Value of: Paul Byron generic value

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
I would argue his value would be higher than Plekanecs was last year. If Montreal was to retain salary, even the most cap strapped teams would be able to afford him. Than alone would make his value higher than another winger with similar numbers

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Byron's value increases due to how many teams would like to add him. I say his value is two 2nd round picks. I know it may seem steep but there are likely a few teams that line up for him. His salary and what he brings holds a lot of value. Fitting him in the salary cap is very easy and adding his speed, goal scoring, and overall game is something a few teams line-up for.

I don't suspect the Habs are shopping him but if you want him for your playoff run, he's not going to come cheap cause you will have to outbid the other team. Similar to Pleky. I can remember so many people on these boards who said Pleky is worth a 4th rounder but got a 2nd. Supply and demand dictates the price. Byron's combination of speed, goal scoring ability, and salary has a lot of value in this league.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would argue his value would be higher than Plekanecs was last year. If Montreal was to retain salary, even the most cap strapped teams would be able to afford him. Than alone would make his value higher than another winger with similar numbers

Retaining salary on a guy who has $1.17M cap hit? At the moment, each and every single team can add Byron. Habs are not retaining salary.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Yeah he is a good player and can play anywhere in the top 9 score 15 to 20 and can pk ,he should for sure have that kind of value and maybe more

Just have to point out, I love Byron but he is not a guy you want to have on your top line.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
There could be a sneaky bidding war for him he can play anywhere in the lineup and in any situation, a lot of teams could see him as a missing piece that wouldn't disrupt the lineup too much.

I'd say he's worth a 2nd + 3rd but if a bunch of teams are in on it wouldn't be shocked to see two 2nds or a late 1st

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just have to point out, I love Byron but he is not a guy you want to have on your top line.

Not all teams stack up their lines in order of talent. Under the right situation, Byron can be on the top line if he fits with the right line-mates. Does Hyman deserve to be on the 1st line for the Leafs? How about Wilson with the Caps?

You should change your post to say, he is not the guy who should play on the PP.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You never know, teams might get pretty tight to the cap

Cap increased by $5M this year. Too many teams with lots of space. But yeah, there might be a few teams that make a trade putting them up against the cap. Who had the less cap space last year? What was it? I bet you they could fit Byron in. And that was last year where the cap was $5M less.

Going to take a bit for agents to catch up on the available cap space. And who knows how much it goes up next year. Future UFA's and RFA's are going to get paid! The days of a annual $2M cap increase are over.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal

While I do agree with you...neither is Grabner, or even Tatar for that matter.
At the end of the day, it'll depend on what kind of season he has until the deadline. If he's on-pace for another 20-25 goal season, while also getting key PK minutes, then I can see him getting a 2nd + prospect. Hopefully, Bergevin can maximize the return.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There could be a sneaky bidding war for him he can play anywhere in the lineup and in any situation, a lot of teams could see him as a missing piece that wouldn't disrupt the lineup too much.

I'd say he's worth a 2nd + 3rd but if a bunch of teams are in on it wouldn't be shocked to see two 2nds or a late 1st

I find it hard to gauge but his name has been brought up a few times and I even heard some say they would prefer Byron over Patch. 2- 2nd round picks or late 1st seems right to me but who knows. I do know Bergevin values him and will try to re-sign him more likely. I guess it depends on what he ask for and how our season goes.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Have to cash in on his value, they're not going to win anything this year so they'd be smart to move

Agreed. I would not be liquidating our assets but I would be interested in trading Patch, Byron, Petry, Weber (in that order) for futures. But this is not no Kessel or Capatain pylon type liquidation.

Young fringe Grade A prospects, 1st, and 2nd round picks. If you can't afford to trade these away, don't call.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
He should have decent value, every team will be able to afford him and he could fit into any lineup in the NHL. 2nd +

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
In both his 20 goal seasons he averaged about 15.30 minutes that's basically what a middle six player gets and is what he is no?

Do you know about commas and periods? Look 'em up, they're fun!

As far as Byron is concerned, he's had two and a half back to back great seasons now, playing under two different coaches. Don't know what didn't work out elsewhere or why but he is very valuable now. He's a really good two-way player who is an absolute rocket on skates. He's a smart player who uses his explosiveness very well and remains a consistent threat on the PK. His place is ideally in the middle six, he will gladly accept any role from 1st to 4th line in emergencies. He will not look out of place thanks to his hockey sense and speed.

People think he's a diminutive winger with speed and a shot and nothing. He's more than that. He's smart, versatile. He's a class act and works consistently hard. And man, he is the toughest, coolest smurf I have seen since Theoren Fleury. He is feisty, goes headfirst into traffic and battles, which he often wins even against much bigger players. He's not afraid to throw hits either and hitting him does not slow him down or change his game. After seeing him play three seasons like that unscathed, I don't have any issues at all about his size.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Not all teams stack up their lines in order of talent. Under the right situation, Byron can be on the top line if he fits with the right line-mates. Does Hyman deserve to be on the 1st line for the Leafs? How about Wilson with the Caps?

You should change your post to say, he is not the guy who should play on the PP.

Well, let's say then it would require very special circumstances to have Byron playing regularly on your top line. He really is not able to generate much with the puck if he doesn't have a ton of open ice in front of him.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Him turning 30 next year and being a UFA will lessen his value.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
He carved himself a niche on a dreadful hockey team, with no real notable success with the other organizations on his pedigree.

You're talking rental prices, so maybe you find someone that is willing to pay a premium. In a vacuum, though, I don't think Byron is worth all that much.

He had a better season a year ago when the team finished 7 overall point wise...
Before that he was young and most CGY fans were pissed management put him on waivers and didn't give him a fair shot.
I really don't know how you came up with the bolded. Byron is exactly the type of bottom 6 players needed in this day and age. He's super fast, can play up and down the line up if needed, he can score, he kills penalty.

Edit : And right now he's paid peanuts

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Bergevin is a dead man walking.

MTL can only get 50 cents on the dollar trades these days. Expect a lot lower than you desire on a trade for Monsieur Byron.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Do you know about commas and periods? Look 'em up, they're fun!

As far as Byron is concerned, he's had two and a half back to back great seasons now, playing under two different coaches. Don't know what didn't work out elsewhere or why but he is very valuable now. He's a really good two-way player who is an absolute rocket on skates. He's a smart player who uses his explosiveness very well and remains a consistent threat on the PK. His place is ideally in the middle six, he will gladly accept any role from 1st to 4th line in emergencies. He will not look out of place thanks to his hockey sense and speed.

People think he's a diminutive winger with speed and a shot and nothing. He's more than that. He's smart, versatile. He's a class act and works consistently hard. And man, he is the toughest, coolest smurf I have seen since Theoren Fleury. He is feisty, goes headfirst into traffic and battles, which he often wins even against much bigger players. He's not afraid to throw hits either and hitting him does not slow him down or change his game. After seeing him play three seasons like that unscathed, I don't have any issues at all about his size.
This post nailed it and coming from a non-Hab fan to boot. Great post.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I find it hard to gauge but his name has been brought up a few times and I even heard some say they would prefer Byron over Patch. 2- 2nd round picks or late 1st seems right to me but who knows. I do know Bergevin values him and will try to re-sign him more likely. I guess it depends on what he ask for and how our season goes.

I just don't know if it makes sense to bring him back with the state of this team. I would have liked to see them resign Carr, move Byron for a decent haul and see if Carr can somewhat fill that role

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad