Prospect Info: Patrik Nemeth

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Interesting article...Makes him look like just as viable for a trade as Big Rig.

One or both of them will get traded this year...which one goes first?

I'd say Nemeth because he played better than Oleksiak and may be worth more, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Nill use Oleksiak to get a depth guy like Matthias at the deadline instead of picks.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I'd say Nemeth because he played better than Oleksiak and may be worth more, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Nill use Oleksiak to get a depth guy like Matthias at the deadline instead of picks.

I would have said Nemeth is worth more up until this year. I think Oleksiak and Nemeth are probably of equal value...maybe slight advantage Oleksiak due to size and physical-ish play.

I wouldn't mind trading them both to be honest. We need more veteran presence on the backend come playoff time, and we have prospects in our system that have as muh if not more upside (Johns, Lindell, Honka).

Johns is probably NHL-ready and we need to test that before pulling the trigger from a depth standpoint. I'd want to take a look at Lindell on the big club as well.

Edit:

With 8 D on the roster on one-way deals. Is there any way to call up another D without waivers or a trade?

Last edited:

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I would have said Nemeth is worth more up until this year. I think Oleksiak and Nemeth are probably of equal value...maybe slight advantage Oleksiak due to size and physical-ish play.

I wouldn't mind trading them both to be honest. We need more veteran presence on the backend come playoff time, and we have prospects in our system that have as muh if not more upside (Johns, Lindell, Honka).

Johns is probably NHL-ready and we need to test that before pulling the trigger from a depth standpoint. I'd want to take a look at Lindell on the big club as well.

Edit:

With 8 D on the roster on one-way deals. Is there any way to call up another D without waivers or a trade?

I think Nemeth would continue to be more valuable at this point given what both have done on the ice.

It would be nice to see a 10 or 15 game callup of Lindell or Johns, but that isn't possible without some roster subtractions and it would be premature to make them at this point. I'm not sure how ready they are to be honest, Texas isn't as good as I hoped they'd be and they give up goals in bunches.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
It would be nice to see a 10 or 15 game callup of Lindell or Johns, but that isn't possible without some roster subtractions and it would be premature to make them at this point. I'm not sure how ready they are to be honest, Texas isn't as good as I hoped they'd be and they give up goals in bunches.

Yeah! What's up with Texas? You'd think they'd be really good given the high-calibre defensive prospects that they have down there.

Maybe our defensive prospects aren't as good as we thought?

Or maybe they are still too green?

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Yeah! What's up with Texas? You'd think they'd be really good given the high-calibre defensive prospects that they have down there.

Maybe our defensive prospects aren't as good as we thought?

Or maybe they are still too green?

Most of them are offense guys I think. Even Johns likes to join the rush.

masinaLFC

Apr 2, 2014
Banska Bystrica, SVK
I think that Nemeth's and Oleksiak's performances put Nill in even tougher position than it was at the start of the season... They have been pretty solid in their limited icetime and I'm really curious how will be this situation managed.. I would really like to keep them both to be honest.. :help:

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
I'm fine with trading either but not for another middling d man who happens to be a veteran and can move the puck. We need a real upgrade on defense, someone who plays well with or without the puck. Heavy emphasis on the latter.

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
I'd be fine with getting picks + prospects for Nemeth. Just trade him while his value is still high.

Hasn't looked to be close to the level he was at before. Feels like another Dillon situation, and if we can get a Demers for Nemeth I'd be ecstatic, but I'll be realistic and hope for some picks or a rental guy really.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I'm fine with trading either but not for another middling d man who happens to be a veteran and can move the puck. We need a real upgrade on defense, someone who plays well with or without the puck. Heavy emphasis on the latter.

I agree that we need a real upgrade on D...specifically an upgrade over Goligoski on the top pair.

Neither Nemeth or Oleksiak is the centerpiece of a deal that gets us that guy. The question is who can we part with to get that #2D along with Nemo or Big Rig?...Who has enough value?

Nuke?
Honka?
Ritchie?
Dickinson?
Shore?
Sharp?...I'd be very hesitant given his value in the playoffs.
Goligoski?...doubt it
Demers?... :(
2016 1st Round pick+?

I don't think Eakin+ either gets you there.

Just spit-balling here...I don't think some of the above get it done.

Would like anyone's opinion. I think we WILL make a move for a top-pairing D if we intend to contend this year.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
lets not touch Demers we need him.........

I wouldn't want to move him either...but I would for a physical, top-pairing D (basically a bigger/better version of Demers)...in a heartbeat if he HAD to be a part of the deal to get it done.

I would much rather move combination of vet D other than Demers, young Defensmen, forwards, prospects, and/or picks.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Trading Nemeth would be increadibly stupid.

A super offensive team like Dallas need a couple of stay at home guys like Nemeth (and Oduya) to win the Cup.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
Trading Nemeth would be increadibly stupid.

A super offensive team like Dallas need a couple of stay at home guys like Nemeth (and Oduya) to win the Cup.
No, what Dallas really needs is a true top pairing guy to pair with Klingberg. That would help to win a cup over anything else.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Seems as Jack Johnson is on the outs in CBM with Torts. Former 3rd overall. Stats are bad with the BJ's, and he has been a disappointment. Any chance a change of scenery type trade would perk him up?

Just looking at the potential targets for one of those Jim Nill steal them blind trades. I agree we still need a youngish, top pair D. Just wondering who might be available in a realistic sense.

Nemeth is ideally that shut down guy, but I can't get a grasp on whether he is living up to his potential either. Seems like mostly middling, some good, some bad type of plays, not like his rookie year when he looked like a future rock.

Indianation65

Oct 14, 2014
Currently, North Tex
I was wondering what happened to Jokipakka, and now I know. Coach Ruff has the luxury of shuffling several players and keeping the Stars on the winning track. Remember Jokipakka was just another player last year, but towards the end, got lots of playing time and got much better. He started out this year with lots of ice time, but due to other young players needing ice team, he's been a healthy scratch. It's not because he isn't good. That's how I feel about Oleksiak; give him more ice team and watch his game improve with solid, consistent pairing. The fact that he's a monster is so appealing. Don't trade him! Am I right? None of us is a coach, and we're all opining by watching from the stands or television, but once again, it's nice that Coach has lots of directions to go. It's the equivalent of having two good goalies!

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
He played 25 mins last night, what makes you think this?

Anyways, if we added him it would be a lot of extra baggage for the team with his bankruptcy issue.

Just saw some reports that Torts was calling him out more than others. I knew about his parents fleecing him and the bankruptcy, but if he can put it behind him as much as possible, he fits the size, skill set and age group, seems like the kind of "damaged goods" that might just be available for Nill to scoop up.

If he doesn't play to his potential, then its a bad deal. He may not be much better than JO or PN.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
He's not very good in his own zone, last I heard. More redundancy. No thanks.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
If we were to snag OEL... I'm not really sure how I'd react. Nill would almost certainly go down as one of the best GMs in recent history if he managed to pull that off and it led to a Cup or two (or more...? who knows).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad