Post-Game Talk: Pats drop to 10-2 and lose control of #1 seed

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Brady covered many warts for many years.

In most cases, he was enough to carry them much of the way. Vintage Brady was good for 12-4 and a trip to the Divisional Round at worst.

The years they won it, Brady was surrounded with extra pieces on both sides of the ball.

Now, Brady has been surrounded with spare parts on offense. What are they on defense? Couldn’t tell ya. They’re really good at shutting down crap teams. Other than that?

And the offense certainly is not good enough to overcome being down two or more scores. Brady’s turnovers stick out with a sore thumb, but the eyeball test doesn’t show me that he’s suddenly fallen off the cliff.

Even if they don’t win it this year, he and Bill likely get another division title to add to their caps.

I agree- Brady has been extremely fortunate with his offensive linemen and his receivers throughout his career. IMO it is one major reason he is in remarkably good health for an NFL starting QB- he's only had that one bad knee injury and has not taken anywhere near the beatings other QBs get every Sunday- I'll bet he's been sacked fewer times than anyone else over the course of his career.

This season it's different. He's getting knocked around and he's being hurried into throwing to receivers who (except for Edelman) aren't up to the usual standard. I get that he's not happy but he needs to just suck it up and get on with it, he's coming across as an entitled jerk.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
It absolutely would have helped, but's it's December - they should be on the same page by now.

Tom's done everything and then some, not going to blame him for taking the time he needs to be ready at his age.

He plays into February most years while the other QBs like Rodgers sit home so I'm fine with resting as much as possible at 42. 3 straight superbowls and fans are telling Brady what he needs to do is hilarious.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Know what would have helped with that? Brady showing up for OTAs like he always did before last season.

It absolutely would have helped, but's it's December - they should be on the same page by now.

Tom's done everything and then some, not going to blame him for taking the time he needs to be ready at his age.

I think of one the things with Brady, and I'm not trying to throw him under the bus for this, is that his focus is on preparing himself to play. He's bought into the "Do Your Job" mantra, so he prepares to do his job and expects others to be fully capable of doing theirs. I think that's part of why his chemistry with younger players has struggled compared to vets. Those younger players aren't yet ready to do their jobs, and he's not going to change how he does things to accommodate for that.

It should come as no surprise that the years he's struggled the most are when they've had significant changes in the receiver corps (2006, 2013, 2019). 2007 is the one outlier, and that's just because the combo of Moss and Welker was just too talented.

They went 5 years without drafting a WR or TE in the top 3 rounds, where you're more likely to get quality talent. It's where you wish they had drafted D.J. Chark, James Washington, Michael Gallup, or Mark Andrews instead of Duke Dawson in 2018. Where you wanted Chris Godwin or Kenny Golladay instead of Derek Rivers or Antonio Garcia in 2017. Austin Hooper instead Cyrus Jones in 2016. Tyler Lockett instead of Jordan Richards in 2015. (I don't think I have to point out the pattern of terrible defensive backs, a position where they've been better than any other team at developing UDFAs making the fact that they've spent so much draft capital on them literally insane).

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
He plays into February most years while the other QBs like Rodgers sit home so I'm fine with resting as much as possible at 42. 3 straight superbowls and fans are telling Brady what he needs to do is hilarious.

No, that's not it at all. But there's a trade off to missing OTAs, and this is how those things show up.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’m excited for James Ferentz. How often does a 30 yr old hang around when he only has one start in his career? More Super Bowls than starts

Also The niners cut the kicker McLaughlin. I’d honestly rather take a flier on him and see if he can compete/take the job from gostkowski next year. He’s only 23, has made about 75% of his field goals, and made his XP’s (god bless)

Reactions: N o o d l e s

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
The O Line worries me...losing the Trent Brown of last year is a big loss (although he is underperforming this season) and then with Andrews out for the season, Karras hurt now who is going to play center? I like what I have seen from Wynn a lot, but he is really still just getting his feet wet.

I have a ton of faith in Scarnecchia, but the revolving door on the O Line as really hamstring the offense

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Know what would have helped with that? Brady showing up for OTAs like he always did before last season.
I agree. TB could have built great chemistry with Josh Gordon, Demaryius Thomas , Dontrelle Inman , Austin Seferian Jenkins, Maurice Harris and Bruce Ellington. Great bunch of receivers.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Prediction if Brady leaves.

He goes to a team with a good offense, Edelman goes with him, and all the FA's who want to ring chase will sign up to play with him en route to another superbowl. Hell play as long as possible making it painful for Patriot fans.

Pats will become a laughing stock and the national media will be pro Brady piling on the stupidity of NE every day. Fans willl blame hacks like F&M and other media idiots. Belichick will struggle and his legacy will take a hit as Bradys goes up.

It's all up to you Kraft. Choose your path

Last edited:

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

He goes to a team with a good offense, Edelman goes with him, and all the FA's who want to ring chase will sign up to play with him en route to another superbowl. Hell play as long as possible making it painful for Patriot fans.

Pats will become a laughing stock and the national media will be pro Brady piling on the stupidity of NE every day. Fans willl blame hacks like F&M and other media idiots. Belichick will struggle and his legacy will take a hit as Bradys goes up.

Does it ever get lonely on conspiracy theory island?

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Does it ever get lonely on conspiracy theory island?

So predicting what happens if Brady leaves is a conspiracy theory, might want to get a dictionary. Its also been the topic all week in the media. Do you think Brady wont go to an offense that suits his skills, do you think other players wont go play with him, do you think Pats fans wont be upset?

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012

What would you predict McD does in said scenario?

Stay
Follow Brady
Go to different team

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

Stay
Follow Brady
Go to different team

Could see him finally getting another head coaching job. Maybe Dallas? I thought it was all setting up for him to be Belichicks successor but I'm not too sure now

As far as Brady goes, Manning went to 2 more superbowls after leaving Indy. I think Brady hasnt declined in arm strength compared to Manning so what ever team he would go to would have to offense set up for him to make a few more runs. Would love to see Brady get an elite WR to throw to.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Stay
Follow Brady
Go to different team
did you not forget, the Denver experiment with McDaniels, what current or past assistant coach that has come from here to go elsewhere has done what since going there, this includes O'Brien/Crennell (HOU) ; Vrabel (TEN) to name two prime examples, then there's Patricia in Detroit, if you need to go further...

McDaniels already backed out of Indianapolis, why would he leave

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Could see him finally getting another head coaching job. Maybe Dallas? I thought it was all setting up for him to be Belichicks successor but I'm not too sure now
cannot see Dallas, tbth, and having the Jones tandem oversee every decision, much less interfere pre and post game, the way Jerry does, as evidenced by Jerry's presser before Garrett even talks to the media

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
did you not forget, the Denver experiment with McDaniels, what current or past assistant coach that has come from here to go elsewhere has done what since going there, this includes O'Brien/Crennell (HOU) ; Vrabel (TEN) to name two prime examples, then there's Patricia in Detroit, if you need to go further...

I can only see him leaving if Brady does. The offense stinks and why would he want to coach a possible rookie qb with mediocre wrs. Sounds like a last place season to me which what the Boston media like F&M seem to be begging for

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012

You quoted the wrong post.

(And I'm a broncos fan, so no, I haven't forgotten anything.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad