Value of: Paul Byron

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The whole point of offering Hickey for Byron was simply because neither players have any sort of value to bring back anything substantial. Byron is realistically a 3rd line player on a majority of teams, maybe a 2nd line or 1st line winger if the other 2 players alongside him are game breakers. He may have speed and is quality on the PK but he's undersized and not a game breaker.

Hickey is a proven capdump.

Byron is not.

Huge difference!!!

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I never said Alzner's contract wasn't worse than Hickey's.

and Alzner can play a bottom pair role too, Montreal would just rather be playing more mobile guys since their system relies on a lot of movement.

At the end of the day, we're talking about veterans that have cleared waivers and are in the AHL. It doesn't take a genius to surmise that Montreal ain't moving Byron for one.
That's fine.

Can we all just stop involving the Islanders and Nick Leddy any time Byron gets discussed? Islanders don't need Byron and there's no way Leddy gets traded for a package where he's the main piece. There's nothing new to discuss here, as it's already been discussed a billion times and it just dissolves to neither side being able to come to terms.

We'll keep Leddy, you keep Byron.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
That's fine.

Can we all just stop involving the Islanders and Nick Leddy any time Byron gets discussed? Islanders don't need Byron and there's no way Leddy gets traded for a package where he's the main piece. There's nothing new to discuss here, as it's already been discussed a billion times and it just dissolves to neither side being able to come to terms.

We'll keep Leddy, you keep Byron.
Near as I can tell no one suggested Leddy for Byron in this thread.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
MacKenzie Weegar finished him. I have a feeling his best years (1) are behind him. Probably worth a 3rd and cap dump by the TDL unless he turns it around.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
If you want to look at contracts however, Alzner is in the AHL for 4.625 AAV for an additional 2 seasons (including this year its $13.875 plus a M-NTC) vs Thomas Hickey at $2.5m for an additional 2 seasons (including this year its $7.5 with no contract restrictions). Major difference in contact value for the 2 guys who are both in the AHL. Hickey can most certainly play a bottom 6 role on a team and be effective. If Dobson gets sent back, he’ll be back up and be able to be productive.

so what you’re telling us is he’s a cap dump, just not as big a cap dump as Alzner is

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
spot on.

maybe a 2nd + 3rd on the right team. A trade similar to Shaw’s deal

I would value Byron slightly higher than Shaw (plays more games per season) but I agree about something around a 2nd + 2nd max (most likely a 3rd). What team do ou see on the other side of the trade ?

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Russell for Byron could be intriguing... but that damn NMC tho.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Decent player but I don't like his contract. IMO, he's gonna be one of those guys who's game falls off a cliff shortly. He's a very opportunistic goal scorer that relies on breakaway chances. I'd actually value him more if he was a rental than having 4 years to go.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I would value Byron slightly higher than Shaw (plays more games per season) but I agree about something around a 2nd + 2nd max (most likely a 3rd). What team do ou see on the other side of the trade ?

I don’t know. A team that needs leadership and depth.

Russell for Byron could be intriguing... but that damn NMC tho.

Alzner for Puljujarvi would also be very intriguing

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Decent player but I don't like his contract. IMO, he's gonna be one of those guys who's game falls off a cliff shortly. He's a very opportunistic goal scorer that relies on breakaway chances. I'd actually value him more if he was a rental than having 4 years to go.
True, he's very opportunistic but he also creates most of his chances on his own with his game breaking speed. He also scores a lot of goals in high traffic, if you watched videos of all his goals. A good amount also comes from rebounds very near the blue paint. 4 years was probably a year too long, but he accumulated some pretty good stats over the last 3 seasons and the cap hit isn't very high. In fact, if you compare his contract, it's very similar to players Connolly, Roussel, Komarov, Grabner, etc. It's a pretty fair deal if you ask me considering I would pick Byron ahead of most of the comparables.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

What?

Shaw just returned a 2nd + 7th, and is 3 years younger than Byron on a nearly identical contract. He also has 7 dougle-digit goal seasons to Byron's 4. How does Byron suddenly command two 2nd's?

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
What?

Shaw just returned a 2nd + 7th, and is 3 years younger than Byron on a nearly identical contract. He also has 7 dougle-digit goal seasons to Byron's 4. How does Byron suddenly command two 2nd's?

+3rd

Nevermind Shaw's concussion issues.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
What?

Shaw returned 2nd + 3rd, he has better offense but I feel Byron is the better player overall and he does not have the concussion risk Shaw has...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad