Post-Game Talk: Pats drop to 10-2 and lose control of #1 seed

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Brady has been mediocre this year. It's okay to say that. He's still the GOAT and could still win the Super Bowl.

I blame him way more for that interception than I do Harry though.
Just one point to remember . Harry was a 1st round pick, not because he had great speed, not because he ran great routes but because he was a big body that excelled in tight coverage and out muscling DBs for 50/50 balls. On that play he let a much smaller DB come from behind him and steal that ball. If you can't do the one thing you are supposed to be good at then what good are you?

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Just one point to remember . Harry was a 1st round pick, not because he had great speed, not because he ran great routes but because he was a big body that excelled in tight coverage and out muscling DBs for 50/50 balls. On that play he let a much smaller DB come from behind him and steal that ball. If you can't do the one thing you are supposed to be good at then what good are you?

A rookie playing his 3rd game who missed most of the season and training camp with an injury. Was the 32nd or w/e pick. Give the kid a break.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Harry being shit on that play (which he was) is not mutually exclusive from Brady throwing a bad pick.

I am definitely worried about Harry.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Harry being **** on that play (which he was) is not mutually exclusive from Brady throwing a bad pick.

I am definitely worried about Harry.
You can blame Brady for throwing a 50/50 ball but that interception is maybe 25% on him, 75% on Harry. I'm not picking on Harry but I expected a lot more from a 1st round pick regardless if he missed a bunch of games with injury. Every NFL team that drafts a non QB in the first round expects them to not only be a starter right away but a potential impact player. Right now Harry looks like a 4th-5th rounder.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
You can blame Brady for throwing a 50/50 ball but that interception is maybe 25% on him, 75% on Harry. I'm not picking on Harry but I expected a lot more from a 1st round pick regardless if he missed a bunch of games with injury. Every NFL team that drafts a non QB in the first round expects them to not only be a starter right away but a potential impact player. Right now Harry looks like a 4th-5th rounder.

Roby was draped all over him when Brady was looking At him, he should’ve done more but that’s on Brady. I don’t think that was even a 50-50 ball

The second pick that he threw which got called back almost gave me tuberculosis

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

No, sorry, I'm putting it on Brady. I've spent a decade ripping Maning for his pick six in the Super Bowl against the Saints for good reason. Bad pass by Brady. Harry didn't do anything to bail him out, but the ball was thrown to a bad spot to a guy well-covered.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Brady covered many warts for many years.

In most cases, he was enough to carry them much of the way. Vintage Brady was good for 12-4 and a trip to the Divisional Round at worst.

The years they won it, Brady was surrounded with extra pieces on both sides of the ball.

Now, Brady has been surrounded with spare parts on offense. What are they on defense? Couldn’t tell ya. They’re really good at shutting down crap teams. Other than that?

And the offense certainly is not good enough to overcome being down two or more scores. Brady’s turnovers stick out with a sore thumb, but the eyeball test doesn’t show me that he’s suddenly fallen off the cliff.

Even if they don’t win it this year, he and Bill likely get another division title to add to their caps.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Brady WR's except for Edelman right now are like Bergeron playing with backes and Ritchie on either side. We all know Bruins fans wouldnt stand for that.

I'd like to apologize to Brady for this sad state of the offense

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
F&M calling for brady to retire. One is a Packers fan one is a Jimmy G fan who despises Brady. All this at 10-2.
If we had a nickel for every time the sky was falling in Foxboro...

Everything was lined up for them to lose the first round bye last season, until it wasn’t.

Does it look bad? Yep.

Will I be surprised if they figure it out? Nope.

The naysayers are bound to be right eventually.

Last edited:
Reactions: CDJ and KrejciMVP

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Brady isn't the problem. Receivers not getting open/separation are. I'm also not crazy about the game plan either. You've got garbage at TE.
You've got 2 rookie receivers, a guy who's been here 2 months and the other two have had injury issues.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah tbh I’m not even a little worried. They had to fly in two planes because of the flu

I’ve seen multiple people call it the worst loss they’ve had in awhile as if they didn’t get completely massacred by the Titans last year

The defense is still really good. The offense needs to put them in better spots (no picks at your own 20, some sustained drives so they can breathe). Brady has been bad but the receivers aren’t getting open (outside of Jules)

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Brady isn't the problem. Receivers not getting open/separation are. I'm also not crazy about the game plan either. You've got garbage at TE.
You've got 2 rookie receivers, a guy who's been here 2 months and the other two have had injury issues.

The roster is the roster at this point.

So much of their success has been a product of tempo and creating mismatches underneath via TE, slot receiver, and pass catching back: Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, Edelman, White etc.

You suddenly lose a huge piece with Gronk, even though he was hobbled by injuries and was no longer his elite self, the rest of the supporting cast is a year older, and then mixing in new pieces that have not had time to gel with TB (blame him if you will for missing camps/workouts) and it’s not a recipe for success.

They’ve had success at times running the ball (Michel, Blount) as well as with the deep threat (Cooks), but their bread and butter has always been going no huddle and working those mismatches.

You lose that and what is your identity on offense? Take care of the ball and kick field goals. That works until it doesn’t.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
They have elandon Roberts getting consistent snaps at FB, they definitely don’t have their idea personnel

I think they can with it but there’s no margin for error

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Yeah tbh I’m not even a little worried. They had to fly in two planes because of the flu

I’ve seen multiple people call it the worst loss they’ve had in awhile as if they didn’t get completely massacred by the Titans last year

The defense is still really good. The offense needs to put them in better spots (no picks at your own 20, some sustained drives so they can breathe). Brady has been bad but the receivers aren’t getting open (outside of Jules)

Right. If the offense’s job is not to lose the game, they have to cut down on the turnovers.

They’ve had some killer fumbles and INTs.

Have to be willing to settle for the 3 or use the punting game to play the field position game.

Reactions: CDJ

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Ok, next question.

If we can agree that the strength of the team is the defense, let’s discuss how the offense is constructed as a “ball control” offense.

What are the typical ingredients of such an offense?

Strong offensive line and running game? High percentage passes underneath to gain key first downs and keep the clock moving? A quarterback who is willing to throw it away?

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Are there things to worry about? Yes.

Am I worried? No. After last year I'll stop believing when they lose a playoff game.

It's a nice luxury to have as a fan.

Also they are 10 and 2.

Reactions: CDJ

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I think one of the things with the offense is that it feels like they're at training camp level of cohesiveness. Harry and Sanu have basically had 3 weeks in the offense. They only found out that David Andrews was going to be out for the season at the end of training camp, and the offensive line is supposed to be "healthy" for the first time all season, but now Karras is out, not that he's great or anything.

Watching them, they're basically at preseason effectiveness. I think some are conflating Brady playing poorly with Brady declining. Physically, he looks the same as any other year. It's all mental, and I don't think anyone feels comfortable in the offense right now. Part of the trouble is that they had all of these additions to the offense right in the heart of their schedule.

There are benefits to having your schedule start off easy, tough in the middle, and then end easy, but the expectation was that they'd have gelled by the time they got to November. It's probably important to remember that their two worst games of the season were both on the road, while this is a team that hasn't lost at home in two years (10/1/17). Home-field advantage is likely gone, but they still have a chance to get a bye and at least one home playoff game.

The one thing with the offense that I want to see is visible improvement from week-to-week. It feels like that hasn't been the case this year, but there's still plenty of time left in the season. At a minimum, the redzone offense needs to be brought up to an acceptable level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad