Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Thanks that helps. This is something both Morrissey and Lowry went through, Josh and Adam intentionally added weight during the their off seasons a few years back and it negatively impacted their mobility. In both cases in the following offseason they reprioritized training and nutition around being lighter and it helped their mobility and overall games allot. I think this is a good step forward for Pate.

Ehlers as well, although his mobility never really looks impacted :)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Isn't it really funny that this happens with every single young Jets talent? Either they have a clear plan (which has been even confirmed by Laine and some others in interviews) to do certain needed things in a certain order without shortcuts, or the coaches and Dr. Slaunwhite are drooling idiots whom can't handle even the correct training and advice for the young players. I know what I believe in here.
Ehlers and Morrissey both said they made mistakes in getting too bulky, and Morrissey said Slaunwhite got him to change his approach. It's nice to think that young men always do exactly as planned, or that the Jets can get every player to follow a plan, but that's not real life. If it was, every player would come to training camp trim and in top condition. If you watch the camp fitness tests you see that isn't the case. A few years ago Ehlers was sluggish and lacked fitness. Last year Laine was in the lower end of fitness, along with Dano. I'm sure those results weren't all part of the Slaunwhite plan

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Ehlers and Morrissey both said they made mistakes in getting too bulky, and Morrissey said Slaunwhite got him to change his approach. It's nice to think that young men always do exactly as planned, or that the Jets can get every player to follow a plan, but that's not real life. If it was, every player would come to training camp trim and in top condition. If you watch the camp fitness tests you see that isn't the case. A few years ago Ehlers was sluggish and lacked fitness. Last year Laine was in the lower end of fitness, along with Dano. I'm sure those results weren't all part of the Slaunwhite plan
Yep. We've already been through this. Both Ehlers and Morrissey have confirmed that they made a mistake in their bulking. Trying to revise history at this point is quite silly.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I thought that this topic was beaten to death in the Laine's off-season training thread, but somehow it resurrected :laugh:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I thought that this topic was beaten to death in the Laine's off-season training thread, but somehow it resurrected :laugh:

It's impossible to avoid it 100% when it's offseason.

I'm very happy they went with more versatile training, many have wanted to see that.

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I’m happy that they have trusted their plan of bulking Laine up first to make a good enough foundation for training his first steps better. I’m also happy that they showed that Finnish trash journalist (writes for the worst trash tabloid in Finland) Solmu Salminen that he was a fool about his opinion of Laine’s training with Rautala. The guy is simply a clickbaiting provoker. Him and some others would really owe their apologies to Rautala. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Halberdier

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
It's impossible to avoid it 100% when it's offseason.

I'm very happy they went with more versatile training, what many of us here wanted but some said wouldn't happen.

No. Don't make things up again, again and again, pretty please.

Unless you did mean those who said Rautala is old fashioned, incompetent and whatnot. That he don't understand that ultimately you need to be fast and agile. But somehow I don't think you did mean those, and in fact, I don't care anymore.

Thing is, they have been said to have a multi-year training plan to gain best long term results. And that plan has different stages. Like you cannot just every year focus mostly on speed, as they were finally able to do this season, something we have been waiting for like kids before christmas eve.

If Jets did say to Morrissey and others that they made mistakes, about Laine they actually praised that he got all the needed strenght already last summer as planned and were pleased about the results.

[mod]

Laine is a project. Two years ago he himself said it takes some 5 years. I certainly did not expect him to score already 85 goals while being that raw and young. My expectations were somewhere along 60 goals, at most. For these discussions only I would like to just jump 2-3 years forwards. But actually I will just enjoy the ride, watching him to slowly become THE guy. He will never be that busy looking guy some are waiting for, sorry. Not his style. And he will continue to be the best Jet in winning (WAR / 5-on-5 goal difference / etc.) just like miracle, even though his Corsi remains to be relatively much worse than some other guys. If he fails to score, but plays otherwise very well, those GDTs will continue to be full of posts about how bad he is and blah blah. Because he is not busy.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Many of us here were after more versatile training and working on his skating technique this summer.
We constantly kept hearing how skating techique practises for Laine would be pointless and to expect more of recovery type skates in August. Which many of us had problems with and questioned whether it's maxing Laines development.

X even said have I even considered how skating as part of the program could ruin/hurt Laines development.

It's okay to focus on strenght at some point, that still shouldn't mean you have just few recovery skates at the end of August to get your skating shape back and then show up on camp looking heavy.
That's something some don't seem to get.

[mod]

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Many of us here were after more versatile training and working on his skatign technique.
But we constantly kept hearing how skating techique practises for Laine would be pointless and to expect more of recovery type skates in August.
X even said have I even considered how skating as part of the program could ruin/hurt Laines development.

[mod]

[mod]

I have said that Laine has needed to maximize and prioritize his training time to training his biggest weaknesses. He said this himself very clearly in an interview and Rautala has said it too.

I never said he couldn’t skate at all during the summer, just that it would not be as beneficial for him to skate at the same time when he has the hardest strength and explosiveness training. So skating then would have been in fact less effective versus skating after the hard strength and explosiveness training, because they have tried to maximize the strength and the explosiveness training. At that point you don’t get a real advantage with skating technique training. And anyway Laine’s coaches and trainers have really said clearly that Laine’s biggest weakness is with the lack of explosive strength in his legs, but that his skating technique is in fact good already.

Doesn’t mean that Laine can’t get some benefit from skating too. But it has to be done at the right time and in relation to how it will help the best with the more meaningful training that he has needed very much.

If you want to not make this thread about what was discussed already through most of the summer, it’s easy - just stop making claims that are untrue about other posters and about Laine’s training in general.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
[mod]

I have said that Laine has needed to maximize and prioritize his training time to training his biggest weaknesses. He said this himself very clearly in an interview and Rautala has said it too.

I never said he couldn’t skate at all during the summer, just that it would not be as beneficial for him to skate at the same time when he has the hardest strength and explosiveness training. So skating then would have been in fact less effective versus skating after the hard strength and explosiveness training, because they have tried to maximize the strength a e explosiveness training. At that point you don’t get a real advantage with skating technique training. And anyway Laine’s coaches and trainers have really said clearly that Laine’s biggest weakness is with the lack of explosive strength in his legs, but that his skating technique is in fact good already.

Doesn’t mean that Laine can’t get some benefit from skating too. But it has to be done at the right time and in relation to how it will help the best with the more meaningful training that he has needed very much.

If you want to not make this thread about what was discussed already through most of the summer, it’s easy - just stop making claims that are untrue about other posters and about Laine’s training in general.

You kept saying Laines skating technique is ok and he wouldn't gain much from working on his technique, and you referred to his last summers skating as to what expect. Which many here questioned
Which Laine in interview 15th of September -17 admitted was some skates 3-4 weeks ago.

I'm just happy he's lighter and has worked on his skating.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Laine will score 2 extra goals for every kg that he's lost during summer, mark my words! At least 16 more goals than last season incoming!

Reactions: GNP

sashalaine

Apr 2, 2016
Helsinki
Please guys. Some believe this summer they made adjustments to previous mistakes, some believe they have a longer term plan they are following. Just agree to disagree and stop ruining every Laine topic with the same shit already. The "discussion" is mostly just intentional misunderstanding and trolling, so don't even bother.

I'm getting pretty excited about the season and right now I feel that it would be a surprise if he didn't hit 50 goals. He definitely looks leaner and feeling (and being) faster could give him also a nice confidence boost.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Please guys. Some believe this summer they made adjustments to previous mistakes, some believe they have a longer term plan they are following. Just agree to disagree and stop ruining every Laine topic with the same **** already. The "discussion" is mostly just intentional misunderstanding and trolling, so don't even bother.

I'm getting pretty excited about the season and right now I feel that it would be a surprise if he didn't hit 50 goals. He definitely looks leaner and feeling (and being) faster could give him also a nice confidence boost.

Some of those just painted his this summers training differently than it was. Which lead to all kind of fun talks.

I have faith in the kid and money on him winning the Rocket this season. I believe improved speed/quickness will make him deadlier and Ovy could have a Cup hangover on regular season.
Just wish he stays healthy and gets to keep developing.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I will say that those stats with TOI are unbelievable. IMO we need to find a way to put Laine on the top line. You just can't NOT give that goal scoring all the available minutes.
And if that wasn’t amazing enough - just think about the fact that he hasn’t had even half of the time a real top class playmaker playing with him.

Get him to play with an elite playmaker and get him to play the Ovechkin kind of minutes, and you have a true hockey legend coming up. Not only in Laine, but in the whole Jets team as a whole. The foundation of the team is really that good already.

You just need to use the roster much more efficiently. That’s why I have been criticizing Maurice occasionally. The Jets have been good even so far, but they could be still SO MUCH BETTER already.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed.....proof is in the pudding but I’m hopeful that he’s lost weight & has faster foot speed.......without that he’ll never reach his full potential.

Why the talk of him losing weight? He's listed as 6'5, 206. With that height and weight he is skinny.

He needs to improve quickness but he doesn't need to shed weight to do that.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Why the talk of him losing weight? He's listed as 6'5, 206. With that height and weight he is skinny.

He needs to improve quickness but he doesn't need to shed weight to do that.

I wouldn’t hold much weight into those posted player weights.....look at Buff as a example......many other examples over the years where clearly the players weight and/or height were not correct. Not sure what Laines weight was last year......but I highly suspect it was higher then 206 considering I’m 205 (and not considered “big”) and I’m not close to 6’5. Weight tbh isn’t a concern to me, it’s is he in good shape.....see Buff or Kessel.....neither have ripped bodies or low fat levels......but both are in good shape considering age etc. Kessel fitness tests were often amongst best on his teams.

So I couldn’t care less about his weight specifically......I care that he’s in good shape if he’s 200 or 220 or 230 I don’t care. Clearly first two years endurance was an issue for him....meaning he wasn’t ready for the nhl season which is understandable being a kid still. Going into year three expectations are getting higher especially we a new massive contract looming.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I wouldn’t hold much weight into those posted player weights.....look at Buff as a example......many other examples over the years where clearly the players weight and/or height were not correct. Not sure what Laines weight was last year......but I highly suspect it was higher then 206 considering I’m 205 (and not considered “big”) and I’m not close to 6’5. Weight tbh isn’t a concern to me, it’s is he in good shape.....see Buff or Kessel.....neither have ripped bodies or low fat levels......but both are in good shape considering age etc. Kessel fitness tests were often amongst best on his teams.

So I couldn’t care less about his weight specifically......I care that he’s in good shape if he’s 200 or 220 or 230 I don’t care. Clearly first two years endurance was an issue for him....meaning he wasn’t ready for the nhl season which is understandable being a kid still. Going into year three expectations are getting higher especially we a new massive contract looming.

I couldn't care less about his massive contract or expectations, just don't be fat and/or slow.

Last edited:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Nice to see Patrik Laine on the cover of the Hockey News Yearbook for 2018-19 (although he's sharing it with Vancouver's Brock Boeser). THN has also picked the Jets to win the Stanley Cup in 2019.

001_VAN_Cover_UPC_580x.jpg

:jets

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Guys stick to discussing Laine, not posters or fan bases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad