Player Discussion Paul Byron

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
So yeah it's worked out amazingly with Byron, but handing out "long" contracts to 4th liners (Which Byron was at the time) is still not a great idea.

Byron's contract never was a problem imo. It's just over the max you can bury in the AHL. If it doesn't work you send him back to the AHL and it doesn't cost you much on the cap. If it works then you have a player on a good contract. A rich team like Montréal can afford to do that.

The problem i personally had with this signature was our bottom 6 was too small and soft. And signing Flynn, Mitchell and Byron to mid term contracts over the max you can bury in the AHL was to me a 100% clear indication that the management and/or coaching staff did not realize that.

I might be wrong but i would not be surprised if the turn around we did at the dead line this year was mostly because of CJ. CJ always liked to have some big guys in the bottom 6. It's strange the the minute he is named our coach bang we get bigger/grittier in the bottom 6. Something we have failed to do the past 3 years.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
cut.jpeg

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I will. But not after 1 year. Do you know the number of times in my life people shoved into my face something i said after 1 year just to look ridiculous 2 or 3 seasons after?

Byron looks like a good guy and i hope he'll do well for many years to come. But we are not there yet.

1M a year is not much. Even if he were only producing 7 or 8 goals a year.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Meet the Fan Partly Responsible for the Montreal Canadiens Picking Up Paul Byron Off Waivers

“Byron did it again!”

That’s the first thought that comes to Sagar Nathwani’s mind every time his phone is bombarded with notifications. That’s because every time Paul Byron scores a goal for the Montreal Canadiens, Reddit’s popular /r/hockey community acknowledges the 20 year-old university student and Calgary Flames fan with a simple message: thanks /u/galaxy91122.

http://www.allaboutthehabs.ca/meet-...-canadiens-picking-up-paul-byron-off-waivers/

Last edited:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Montreal Canadiens forward Paul Byron has come a long way since being considered too small to play in the NHL. Standing at 5’7″ and around 153 pounds, Byron is one of the league’s smallest players. However, his blazing speed is among the league’s best which has brought him a long way. He is now a 20-goal scorer who brings something to the Habs game, every night.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/03/20/paul-byron-speed-hard-work-success/

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I can't imagine how sour I would have felt about this season if the Habs had dressed Hudon instead of Byron. I'm pretty sure Julien would agree.

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
Even at the time of the signing, this was a no-risk thing. It's 1.16M. For guy that's 26 years old, a great shot suppression forward at ES. Great shot suppression and an offensive threat on the PK. That's money well spent, whether he scores 20 goals, or 10 goals, or even 5 goals. As long as he has those wheels, he's gonna be more valuable than his caphit. And if the wheels come off, you can bury him in the AHL

Moving away from the contract talk: I think he really benefited from his brief stint with Galchenyuk and Radulov earlier in the season. They say confidence and creativity are contagious, and I'd believe it. Since then, it seems to me that he's been being more willing to handle the puck and make plays, and it's paying dividends. I'm seeing skills and smarts that I didn't even know he had

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Even at the time of the signing, this was a no-risk thing. It's 1.16M. For guy that's 26 years old, a great shot suppression forward at ES. Great shot suppression and an offensive threat on the PK. That's money well spent, whether he scores 20 goals, or 10 goals, or even 5 goals. As long as he has those wheels, he's gonna be more valuable than his caphit. And if the wheels come off, you can bury him in the AHL

Moving away from the contract talk: I think he really benefited from his brief stint with Galchenyuk and Radulov earlier in the season. They say confidence and creativity are contagious, and I'd believe it. Since then, it seems to me that he's been being more willing to handle the puck and make plays, and it's paying dividends. I'm seeing skills and smarts that I didn't even know he had

Agreed, in particular I'm impressed with his ability to carry the puck through the neutral zone. It's not an easy task even for centres, but Byron's speed and underrated smarts make him quite effective at it. I think it is a big reason why we've been seeing him more and more on the powerplay since he's capable of gaining the zone and retrieving the puck.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Byron's contract never was a problem imo. It's just over the max you can bury in the AHL. If it doesn't work you send him back to the AHL and it doesn't cost you much on the cap. If it works then you have a player on a good contract. A rich team like Montréal can afford to do that.

The problem i personally had with this signature was our bottom 6 was too small and soft. And signing Flynn, Mitchell and Byron to mid term contracts over the max you can bury in the AHL was to me a 100% clear indication that the management and/or coaching staff did not realize that.

I might be wrong but i would not be surprised if the turn around we did at the dead line this year was mostly because of CJ. CJ always liked to have some big guys in the bottom 6. It's strange the the minute he is named our coach bang we get bigger/grittier in the bottom 6. Something we have failed to do the past 3 years.

In theory yes you can always just bury the 4th liner for the remaining years, but in practice it just doesn't happen. The coach is always going to go with the experienced 4th liner over the young prospect despite the fact that it would make little to no difference overall. For example, had we not signed Flynn and simply had Andrighetto play all the games Flynn did our record over the past 2 seasons is unlikely to have been much different. But Andrighetto would've gotten a lot more experience, probably have much more confidence, and likely have been a better asset then when he was traded.

There's always the opportunity cost to consider, by signing 4th liners to longer deals you clog up the roster with guys who prevent the young guys from gaining NHL experience.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
This season he has pretty much been a top 6 player. Hopefully he can keep it up as he is on a steal of a contract.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Meet the Fan Partly Responsible for the Montreal Canadiens Picking Up Paul Byron Off Waivers

“Byron did it again!â€

That’s the first thought that comes to Sagar Nathwani’s mind every time his phone is bombarded with notifications. That’s because every time Paul Byron scores a goal for the Montreal Canadiens, Reddit’s popular /r/hockey community acknowledges the 20 year-old university student and Calgary Flames fan with a simple message: thanks /u/galaxy91122.

http://www.allaboutthehabs.ca/meet-...-canadiens-picking-up-paul-byron-off-waivers/

ha that's awesome

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

“Byron did it again!â€

Great read!

Tonight, I will smoke a "Sagar" in your name :)

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Dressing one doesnt exclude dressing the other.

I think it does. If the Habs dress Byron there's no need for Hudon...he'd be taking the place of someone else who's bigger and/or better defensively. than Hudon.
Another thing: If the Habs were to include one or the other in a trade for Duchene, the Avs would much rather have Byron. Who wouldn't? He's the better player by far.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Congrats to Breakaway Byron on the Habs Masterton nom and his first 20 goal season! Can't believe how quick this guy is.

I made a video to celebrate "Breakaway Byron" in response to Sagar Nathwani’s Youtube sensation. Hope you guys like it!

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Dressing one doesnt exclude dressing the other.
Byron? Hudon?`

It can and would. There's a limit of 20, including two goaltenders. Judging from Byron's 20 goals (not including those in shootouts) the substitution of Hudon would have cost the Habs points in the standings. Moreover, Hudon could not match Byron at penalty killing because he's much slower.

If I thought Hudon was as talented as Byron or more so I wouldn't mind. But I JUST DON'T SEE IT! He isn't Richard or Lafleur or Lemaire or Houle or Richer going incognito. He's ordinaire!

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Well tonight we saw that Byron is not Sydney Crosby :laugh: Nice attempt at that one-handed shot in breakaway, it would have been funny if it had worked :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad