Value of: Paul Byron

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
You can’t be serious. Do you even have an asset that gets a true #1 defenceman?

Byron offers next to no value is a proposal for an impact defenceman.
agreed BUT habs do have assets for no1 dman. lots. they won't give them up though. not yet. maybe next year, after another deep draft

Reactions: Steeler23

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Well, Islanders offer Leddy for Domi as a base, how would you think about that?

I would say that I am not sure I would ready to let Domi go unless I could get a good Center in another trade and that he holds more value but Leddy could be an interesting upgrade on LHD. Hence if you find a third party to provide that center by spending NYI picks I would agree ;)
And come on except Fowler, none of the Ds listed above have a Domi like value (Currently) ;)

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Always hard to gauge... depends if the teams want to rebuild, among those I wonder if the following would be available (MTL would have to add picks for most of them but I feel like Byron/Lekhonen could be used in the context of the trade):

Cam Fowler (if ANA rebuilds)
Gostisbehere (if PHI decides that they do not need him based on the new players incoming)
Vlasic (cap reasons)
Murray (CBJ needs offensive depth)
Gustafson (apparently CHI fans want to move him for a while)
Toews (D): heard he is good but never saw him play, would NYI trade him ?

What is happening to H. Fleury in CAR by the way ?
Isles won’t trade Toews for anything short of a blown away offer. You can have Hickey if you want to offer Byron.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
He was sent down due to Dobson being ready. It’s moreso a numbers game then him being a cap dump.

I mean, Montreal can call Alzner a numbers game thing too at that point. At the end of the day the guy is in the AHL.

But Montreal definitely isn't trading Byron for Hickey.

Reactions: Gravity

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I mean, Montreal can call Alzner a numbers game thing too at that point. At the end of the day the guy is in the AHL.

But Montreal definitely isn't trading Byron for Hickey.
If you want to look at contracts however, Alzner is in the AHL for 4.625 AAV for an additional 2 seasons (including this year its $13.875 plus a M-NTC) vs Thomas Hickey at $2.5m for an additional 2 seasons (including this year its $7.5 with no contract restrictions). Major difference in contact value for the 2 guys who are both in the AHL. Hickey can most certainly play a bottom 6 role on a team and be effective. If Dobson gets sent back, he’ll be back up and be able to be productive.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
If you want to look at contracts however, Alzner is in the AHL for 4.625 AAV for an additional 2 seasons (including this year its $13.875 plus a M-NTC) vs Thomas Hickey at $2.5m for an additional 2 seasons (including this year its $7.5 with no contract restrictions). Major difference in contact value for the 2 guys who are both in the AHL. Hickey can most certainly play a bottom 6 role on a team and be effective. If Dobson gets sent back, he’ll be back up and be able to be productive.

I never said Alzner's contract wasn't worse than Hickey's.

and Alzner can play a bottom pair role too, Montreal would just rather be playing more mobile guys since their system relies on a lot of movement.

At the end of the day, we're talking about veterans that have cleared waivers and are in the AHL. It doesn't take a genius to surmise that Montreal ain't moving Byron for one.

Reactions: Gravity and BLNY

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

and Alzner can play a bottom pair role too, Montreal would just rather be playing more mobile guys since their system relies on a lot of movement.

At the end of the day, we're talking about veterans that have cleared waivers and are in the AHL. It doesn't take a genius to surmise that Montreal ain't moving Byron for one.

I don’t think MB had faith in Alzner playing in the top 6 or they don’t sign Chariot. He’s not exactly a mobile Dman and adding that cap hit on top of burying Alzner is a ton of money for a bottom pairing upgrade

Last edited:

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I don’t MB had faith in Alzner playing in the top 6 or they don’t sign Chariot. He’s not exactly a mobile Dman and adding that cap hit on top of burying Alzner is a ton of money for a bottom pairing upgrade

Chiarot has been pretty mobile in Montreal, its his decision making that is iffy.

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
Always hard to gauge... depends if the teams want to rebuild, among those I wonder if the following would be available (MTL would have to add picks for most of them but I feel like Byron/Lekhonen could be used in the context of the trade):

Toews (D): heard he is good but never saw him play, would NYI trade him ?

What is happening to H. Fleury in CAR by the way ?

He is good and PP#1 material, you don't trade that

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Maybe something around Byron + 2nd for Puljujarvi + short dump.
Uhm. What? Why is Montreal adding a 2nd and taking a cap dump? Byron is a 20 guy who has blazing speed and kills penalties. Puljujarvi at this point is just a giant question mark.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014

The OP actually thought that Byron would even be a talking piece for Devon Toews which is where that got thrown out the window from the beginning. Toews is trending towards a top pairing d-man with great offensive vision and like what was stated above. Byron on the other hand has underproduced Josh Bailey (who has yet to reach above 18 goals in a single season) but is somehow more valued then him to return a high end offensive defenseman? Even with the surplus of LHD around the league, that's just not going to happen unless Byron can put up atleast 55-60 points the next 2 seasons and greatly increase offensive output.
Alzer on the other hand is a massive cap dump and makes Cody Ceci look like he has PK Subban level skating ability. Hickey could have been picked up for free when he was originally sent for waivers so why would the Islanders trade for double the cap hit and in return get a guy who's a pylon?

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
The OP actually thought that Byron would even be a talking piece for Devon Toews which is where that got thrown out the window from the beginning. Toews is trending towards a top pairing d-man with great offensive vision and like what was stated above. Byron on the other hand has underproduced Josh Bailey (who has yet to reach above 18 goals in a single season) but is somehow more valued then him to return a high end offensive defenseman? Even with the surplus of LHD around the league, that's just not going to happen unless Byron can put up atleast 55-60 points the next 2 seasons and greatly increase offensive output.
Alzer on the other hand is a massive cap dump and makes Cody Ceci look like he has PK Subban level skating ability. Hickey could have been picked up for free when he was originally sent for waivers so why would the Islanders trade for double the cap hit and in return get a guy who's a pylon?

You didn't even read what I wrote.

I was specifically talking about Byron for Hickey. I was not proposing Hickey for Alzner. I said Montreal isn't going to consider Hickey for Byron.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Uhm. What? Why is Montreal adding a 2nd and taking a cap dump? Byron is a 20 guy who has blazing speed and kills penalties. Puljujarvi at this point is just a giant question mark.

Puljujarvi is doing good in the liiga, he's still a project. Byron's cap hit is pretty steep, so taking salary back would be necessary. It's a wild gamble that could pay off for the habs, we have 2x 2nd. Puljujarvi might still bust but in my opionion he could still turn out to be a decent 3rd line complimentary goal scorer. I'd prefer his size and RH over Byron who is kinda Redundant with Lehkonen, Cousins in the line up.

Maybe having Lehkonen, Armia, Kotkaniemi could help the kid learn english and save his career in NA

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Puljujarvi is doing good in the liiga, he's still a project. Byron's cap hit is pretty steep, so taking salary back would be necessary. It's a wild gamble that could pay off for the habs, we have 2x 2nd. Puljujarvi could still turn out to be a mid 6 3rd line complimentary goal scorer. I'd prefer his size and RH over Byron who is kinda Redundant with Lehkonen, Cousins in the line up.
Nothing in your reply justifies having to add to Byron for a project player who isn’t even under contract. And Byron’s cap hit is $3.4m. I’d hardly call that steep considering what he brings

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
The Habs are looking for a puck-moving defenseman in exchange for speedy winger Paul Byron.

Byron is owed $3.4M over the next four years, so Montreal can take a similar cap hit.

Youre not getting a top 4 dman for Paul Byron lol. Cause thats what Montreal needs not another bottom pairing guy.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
You didn't even read what I wrote.

I was specifically talking about Byron for Hickey. I was not proposing Hickey for Alzner. I said Montreal isn't going to consider Hickey for Byron.
The whole point of offering Hickey for Byron was simply because neither players have any sort of value to bring back anything substantial. Byron is realistically a 3rd line player on a majority of teams, maybe a 2nd line or 1st line winger if the other 2 players alongside him are game breakers. He may have speed and is quality on the PK but he's undersized and not a game breaker.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
The whole point of offering Hickey for Byron was simply because neither players have any sort of value to bring back anything substantial. Byron is realistically a 3rd line player on a majority of teams, maybe a 2nd line or 1st line winger if the other 2 players alongside him are game breakers. He may have speed and is quality on the PK but he's undersized and not a game breaker.

You must understand that there's a difference in value between a "realistically a 3rd line player on a majority of teams, maybe a 2nd line or 1st line winger if the other 2 players alongside him are game breakers" and a D-man that has cleared waivers and is in the AHL. Please tell me you understand that.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
You must understand that there's a difference in value between a "realistically a 3rd line player on a majority of teams, maybe a 2nd line or 1st line winger if the other 2 players alongside him are game breakers" and a D-man that has cleared waivers and is in the AHL. Please tell me you understand that.
Explain to me how the value of Paul Byron would even be comparable to Devon Toews or even Nick Leddy?

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Explain to me how the value of Paul Byron would even be comparable to Devon Toews or even Nick Leddy?

He's not worth Toews.

I'm the wrong person to ask about Leddy, since I haven't been impressed with his play for the last few seasons.

He's still worth more than Hickey.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
If Byron gets traded it's as part of a package for a true #1 LD, since Bryon alone would not get someone like that in return.

:laugh:

He's a third liner with wheels, defensive capability and some scoring touch. Nothing more, nothing less. He's a fine piece to have, but he belongs nowhere near a "package for a true 1LD." This delusion that Byron is some sort of premium asset has gone on for years now.

You'd get a package of picks, probably headlined by a 2nd rounder. And, frankly, the teams that would like to acquire a player like Byron (contenders), likely don't view his new contract favorably. I don't think it's likely he's traded to begin with.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Maybe something around Byron + 2nd for Puljujarvi + short dump.

Puljujarvi is doing good in the liiga, he's still a project. Byron's cap hit is pretty steep, so taking salary back would be necessary. It's a wild gamble that could pay off for the habs, we have 2x 2nd. Puljujarvi might still bust but in my opionion he could still turn out to be a decent 3rd line complimentary goal scorer. I'd prefer his size and RH over Byron who is kinda Redundant with Lehkonen, Cousins in the line up.

Maybe having Lehkonen, Armia, Kotkaniemi could help the kid learn english and save his career in NA

I really like Lekhonen but he's no Byron. Will Lehks ever score 20? I don't think so. Byron is always a threat on the PK and keeps opposing teams honest. Puljujarvi on the other hand is a handful of moldy magic beans. Puls needs to score to be of any use to a team and he doesn't even do that very much. Scoring Wingers tend to peak early yet JP is bucking that trend. He just may not have the toolbox to be a successful NHL'er.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad