Patrik Laine Part V: The Man with the Golden Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Uh oh. The other guy is scoring goals again. Laine goals are all I have left to get out of this season. Hatty tomorrow, please and thank you.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Uh oh. The other guy is scoring goals again. Laine goals are all I have left to get out of this season. Hatty tomorrow, please and thank you.

Should have ran away with it when he could. Now i think its gone. So many rookies getting close to him.

Last edited:

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Are we anti-jinxing? Ok!

I think Laine kind of sucks donkey b***s, there is no way he is going to get any points this season anymore. All is lost. I have applied for a Swedish citizenship.

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I think Laine misses ;) me

Here you go LAINE

i'm getting your jersey so you better get on with it!!! :)

166gq2t.jpg

Last edited:

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Patty has trouble getting into position for scoring. He usually has at least one good look per game, but that is simply not enough if he wants to keep the pace he's at. He's probably having a bit of a confidence issue with his shot too, seeing how much he misses now.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Finally the goal that is mostly about luck!

Uh... oh... but, but, the guy must have incredible force behind his shot that it has high enough momentum to pounce like that. Wow also PPG! Great! :)

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Wow I guess my criticism of Maurice's stupidity in using Little as Laine's center is again being justified. Laine is now on a 4 game slide EV 0G and 0A with Little as his center.

Scheifele and Laine a Dangerous Duo

http://thehockeywriters.com/scheifele-and-laine-a-dangerous-duo/

Tried following Little these past two games. He's just not doing anything. He skates and waves his stick at the general direction of the puck. I don't understand, the guy was on fire a while back. These two kids need a center who's on his game.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I feel bad about bashing Maurice on Laine's PP. They are working together on it and it seems Maurice is respecting Laine's wishes on that.

Sorry Maurice, sometimes I forget I'm a noob on the internet. Strong opinions are for unwise people.

The rest of the points remain however, so I'm not absolving Maurice from anything other than this.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I feel bad about bashing Maurice on Laine's PP. They are working together on it and it seems Maurice is respecting Laine's wishes on that.

I'm not you, and I don't play you on television, but I wouldn't feel bad about that. It's just more of Maurice's inanities.

Scalping a few quotes from the Free Press transcript of that interview, we have...

Maurice: "We like them to do both. (Laine) and (Ehlers) were very interested in trying it, so we gave them that opportunity."

Events probably ensued something like this:

Maurice to Laine: "We want to try you on the right point."
Laine to Maurice: "Whatever you say coach, I just want to play."
Maurice later to yokels (including Chevy): "They're very interested in trying it."
Yokels (including Chevy) to Maurice: "We believe!"

Yeah, of course Laine is interested (and Ehlers). He's interested in anything that gets him NHL minutes, especially PP minutes. I'd bet the farm though that Laine is not MOST interested in that scheme, not when he's dreamed his whole life of doing what Ovechkin does and has had some success at it himself. I'd also bet the farm that he's not going to naysay the coach, at least not publicly and not until he has a few more years of seniority in the league.

Laine said it himself: "I just want to be on the power play. Coach is making the decisions. He sees all the stuff, in his best way, and I think that’s good for me."

Translation: "I just want to be on the power play. I'll say some nice stuff about the coach so it keeps happening."

Maurice: "We’d like to be able to have that unit have more than one look in their approach. And as they develop and get more time in, we should be able to flip those during a game, depending on whether they’re getting their shots off or not or how much pressure they have down low."

Translation 1: "Get ready for the blender again. Yay!"
Translation 2: "Chevy assures me that I'll be here for years. Get used to losing."

Maurice: "But (Laine) — and you saw it early in the year — on a power play that’s driven off the right side of the ice... did not excell at that (and) did not enjoy it."

I might be wrong, but isn't a PP that's driven off the right side of the ice the same one that had Laine lined up on the left, in his dreamed-for Ovechkin spot, and didn't Laine in fact have some success there, and would probably have had more had the puck been passed to him more?

Maurice: "So I’m working with Patty on the power play, not working against him on the power play."

Sure you are, Maurice. The same way you're working for the team -- not against it -- by playing Stuart on the PK and Thorburn at all.

TobeMessier

Mar 5, 2017
Laine is being sacrificed two ways for Wheeler. Wheeler exit interview would state he was not satisfied being with the second center Little and with being on the second team PP. Reflects bad on Maurice. Maurice, who can"t get over seniority and is likely concerned about a bad exit interview places Wheeler with the best center Scheif and gives him primo minutes on the left side with Scheif on first team PP.

And just like that article linked above both Ehlers, who having been taken off the Scheif line with Laine has dropped in his PPG from .85 to .65, so Laine has cooled off. Great job Maurice.

Last edited:

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I'm not you, and I don't play you on television, but I wouldn't feel bad about that. It's just more of Maurice's inanities.

Scalping a few quotes from the Free Press transcript of that interview, we have...

Maurice later to yokels (including Chevy): "They're very interested in trying it."

Yeah, of course Laine is interested (and Ehlers). He's interested in anything that gets him NHL minutes, especially PP minutes. I'd bet the farm though that Laine is not MOST interested in that scheme, not when he's dreamed his whole life of doing what Ovechkin does and has had some success at it himself. I'd also bet the farm that he's not going to naysay the coach, at least not publicly and not until he has a few more years of seniority in the league.

Laine said it himself: "I just want to be on the power play. Coach is making the decisions. He sees all the stuff, in his best way, and I think that’s good for me."

Translation: "I just want to be on the power play. I'll say some nice stuff about the coach so it keeps happening."

Translation 2: "Chevy assures me that I'll be here for years. Get used to losing."

I might be wrong, but isn't a PP that's driven off the right side of the ice the same one that had Laine lined up on the left, in his dreamed-for Ovechkin spot, and didn't Laine in fact have some success there, and would probably have had more had the puck been passed to him more?

Sure you are, Maurice. The same way you're working for the team -- not against it -- by playing Stuart on the PK and Thorburn at all.

I think you're bang on. Nobody in their right mind puts Laine on the right side on the PP. Makes no sense. Of course, nobody in their right mind thinks Maurice knows what he's doing.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

Perhaps Laine has learned from Trouba that the best course of action is to smile and nod during your ELC and wait till you're an RFA to become an ass hole. ;)

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary

He's getting the exact same powerplay minutes, just on the opposite side. You seem to think he's saying that so he doesn't lose powerplay time or something. I think you're just b******* for the sake of b******* tbh.

Laine had some success there, and then went 2 months without scoring from there. What's the definition of insanity again? I don't blame Laine for wanting to try something new. The right side may not be as favourable for him, but he gets a lot more space right now.

armyjoe

Nov 15, 2010
Nobody in their right mind puts Laine on the right side on the PP. Makes no sense.

He sometimes played there in liiga. Though he had right handed shooter on the other side so he could crosspass for onetimers.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
This is Little's fault???
Laine Ehlers and the D have no fault???
We need to put him on the LW and try Armia on RW with Scheif.

A line is a sum of it's parts. Right now none of the parts are performing.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that for Laine playing on a bad team for the first time is as big of a challenge as the (almost) 82 games. He's been winning his whole life, playing hockey.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Lots of junior players come from winning programs to the NHL via draft to weaker teams.
Ask Hawerchuk...

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Lots of junior players come from winning programs to the NHL via draft to weaker teams.
Ask Hawerchuk...

That's very true. I don't know, i'm grasping for straws here. He had a really good thing going last year in Tappara, I'm sure it takes some adjustment to put all that behind and actually start working like hell.

I just don't believe in a rookie wall. I think it's coaching at this point. I think a better coach (like Babs) would've already coached some of Laine's quirks out of him.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Matthews has gone through two longer periods of a "slump", does that make Babs a poor coach or poorer coach?
Most players go through them. You have to try to be good at other things when the other part of your game isn't working. Consistency is part of learning to be a pro in the NHL. Laine is young and still growing and in 3-4 years will be owning the boards and not losing the puck there so often and putting up better numbers than this year. I'm not worried about him whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad