Signing(s): Patriots re-sign Cam Newton - 1 year/close to 14 M

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
NFL Update @MySportsUpdate
now
Breaking: Cam Newton is returning to the #Patriots on a 1-year deal, per @globejimmcbride.

200.gif

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Don't understand this signing whatsoever.

And it's not an overreaction. But if the Patriots don't improve this season, and the 2021 draft (Plus previous picks struggle) don't improve, you've got to think Belichick may be out.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
People had been saying all year how impressed and respected Cam became in a short time despite some of his play. The result is another 1-year deal so it’s any kind of commitment. Nobody should be shocked by this.

Sep 19, 2008
Don't understand this signing whatsoever.

And it's not an overreaction. But if the Patriots don't improve this season, and the 2021 draft (Plus previous picks struggle) don't improve, you've got to think Belichick may be out.
I don't think he'll be fired but it'll further cement the transfer of power int he AFCE from NE to Buffalo.

Buffalo - Josh Allen, pretty damn good

Miami - Tua time

NE - Washed up Cam

NYJ - Darnold / Undetermined (if NYJ choose to move on, draft QB?)

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Maybe the Pats just figure Cam is better than nothing, and just wanted to get him locked up to cover themselves in case they can't get Jimmy G or something else in the coming weeks, it sounds like a low risk deal with a bit of incentives up to 14 mil

Stidham must feel great that they keep taking a broke down Cam over him

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I am far from being excited about the move, but, if it means we are drafting a QB in the first round, I am fine with it.

Cam is a well-liked and a good leader. From all accounts, he works hard and brings a positive attitude. He can start year 1 and let the rookie develop a little bit. He would also be a good mentor, I think.

Cap hit seems low enough.

I mean, it is not exciting, but it can make sense depending on what the next move at QB is. If they do not draft an heir, then, I'll be a little worried.

Live and see, I guess.

Sep 19, 2008

People freaked out over 14m but seeing it's incentives it's fair

I still insist the Pats sign someone in FA or draft though. Going with Newton again as a starter in 2021 is not going to work out. And it doesn't matter if the Pats have all that cap space and returns from optouts. Newton took a step back last year. It is a huge gamble to give him another year.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
I am far from being excited about the move, but, if it means we are drafting a QB in the first round, I am fine with it.

Cam is a well-liked and a good leader. From all accounts, he works hard and brings a positive attitude. He can start year 1 and let the rookie develop a little bit. He would also be a good mentor, I think.

Cap hit seems low enough.

I mean, it is not exciting, but it can make sense depending on what the next move at QB is. If they do not draft an heir, then, I'll be a little worried.

Live and see, I guess.
Exactly this, if it means Bill is attempting to draft (and redshirt) a 1st round QB then I can live with it, otherwise I'll not only be worried but pissed...

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Good for Cam and good for the Patriots it's heavily incentive based but he's not going to do much unless they vastly upgrade the offense around him.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I love Cam but it was pretty clear his shoulder was damaged beyond repair after watching him last season. He's just not an NFL passer anymore

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
The Pats need to rebuild. Those patch jobs they did last season failed miserably. Newton wasn't that bad but i wouldn't say he was good either. He was average to just below average

That lineup is still full of holes , especially at offense

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side

People freaked out over 14m but seeing it's incentives it's fair

I still insist the Pats sign someone in FA or draft though. Going with Newton again as a starter in 2021 is not going to work out. And it doesn't matter if the Pats have all that cap space and returns from optouts. Newton took a step back last year. It is a huge gamble to give him another year.

I'm guessing the other 8M is probably non guaranteed as well, so if Jimmy G becomes available they could try to make a move for him still.

It's so funny seeing some Pats fans melting down over this deal when it's literally the sweetest low risk/high reward deal ever. Absolute worst case, Cam falls off a cliff and you've suddenly got a decent backup and leader.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Decent move tbh. Cam plays this year and mentors the QB they draft.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I don't disagree but the lack of offensive threats he could throw to certainly didn't help. It was not just Cam , the whole offense was just not good

That's right. He had no one to throw the ball to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad