Value of: Paul Byron generic value

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
He is having a shoulder surgery, or had one in the start of the off-season... so his value is even lower right now IMO.
He's a really fast skater, hard working player who can score about 20 goals in the right situation.
I noticed players having a significant decrease in scoring the year after a shoulder surgery (Tanguay, Ehrhoff that I remember.) No or decreased work-out during the Summer does that to you I guess...

Last edited:

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
He is having a shoulder surgery, or had one in the start of the off-season... so his value is even lower right now IMO.
He's a really fast skater, hard working player who can score about 20 goals in the right situation.
I noticed players having a significant decrease in scoring the year after a shoulder surgery (Tanguay, Ehrhoff that I remember.) No or decreased work-out the Summer during does that to you I guess...
Lol those are your examples??...tanguay and ehroff...? Out of all the players who have had shoulder surgeries, very few have seen decreased production.

Reactions: jfhabs

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I noticed players having a significant decrease in scoring the year after a shoulder surgery (Tanguay, Ehrhoff that I remember.) No or decreased work-out during the Summer does that to you I guess...
I mean if he’a traded it’s at the deadline, so it will be based on how good he performed and what he can bring... as of right now people are gauging value with his recent seasons and it’s the only way to do so, saying he’a worth less because he had a shoulder injury is wrong because we haven’t seen how he reacted to it and if it affected him in any form, so yeah we’ll know his real value by the deadline! My guess is like most people here, 2nd round pick and b prospect or 2nd round pick and former a prospect who hasn’t delivered, for example like plekanec, 2nd ans former a prospect rychel.

If he has a season high, plays realy realy well, i could see a desperate contender giving up a very late 1st, his speed, almost a breakaway per game, and Elite PK play, not only defensively But the way he puts pressure and is able to create breakout on the pk is unreal!

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Lol those are your examples??...tanguay and ehroff...? Out of all the players who have had shoulder surgeries, very few have seen decreased production.
I wasn't gonna name guys like Lecavalier, Guerin, Prust, Mike Richards, for different reasons. Sure Byron played through it, so it's not like being hammered and hurt on the play with a big hit. (Lecavalier, Prust vs the boards twice). Anyway, as another guy said, we'll see by the trade deadline what he's worth.

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
Guys a warrior. It's probably smarter to trade him while his value is high but I would honestly rather keep him.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Easily a 2nd.

One of the fastest guys in the league, incredible penalty killer, and he's tenacious. He plays like hes 6'2.

He's a poor man's Cogliano.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Depends when he goes, he's worth slightly more than Grabner (2nd + Rykov) at the deadline just because of that cheapo contract. Even the most cap strapped teams should be able to afford Byron come deadline. He'd be a great push-add for a 3rd/4th line and pk upgrade.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
Minimum a 2nd but as was pointed out, he's on such a cheap contract that I can see the bidding getting to 2 2nd's or 2nd + pretty good prospect from the top teams if Montreal retains 50% to make Byron cost 575k.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Byron's value is going to vary on how he gets slotted. If it's to a contending team, you better not be expecting a 2nd round pick for someone that would most likely get slotted in as a bottom 6er. He put up 20 goals on Montreal with more time there. If he were to come back to the Flames, he would be on our 4th line. I would only pay at best a 3rd at the TDL, + a conditional 5th rounder if he re-signed with us.

I don't expect anyone knocking on the door for Byron if the asking price is a pick in the top 62.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
He's great 5 on 5 and he's a threat on PK. ES TOI / points he must rank higher than most think. he's good for 30 ES pts wherever he plays. guaranteed 15G. finds ways to score.

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
He's worth a low 2nd or a high 3rd. He's a 165 pounds guy who made up the most off his high playing time on a terrible offensive team. He's not going to have any kind of success wherever he goes after Montreal.

I don't think you know much about this player. First of all, he's easily worth more than that, secondly, why on earth would he not be successful elsewhere? He's got excellent speed, decent hands and kills penalties well. He will succeed and be a useful player wherever he is and it's laughable to suggest he's only worth a third rounder.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
At the deadline his cap hit will be approximately 300k.

He checks the boxes that contending teams look for;

-cheap contact
-good secondary scoring
-can play up or down the lineup
-great penalty killer
-extremely fast skater
-according to everything I have ever heard he is a great locker room guy

I think he gets a second and a B prospect.

Or even if you want to get an even better return the Habs could trade Byron for cap dump and a much better pick or prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad