Patrik Laine Part V: The Man with the Golden Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Do you think Laine would've benefited more staying in liiga for another year or two?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Do you think Laine would've benefited more staying in liiga for another year or two?

Is this a joke? :laugh: He is almost PPG in the NHL

Also Laine needs to start releasing that wrister a lot faster. You're not always going to have 5 hours to aim...actually probably almost never again.

Last edited:

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I'm aware of his success
But that success has to do with how he was developing in Finland

Scheifele continued to develop is his game in the O
Ehlers took another year in the Moosehead
Trouba stayed in Michigan(?)

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I'm aware of his success

Staying in Finland another year would have just further ingrained his need for nasty, dark bread and naked sauna flailing. Best that we got him out of there when we did. ;)

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I'm aware of his success

It took Scheifele 5 seasons before he was as successful in the NHL as Laine has been this season. It's a slippery slope once you start developing every player the same way regardless of how they perform.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
It took Scheifele 5 seasons before he was as successful in the NHL as Laine has been this season. It's a slippery slope once you start developing every player the same way regardless of how they perform.

Patrik is an 18 year old rookie that is producing on par with league superstars. I feel like people tend to forget that first part:nod:

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
Patrik is an 18 year old rookie that is producing on par with league superstars. I feel like people tend to forget that first part:nod:

He is having an incredible rookie season, arguably one of the best in European history as an 18 year old. He absolutely belongs in the NHL.

The past 2 games he hasn't played up to his potential, but that is very common for any rookie. He will get in the groove again once he rides another wave of confidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
People, including myself sometimes, forget how young he is and how he is performing relative to his peers and those before him.

I know that I have to reel in my expectations from time to time.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I'm aware of his success

Scheifele benefited from another year of Jr. but Ehlers was still Jr. eligible in his 1st year with the Jets, nothing much left to develop in the Q, certainly not his defensive game.

Trouba spent 1 year at Michigan.

As previoualy pointed out, Laine has over 20 goals as an 18 year old in the best league in the world, that's all you need to know to figure out he's where he belongs.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
He is having an incredible rookie season, arguably one of the best in European history as an 18 year old. He absolutely belongs in the NHL.

The past 2 games he hasn't played up to his potential, but that is very common for any rookie. He will get in the groove again once he rides another wave of confidence.

I'm not criticizing his game. He clearly has the skills to play in the NHL
He's a stop 30 scorer and a top 10 goal scorer in his rookie year at 18. Don't get much better than that

My question isn't whether he's good enough or not
But would be better for his development(?)
Obviously his trainers/coaches/teachers are what helped him to get where he is
Maybe play games with that group while he grows into a man would make him a better hockey player?

And that's why I bring up Ehlers
Scheif and Trouba
They stayed with that squad that got them there
But with Laine. It's the jets teaching him right now

TiimuSeLaine

Oct 23, 2016
He's a stop 30 scorer and a top 10 goal scorer in his rookie year at 18. Don't get much better than that

Maybe play games with that group while he grows into a man would make him a better hockey player?

Scheif and Trouba

Would it be better for his development if he stayed in Liiga or AHL for one more year, compared to developing right now in NHL? If that's the question, then; no, it wouldn't have been better.

He's playing top minutes in the toughest league, against top opposition. He's currently learning/developing in the environment and role for which the two lower level alternatives only prepared him for. Why on earth this would hinder his development compared to development in Liiga or AHL? On the other hand, IF he was playing only few minutes a game, in sub-optimal role, then one more year in Liiga or AHL would make any sense.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Would it be better for his development if he stayed in Liiga or AHL for one more year, compared to developing right now in NHL? If that's the question, then; no, it wouldn't have been better.

He's playing top minutes in the toughest league, against top opposition. He's currently learning/developing in the environment and role for which the two lower level alternatives only prepared him for. Why on earth this would hinder his development compared to development in Liiga or AHL? On the other hand, IF he was playing only few minutes a game, in sub-optimal role, then one more year in Liiga or AHL would make any sense.

Because sometimes the student is only as good as the teacher

And the teachers in finland were doing so fine job with his development.
And it's not like he was playing in a bum league with kids

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Because sometimes the student is only as good as the teacher

And the teachers in finland were doing so fine job with his development.
And it's not like he was playing in a bum league with kids

So here's a question: what benefits do you think would have been provided by having him play in a lower level league this year?

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Patrik is amazing... And he will only improve and become more dominant. It's a privilege to watch him grow.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I did not see Ehlers in the background. Nice. Who is pictured on top of the little guy?

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario

Scheif and Trouba

Scheif, Ehlers, and Trouba stayed down because that's where they belonged. They weren't good enough for the NHL.

Laine is good enough for the NHL. What could his coaches in Finland possibly teach him that he isn't already learning in the best league in the world? He's already a top tier goal scorer.

The Jets have the most to offer to Laine's development.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I hope it doesn't take too long for Laine to return to his pre-injury form. He looked much more engaged in checking and physicality than he does now. Don't know if the injury, the time off or something totally unrelated.

I realize that sometimes I think he's having an off game, and then notice that he's got points, but I still think he doesn't quite look the same yet.

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016

Scheif and Trouba

If he wasn't having success and his confidence was being eroded, then yes, it may have been good for his development.

It's been the opposite: he's produced at an ALL STAR level and has world class attributes (shot, playmaking...).

Better question would be if Kyle Connor would've been better served with an additional year at Michigan - that's a debatable question.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
So here's a question: what benefits do you think would have been provided by having him play in a lower level league this year?

I honestly don't know all the history of Laine so that's why I'm asking the question in the first place

The most I know about him is thst YouTube video I saw posted on here
Of him getting ready for the NHL in finland

But my thoughts would be. While yes; it's a lower level of comp
It's still a pretty high level for a hockey player at that age
And he'd be guided by the same trainers/coaching that's gotten him to that level

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I honestly don't know all the history of Laine so that's why I'm asking the question in the first place

The most I know about him is thst YouTube video I saw posted on here
Of him getting ready for the NHL in finland

But my thoughts would be. While yes; it's a lower level of comp
It's still a pretty high level for a hockey player at that age
And he'd be guided by the same trainers/coaching that's gotten him to that level

I ask again though: what would he learn working with the same lower-level coaches, and playing against lesser competition? Given his production and general level of play in the NHL this year, he was ready. Not all prospects are created equal - some require additional incubation at lower levels. I really don't think this was the case for Laine.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
IMO it would be insane to have left a player like Laine in Finland. He's gotten plenty of ice time. He was named to the allstar team and will likely be a finalist for rookie of the year. I think he has handled the "adjustment"

Last edited:

Vohaul

Jan 24, 2017

Scheif and Trouba

They did a good job developing him in Tappara/Leki but at this point I think he's developing better playing against the best players in the world.. he's proven he can already hang in there and excel and it also brings out the things he really needs to work on still.
I think he's in the best place currently for further development.

It'd be different if he clearly wasn't ready just yet like could be argued for Jesse Puljujärvi.

I bet Laine would be absolutely dominating in the Liiga this year.. would be entertaing certainly. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad