Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

19GoalsInPlayoffs

Jan 30, 2017
Guys stick to discussing Laine, not posters or fan bases.
I understand fully that discussion of posters is not OK or desirable. But why not fan bases as long as it is not OT? Honest question.

As I think it gives some context to this general Laine discussion. Or how the player named Patrik Laine is portraited in these discussions. He really is (going to be) Jets first true ”superstar” since _very_ long time.

But I am not gonna keep this up, if it is not allowed in here. So no need to ban me or anything :).

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Since we are getting close to hockey time again does anyone remember if Laine was back in The Peg early enough to join any of the informal sessions on the ice before training camp started? Additionally when do those informal sessions usually start?

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Personally, I have never seen this end well - it encourages fans from other teams to invade local forums like HFJets to defend their honour, and drives threads OT.

Seconded.

But what exactly drive 'fans from other teams to invade local forums'?

It's objective history and facts, made the history and facts by a player himself - in this case Patrik Laine. For vast majority of posters of these boards it's incredibly hard to admit that they were wrong, impossible to change their perception even when every relevant and truly measurable statistics show they should've changed their attitude already. They simply become trolls because they cannot accept they were wrong in their predictions and initial statements.

Apparent "Infight" between (particularly Finnish) Fans of Laine is minor disruption in a big picture, because even in clear cases of disagreements whole cohort will be somewhat unified when "real" urgency demands it, regardless of a weigh individuals' put to this or that random matter or their exact perception and perspective in this or that particular topic. No breathing room for trolls in these parts of the site.

Finnish trolls can almost certainly perform better in their own home grounds, you know. ;)

Last edited:

Ares

May 8, 2018
Since we are getting close to hockey time again does anyone remember if Laine was back in The Peg early enough to join any of the informal sessions on the ice before training camp started? Additionally when do those informal sessions usually start?
He's flying to Winnipeg on September 3rd.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Really excited to see how Laine has developed. I realize he might never have that massive development jump, but some elite players do have these insane production jumps in their careers. If (and I realize I'm just playing what if game) Laine goes through similar jump as Stammer or Kovy, we might be looking at top-5 player instead of top-5 winger.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Anyone with Aamulehti access may want to report about Laine apparently having just been at Tappara practice shooting pucks at Niklas Backstrom in an article in today's paper. Paywall keeps me apart from any useful intel.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Either pay for the article or wait for someone to open it up. Don't actively promote people to give you/anyone paid content. It's poor taste.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Either pay for the article or wait for someone to open it up. Don't actively promote people to give you/anyone paid content. It's poor taste.
I didn't ask or expect to get to read it or anyone to post the article here, but just for someone to give the wide interested mainly foreign audience here the factual intel and confirmation about Laine apparently having participated at Tappara practice (because due to lack of access I personally can't do that, I can only educately guess that something to that tune must have happened as 40-y.o. N. Backstrom apparently has been goalieing him which is enough for me personally but not good enough for my reporting it forward to other people).

Copyright protects the creative work someone put into writing the article (which I didn't seek to infringe by reading it), but the mere facts presented in such an article aren't a protectable good.

Last edited:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I didn't ask or expect to get to read it or anyone to post the article here, but just for someone to give the wide interested mainly foreign audience here the factual intel and confirmation about Laine apparently having participated at Tappara practice (because due to lack of access I personally can't do that, I can only educately guess that something to that tune must have happened as 40-y.o. N. Backstrom apparently has been goalieing him which is enough for me personally but not good enough for my reporting it forward to other people).

Copyright protects the creative work someone put into writing the article (which I didn't seek to infringe by reading it), but the mere facts presented in such an article aren't a protectable good.

Well, I get your point and strictly talking about copyright you're technically correct. That's why I didn't say you're breaking any laws. I said it's in poor taste. If someone who has subscription (I myself do) to the paper wants to share the information it's fine. Asking for it is not. Maybe I'm being too strict but I know for a fact that journalists have it hard these days. Asking for the facts of an article is sort of like asking for a punchline from a comedy show. Technically you're not breaking any copyright agreements but you're killing the act.

Sorry if I come off as an ass and I realize my stance might be harsher than most. But it's work and I think it's poor taste to ask someone to share that work for free. If a person who's paid for the article wants to give opinion and notes on it, fine. But actively advocating for it is bit tacky and shady.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Posting material from behind a paywall opens the forum up to DMCA take downs, which are taken very seriously:

When a copyright owner provides Mandatory Media, LLC, the owner and operator of Hockey’s Future (the “Company”) with written notice that a user does not have permission to post the copyright owner’s content, the Company is required by law to remove or disable the content. If the Company receives a legal notice under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) asking the Company to take down content that you have posted or made available, the content will be removed or disabled and you will receive a “strike” against your account. If you receive three unresolved strikes, your account will be terminated and you will not be allowed to create a new account.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/help/copyright/

Be careful - if you have Q's as to whether something should be posted or not, feel free to start a private conversation with me, or email [email protected]

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Well, I get your point and strictly talking about copyright you're technically correct. That's why I didn't say you're breaking any laws. I said it's in poor taste. If someone who has subscription (I myself do) to the paper wants to share the information it's fine. Asking for it is not. Maybe I'm being too strict but I know for a fact that journalists have it hard these days. Asking for the facts of an article is sort of like asking for a punchline from a comedy show. Technically you're not breaking any copyright agreements but you're killing the act.

Sorry if I come off as an ass and I realize my stance might be harsher than most. But it's work and I think it's poor taste to ask someone to share that work for free. If a person who's paid for the article wants to give opinion and notes on it, fine. But actively advocating for it is bit tacky and shady.

We Finns can get the general idea from the freely available bit and guess the rest. I don't need anything more accurate for myself, but I hoped it to be reported for the benefit of the international audience (who are not potential subscriber base for Aamulehti) by someone with more accurate intel so they won't be dependent of my own educated guesses because I can also be wrong about something and wouldn't wish to spread mis-info.

It's off-topic and we should not go there but on the general note I refuse to be lectured about something legal not being "fair" for copyright-reliant industry who on their own side seek to limit the legal rights of the audience for which rights the audience actually has already paid for the industry in form of "cassette fees" for private copying and whatnot in every turn.

If I buy a ****ing VHS I'll ****ing watch it on a goddamn drilling rig if I want to.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Yeah, I think we're getting too OT. I'm not even entirely opposed to your stance. But I do disagree with your idea of copyright boundaries and so does every single judicial court in the world. Your stance frees people up to film theatre shows and let people to view those films at will. It's unsupportive and unrealistic stance to take. Just because it's not material doesn't mean you have the right to use it as your will.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Posting material from behind a paywall opens the forum up to DMCA take downs, which are taken very seriously:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/help/copyright/

Be careful - if you have Q's as to whether something should be posted or not, feel free to start a private conversation with me, or email [email protected]

As it should be. There is the Fair Use doctrine which generally allows small bits to be posted even of copyrighted material but I have no idea how it relates to the DMCA take-down requests. Obviously forum such as this wishes to play it safe which is good for everyone to remember. With this PSA I shut up.

At the same time, mere information about something having happened or not happened should be a free go and not something that belongs exclusively to Aamulehti or their readership whether or not it was them who initially reported it.

@Plural, I obviously can't film a film and post it or copypaste the article and post it, but I can tell you in my own words that Indiana Jones escaped a big rock and Patrik practiced in Hakametsa. Live acts such as theater have their own legal protection at least in Finnish law (TOL 45 §).

Last edited:
Reactions: Plural

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
As it should be. There is the Fair Use doctrine which generally allows small bits to be posted even of copyrighted material but I have no idea how it relates to the DMCA take-down requests.

Not from behind a paywall.

The DMCA take-down requests are pretty formal, and only affect the site if we don't remove the material immediately. The strike goes against the user's account, which is why I state you should be careful. 3 strikes and you're permanently banned - this is part of the DMCA requirements in the US.

I can tell you in my own words that Indiana Jones escaped a big rock and Patrik practiced in Hakametsa. Live acts such as theater have their own legal protection at least in Finnish law (TOL 45 §).

For the most part, this is true. For the bolded bit, HFBoards operates under US law, so be careful.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Anyone with Aamulehti access may want to report about Laine apparently having just been at Tappara practice shooting pucks at Niklas Backstrom in an article in today's paper. Paywall keeps me apart from any useful intel.

Aamulehti had 3-page story about Patrik Laine and his 80 NHL regular season goals. About half of that were just images, and one page consisted mostly just an index of all the goals: date, period, shoot type, es/pp/empty netter etc., plus of course separate shot location graphs for rookie and sophmore seasons...

Look for posts @Se829ne and you get much better version of those. But for a newspaper they were cool.

Some interesting notes included how big portion of those goals were made with either quick wrister or an one-timer. And Laine commented that there is currently so little time and space in NHL that he needs to peak how goalie is positioned before he gets the puck as then he just has to shoot the puck quickly to that spot he thinks will be open.

Also just short story about how he did beat Bäckström on Tappara's on-ice training with a wrister that hit the top bar and went to top self, even though Laine looked so relaxed before the shot. Just so accurate and hard shot for that veteran ex-NHL goalie.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Thanks,@Halberdier . Judging from the title the AL online article seemed to be only about Laine having been in Tappara practice shooting at Backstrom, so apparently online version of the short story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad