Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
That makes no sense

I guess he means TOI-wise, and that makes a lot of sense to me.

The Jets do have material to have 2 first lines for example, or even traditional 1-2-3-4 -lines. But TOI-wise it seems that Maurice is playing 1-3-3-4 -lines instead, and I don't think that's optimal. To me the great material allows for much more even TOI we are experiencing currently. In other words: they should not play Wheeler & Scheifele as much as they do to play all situations.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Teams that cycle well have to be very skilled teams. The whole idea of cycling, whether it's a low cycle or a high cycle ( which incorporates the D), is to pull defenders out of position with misdirection , wear them down and open up passing and shooting lanes. This whole possession description is kind of nonsense, all good offensive hockey involves possession and cycling is a good offensive tactic.

The Blackhawks were deadly on the cycle when they were winning Cups. Crosby might be one of the best cycle players in the game...ever, the Sedins, Jagr, the Bruins with Bergeron and Marchand, Schief and Wheels, you can go on and on.

Cycling is essential in the NHL game, especially since all the obstruction and stick infraction changes. It completely changed the cycle game and how effectively teams and players use it.

I fully agree. If you look at the best cycle players they're all among the most skilled players in the game. The idea that cycling is 'low-skill' play is weird.

But no matter how much skill it needs, it's essential part of todays offense.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
In a 60 minute hockey game? I like the math :P

Does a goalie average 60 minutes a game?

:laugh: sorry i rounded them off

Seriously that was for illustration purpose. :popcorn:

You got 4 good lines but
You play 1 line 19+ minutes a game

2 lines in some games under 15 minutes.

My understanding of 4 line team is, the minutes at least are close for all the lines.

If your 1st line plays way more than your 2 other lines . I cant say that is a 4 line hockey team.

But i agree that we have 4 good lines.

But there are games they are not being deployed correctly.

Including blow out games when jets are winning handily and you see the ice time.

:huh:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I guess he means TOI-wise, and that makes a lot of sense to me.

The Jets do have material to have 2 first lines for example, or even traditional 1-2-3-4 -lines. But TOI-wise it seems that Maurice is playing 1-3-3-4 -lines instead, and I don't think that's optimal. To me the great material allows for much more even TOI we are experiencing currently. In other words: they should not play Wheeler & Scheifele as much as they do to play all situations.
Thanks i was to busy to explain it further that day.:D

Reactions: Halberdier

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Teams that cycle well have to be very skilled teams. The whole idea of cycling, whether it's a low cycle or a high cycle ( which incorporates the D), is to pull defenders out of position with misdirection , wear them down and open up passing and shooting lanes. This whole possession description is kind of nonsense, all good offensive hockey involves possession and cycling is a good offensive tactic.

The Blackhawks were deadly on the cycle when they were winning Cups. Crosby might be one of the best cycle players in the game...ever, the Sedins, Jagr, the Bruins with Bergeron and Marchand, Schief and Wheels, you can go on and on.

Cycling is essential in the NHL game, especially since all the obstruction and stick infraction changes. It completely changed the cycle game and how effectively teams and players use it.
Agree, and I'd go so far as to say that Laine's weakness in this essential component of the NA game is one of the reasons that Connor is playing ahead of him on the Scheifele line.

Profuse apologies for implying he may have a weakness :sarcasm:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Agree, and I'd go so far as to say that Laine's weakness in this essential component of the NA game is one of the reasons that Connor is playing ahead of him on the Scheifele line.

I agree. Laine is a high-skill player, with size and smarts. He can and will learn this essential skill. That much was obvious in the game last night. He doesn't always pull it off yet, but it'll come. Without belabouring the point, Schief at 20 could barely stand up in the corners let alone cycle the puck effectively. Perrault was probably cycling a puck before he could crawl. I have no doubt that Laine's game will become more and more complete -- and if not, they can confiscate his console.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

I agree that mighty Laine have a weakness, :) just like any super heroes ( he is now to hundreds of young kids. Mine was Teemu).

Though i dont agree its the reason kyle connor is ahead of Laine on the Schiefele line.

The only reason is Blake Wheeler.
And for good reason.
Veteran captain who just had 90+ points
And is one of the best RW in the game. Top 3 up to last year.

The coach wanted to play Laine on his strong side for defensive reason aswell.

Its ok to split wheeler and scheifele and have Laine on another Line.
The problem is the 2C right now dont work.
The 2C is also having bad offensive production. Jets need to get him going if they want to do damage.

I would gamble if Maurice cant split 55 26 (or dont want???... still scratching my head with 7 preseason game he didnt even try :huh: but he tried myers buff:help: )

Kc 55 26 《《 skills
27 28 29 《《 more awesome offense
85 18 ** 《《 more cycle and tire them out
CLT 《《 moooore cycle

The 2nd is a good line. That can be great .
Ita not a young line anymore. Ehlers have 3 years under his belt. Laine 2 years.

Its good anyways that your 4 lines dont show the same attack dump and chase.
Easy to practice and defend against.
Variance on attack is good :)

Lowry and Little line tire them out.
The top 2 line go for the jagular. :thumbu:

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Here is an article in finnish about gaming and Laine: NHL-seura kielsi videopelit pelimatkoilla – Patrik Laineelta napakka kuitti kuumaan keskusteluun

Main points:
- Vancouver forbid bringing consoles to road trips
- Laine plays less during hockey season
- He goes to sleep 11 PM or earlier every night.
- He says hockey is is "meal ticket", not video games - so he knows which one to focus.

So there should be no fear His hobby affecting His performance.

He seems to admit the dangers and to be responsible about his gaming which is good. But he also admitted to having played 13h marathon sessions during the season... Fortunately he also says he doesn't do those if he's got a game the following day. So it seems as he indulges even during the season, but seems to keep it in check, realizes the dangers and said he's cutting down on the playtime. So I'm not worried anymore.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
He seems to admit the dangers and to be responsible about his gaming which is good. But he also admitted to having played 13h marathon sessions during the season... Fortunately he also says he doesn't do those if he's got a game the following day. So it seems as he indulges even during the season, but seems to keep it in check, realizes the dangers and said he's cutting down on the playtime. So I'm not worried anymore.

Incorrect. He did admit that his record was 13 hours (waking up 10am and playing until 11pm). He did not admit having 13 hour sessionS during season. One off, and during multi day rest.

I just hope this Fortnite discussion is finally put into rest after this latest article.

Last edited:

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Incorrect. He did admit that his record was 13 hours (waking up 10am and playing until 11pm). He did not admit having 13 hour sessionS during season. One off, and during multi day rest.

I just hope this Fortnite discussion is finally put into rest after this latest article.

The article says, "Laine told IS during last spring (i.e. during the season), that sometimes on days off he can spend half the day on the console." And then he goes on to talk about the 13h session that he can't have those if he's got a game the next day. I also get the impression that the 13h session was during the season, because he said he had several days off after it, and I also read as it happening last spring.

I don't think your take is correct tbh. But it doesn't really matter as long as he can keep the urges in check, and he says he does realise the dangers.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
The article says, "Laine told IS during last spring (i.e. during the season), that sometimes on days off he can spend half the day on the console." And then he goes on to talk about the 13h session that he can't have those if he's got a game the next day. I also get the impression that the 13h session was during the season, because he said he had several days off after it, and I also read as it happening last spring.

I don't think your take is correct tbh. But it doesn't really matter as long as he can keep the urges in check, and he says he does realise the dangers.

My take is correct, your take simply was not. You can read Finnish, I suppose. There is simply no chance to intrepret his words like he had multiple 13 hour sessions during last season.

Laine:
"– Kyllä mää joinain päivinä pelaan aika paljon. Parhaimpana päivänä taisi mennä 13 tuntia. Heräsin aamukymmeneltä ja pelasin iltayhteentoista asti, mutta silloin oli monta vapaapäivää peräkkäin. Ei niin, että heti peliin seuraavana päivänä."

As direct translation I was able to do:

Laine: "-Yes I do play quite a lot some days. The best day I had [regarding PS4 gaming] it was like 13 hours. I did wake up 10 am and did play until 11 pm, but there were several days off in a row. Not like that you had a [NHL] game the next day."

Also if you wake up 10 am and go to bed 11 pm, you aren't actually even playing 13 hours. You need to eat and have some bathroom breaks. But let's say he was online 13 hours in a row.

Last edited:

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
My take is correct, your take simply was not. You can read Finnish, I suppose. There is simply no chance to intrepret his words like he had multiple 13 hour sessions during last season.

Laine:
"– Kyllä mää joinain päivinä pelaan aika paljon. Parhaimpana päivänä taisi mennä 13 tuntia. Heräsin aamukymmeneltä ja pelasin iltayhteentoista asti, mutta silloin oli monta vapaapäivää peräkkäin. Ei niin, että heti peliin seuraavana päivänä."

As direct translation I was able to do:

Laine: "-Yes I do play quite a lot some days. The best day I had [regarding PS4 gaming] it was like 13 hours. I did wake up 10 am and did play until 11 pm, but there were several days off in a row. Not like that you had a [NHL] game the next day."

Also if you wake up 10 am and go to bed 11 pm, you aren't actually even playing 13 hours. You need to eat and have some bathroom breaks. But let's say he was online 13 hours in a row.

You aren't quoting the correct sentence. He says, just prior to that, "Last spring Laine told IS that on days off he can spend half the day infront of the console". He then proceeds to give an extreme example, the one you quoted. So he can spend half a day (regularly) infront of the console during the season, up to 13h.

Which, ask I said, isn't the end of the world as long as he keeps it in check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad