Signing(s): Patriots re-sign Cam Newton - 1 year/close to 14 M

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
$6M plus incentives is nothing. They'd be dumb not to do it. It doesn't stop them from exploring other options. We still don't know what this off-season looks like, so having the guy who was there last year is helpful with the offense they run

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
At that money it's not a bad move i guess. Maybe with a full year under the Pats system and COVID being behind him he can play better.

Worst case scenario is he sucks again but at that money he still brings value as a gadget player/play package guy. As someone said him rushing for 12 TDs certainly has some value too.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
$6M plus incentives is nothing. They'd be dumb not to do it. It doesn't stop them from exploring other options. We still don't know what this off-season looks like, so having the guy who was there last year is helpful with the offense they run
If by some chance they had a chance to bring back Jimmy G, is that $6 mill to Cam guaranteed? I know in the past the base salary for some players becomes fully guaranteed once they make the 53 man roster.

Is the $6 mill that Cam got guaranteed right now?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If by some chance they had a chance to bring back Jimmy G, is that $6 mill to Cam guaranteed? I know in the past the base salary for some players becomes fully guaranteed once they make the 53 man roster.

Is the $6 mill that Cam got guaranteed right now?
Not sure but the Patriots have a ton of cp space anyways and that deal is worth it even if he ends up as the backup frankly.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
People had been saying all year how impressed and respected Cam became in a short time despite some of his play. The result is another 1-year deal so it’s any kind of commitment. Nobody should be shocked by this.
That's great. Now all he needs is an arm transplant and the Pats will be all set.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad