1st line RW Granlund for 2nd line LW Fiala
2nd line RW Coyle for 3rd line LW Donato
3rd line LW Nino for 4th line center Rask

The Wild currently have 5 top-9 LWs. We have 0 top-9 RWs that are not rookies. Koivu will not start next year. Staal will probably not be back. JEE will be our starting 1 C next season.

This guy is terrible.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
So, he has determined that the young forward core isn't getting done, and has decided to move on. His most recent trades have opened up some cap space, and made it likely that he would miss the playoffs, which will increase the value of our draft picks. He has determined that our D is a strength, and has left it intact. The cap space created by the trades will make it possible for him to sign a big name FA, or sign young players(Greenway, Ek, Kunin, Fiala) to long term contracts at reasonable rates.

Crazy enough to work? Certainly, trading for prospects rather than picks will hasten a rebuild.

I can't argue that our young forward core disappointed, and never developed into consistent forces(possible exception of Granlund).
I don't necessarily have a problem with blowing up the core. It's the returns ( or lack of ) that's he's getting for them....especially Granlund.

Reactions: Engebretson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad