Player Discussion: Patrik Laine Part VIII: Eliitti! Mod Warning Post #571

Status
Not open for further replies.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Laine is 19 and on pace for 30 plus goals. Kids allright. He will get better with age. He was drafted for his ability to score not his D play... As he gets older he will get better defensively

I love the Jets ever since they came back to Canada but now since everyone is on the Laine train not so much any more!! do you know why he is the firs man back? He cannot keep up if he loses his man that is why he stays back to cover the point!!! he is not great at defense that is a farce!!!

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Hmmm, interesting comments from PoMo when asked about Patrik Laine and how they see him and want to develop him.

Last 40 seconds of the video.

I don't understand a single point he made.

Laine scored 36 last year and now he is on pace for more so he's right where he should be? Maurice hello, last year Laine scored most of his goals 5v5, this year it is IN SPITE of his god-awful 5v5 production. No comparison can be made whatsover. I don't think the goal is to count how many goals Laine scores, it is to get the lines right.

He's not fast enough yet? Fast enough for what? To score a TON of goals?

Gotta give credit to Laine. This scoring pace is out-of-this-world considering how he is being utilized. Unbelievable.

SirKlaus

Nov 8, 2017
2017-11-02 Goal 5 vs. Stars
giphy.gif

This looked different from the feed I had :snide:

PUDyCEXn_o.gif

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
They talk about age of AI but even probably best / biggest AI company in the world can't translate Finnish into English and specially not english into Finnish. Just unreadable. Would be nice if you link the original article :)

Maurice is right in that video interview about Laine that he isn't even close to peaking in his skating speed and probably not even strenght. It is good that he understands that Laine is still kind of a "prospect" player.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
I think he messed up his summer training with that weightlifting bullshit. A guy who is naturally that big doesn't need to purposefully try to get bigger during summers. He needs to work on his weaknessess; stamina, that is keeping those legs wheeling and ball-game-speed.

Ball-game-speed is different to straight line speed. Track & field runners can enhance their speed with weightlifting but it's different with ball-game-speed. You can even mess up your speed focusing too much on weights and getting bigger. This seems to have happened to Laine.

StiffSquid

Nov 17, 2016
North Carolina
He needs to take some figure skating lessons lol. He needs more core strength and his skating really needs to improve , not that much speed wise , but skating ability. I can skate like a wind when I'm skating straight line but those quick turns make me break my ankles. Laine is not a very skilled skater either and you can see it.

And it's a beautiful thing. He's nowhere near a finished product , and that's scary. I think he has that 65 goal potential if he's scoring 45 now

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
He was training for muscle to move him faster, not biceps. It will come but that part takes time because it's physical development.

Power makes you move faster, not muscle(mass). If there are two athletes of same weight A and B, but B deadlifts about 50 kilos more, it is likely B moves his body faster.

Try putting on a 10 kilo weight vest and then go play basketball or something.

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
I love the Jets ever since they came back to Canada but now since everyone is on the Laine train not so much any more!! do you know why he is the firs man back? He cannot keep up if he loses his man that is why he stays back to cover the point!!! he is not great at defense that is a farce!!!

[mod]
What's the weather like in Toronto?

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
Big mass changes direction slowly. This is exactly why Laine shouldn't get any bigger. His agility is already a bit suspect.

A lot of track athletes try to get stronger without adding extra mass. Another example is Janne Ahonen. Guy is 184 cm and weighs some 60+ kilos and I've heard he moves around ridiculous iron for a guy his weight.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Everyone who is panicking over Laine's supposedly bad skating can take a chillpill. He may not be the most agile skater out there, but he is by no means slow and hasn't looked gassed out in games. The biggest issue is still his first strides that need to be more explosive, but he will improve on this with time.

He is on pace for 40+ goals already, but I am certain that he will pick up his speed in the second half of the season and be in full monster-mode come play off time. 50+ goals this regular season is still a possibility and I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it.

Couchcaptain

Nov 11, 2016
Lost in the wilderness
I can´t really understand why people are crying about Laine´s line. Everyone have to understand that he have played a lot last couple of years. He is just 19 years old kid. There is ZERO reason to keep him playing bigger minutes. (17) mins toi/game is enough for a rough 82 games season. +If you want to see same FORCE which he was in Finnish playoffs and WJC he needs some time to rest. Who cares if he does 60+ goals or plays like god at regular season... he needs to be that god in Playoffs. Coach always should rest hes best players and use grinders if there is chance for it. This team is good enough to take playoff spot, even if he is not playing with Scheifele. Just wait and watch.

I don't quite understand the age argument regarding TOI. I had most energy in my life at that age.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I reiterate. Laine's biggest problem is his own play. He's just not playing well right now. Which is amazing because he's on pace for 40 goals!!!!!!!
It's insane!
Imagine what he will be as he progresses and grows into his body!

sooni

Oct 23, 2014
Vaasa
I don't quite understand the age argument regarding TOI. I had most energy in my life at that age.

Well energy is not the biggest problem. He was gassing time to time last year... I don´t want to see that happening again. I´m pretty sure he will get some more playing time after 50+ games... trying to say here that it is better to keep him in shape and just give some time to develop... Rushing is stupid with young players. He have been proven that he is Superstar already. He will be more than that... just give him some time.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
There are three important rules in d-zone defensive play:

#1 Always stay between your guy and the net.
#2 Always stay between your guy and the net.
#3 Always stay between your guy and the net.

1-3 are all true rules, but you forget the only exception rule.

#4 Unless youre playing D or at least when youre playing D, and your guy goes behind your net, then you might have to wait in the front of the net untill he comes back from behind the net and do the rules 1-3. I mean you might go even behind the net with the guy, but that will only be succesfull if you - well - still can stay between your guy and net. But the net probably blocks you doing that and you end up chasing him and it ends ugly.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Considering his pace

Low minutes. 12 mins last game

Career so far 94 games
80 points
47 goals
His assist has realy taken a hit this year
7 game winning goals
13 ppg (just recently he is being used more)
17.8% shot %

Reactions: Legend Leinonen

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Didn't watch the game, but wtf, Laine TOI 12:44.. damn, he is on pace for 40 goals basically on powerplay alone. Makes you think what he could do with proper 5v5 usage. 50+ goals at least for sure.

Jets spent like what? 12 minutes on the PK in the 3rd? Laine doesn't PK... Thats why his ice was lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig