Player Discussion: Patrik Laine Part VIII: Eliitti! Mod Warning Post #571

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
And round and round we go...

Yes until something changes.

You do not agree with my rational argument.

I do not agree with your irrational opinion.

The change to that cycle can only be achieved by two things. Either you suddenly become rational and see the argument for the change.

Or they test these lines and we get new data which can then affect one of us.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
It's up to everyone individually whether or not to defend Maurice.

I'll defend Maurice in anything that is rationally defensible. This isn't. I don't have emotional ties of long term fans, so I don't support Maurice out of any feeling of "he's our guy even with his flaws". I think he is an NHL coach and that comes with expectation of rationality. What he is doing is not rational. I can't but attack it.

And I completely dismiss all of these "under coach such and such he would be worse off" arguments. They are nothing but statements and I happen to disagree with them.

Maybe these statement are based off following the NHL and NHL teams in some cases for decades. I'd argue that gives people quite a bit of insight in how NHL coaches work on a broad spectrum. No one is saying if it's right or wrong but I don't think it is a stretch to say Laine would have gotten less opportunity under other coaches. Again... not all but a sizable chunk of them.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Completely unbiased positions are a difficult thing to maintain. You may want to consider that when making statements like this.

Some people are able to recognize they have bias and even accept that they do even if it's not evident to them. Others not so much

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

The change to that cycle can only be achieved by two things. Either you suddenly become rational and see the argument for the change.

What of my statements were irrational?

How are yours rational when i don’t think many people are actually backing you on your exaggerated opinions.

It seems you’re living in a fantasy world right now where everyone else is wrong and you’re not because... well, because apparently you say so.

Reactions: Ducky10

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
It's up to everyone individually whether or not to defend Maurice.

I'll defend Maurice in anything that is rationally defensible. This isn't. I don't have emotional ties of long term fans, so I don't support Maurice out of any feeling of "he's our guy even with his flaws". I think he is an NHL coach and that comes with expectation of rationality. What he is doing is not rational. I can't but attack it.

And I completely dismiss all of these "under coach such and such he would be worse off" arguments. They are nothing but statements and I happen to disagree with them.

That is literally the case for every coach in the world... You will never agree fully with any individual on this planet. That doesn't necessarily mean your point is better than the other person and that you are warranted in attacking that person. One thing we do know is that he has more data then you do in order to make his decisions and that he has been doing it professionally for a very long time. I don't understand which of your qualifications would trump that and make you the more rational person.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Maybe these statement are based off following the NHL and NHL teams in some cases for decades. I'd argue that gives people quite a bit of insight in how NHL coaches work on a broad spectrum. No one is saying if it's right or wrong but I don't think it is a stretch to say Laine would have gotten less opportunity under other coaches. Again... not all but a sizable chunk of them.

Yeah and my opinion is different. I do not think he would have been coached any worse anywhere. I don't think NHL coaches are that obtuse in general. There could be more of them but I don't want to assume. Maurice doesn't have his record by accident.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Yeah and my opinion is different. I do not think he would have been coached any worse anywhere. I don't think NHL coaches are that obtuse in general. There could be more of them but I don't want to assume. Maurice doesn't have his record by accident.

Fair enough.. I whole heartedly disagree. I'm fairly confident that if he didn't have the best shot in the world this would be his rookie season.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

I (personally) don't even disagree with your opinion so much as your tone.
Name calling Maurice doesn't help anything.
Just relax and enjoy hockey a bit.
The world will not come to an end if Laine doesn't reach peak ultimate form in 2018.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I (personally) don't even disagree with your opinion so much as your tone.
Name calling Maurice doesn't help anything.
Just relax and enjoy hockey a bit.
The world will not come to an end if Laine doesn't reach peak ultimate form in 2018.

This! I think pretty much everyone wants to see the top 2 lines shuffled :laugh:

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Laine got to play in pretty much a perfect situation in his rookie year here. He had special offensive talent that justified playing him in the 1st line, however if he wasn't given proper leash and opportunity it's possible that his season would've been very, very different as his complete game for most of last year was very subpar for the NHL level. A lot of coaches would've sent Laine to the press box for some of the turnovers he made last year.

At this point I wouldn't mind seeing Laine shifted to the 1st line at all.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
That is literally the case for every coach in the world... You will never agree fully with any individual on this planet. That doesn't necessarily mean your point is better than the other person and that you are warranted in attacking that person. One thing we do know is that he has more data then you do in order to make his decisions and that he has been doing it professionally for a very long time. I don't understand which of your qualifications would trump that and make you the more rational person.

Yes I am only limited to public data.

If there is some major discrepancy between the publically available data and the data he has, then he should explain what it is because it's completely impossible to see the rationale behind it from the data we have.

I do not blindly trust his ability to be rational when his actions speak against what is rational. That is why I question him.

Asking me to just take Maurices mystic reasoning over the common sense one, due to his position as a coach, is a completely foreign idea to me. No I do not trust his intellect until he shows me why I should. He isn't showing it. Maybe he will. Time will tell. Maybe tomorrow he comes out with some data that completely contradict the publically available stuff. Or maybe he comes out and says "yeah Mark's been playing well with Blake, we are doing ok in standings" as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->